Planning for the future

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Planning for the future

Postby magicbutterfly » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:48 pm

I have no trouble being in the now and would really prefer to be here always. Yet I need to plan my future now, and each decision I make has consequences.
For example, I have been running a seasonal business for the past three years. So a big question is whether to resume the business (that is stressful, hard work and some money) for yet another season or let it dissolve and see what other opportunities arise? Others are counting on me to resume it. I would prefer to sit on a bench and focus on the paint peeling. :lol:
How do you plan your future without getting lost in it?
"As soon as you honor the present moment, all unhappiness and struggle dissolve, and life begins to flow with joy and ease." Ekhart Tolle, The Power of Now
magicbutterfly

Re: Planning for the future

Postby tod » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:49 pm

magicbutterfly wrote:I have no trouble being in the now and would really prefer to be here always. Yet I need to plan my future now, and each decision I make has consequences.
For example, I have been running a seasonal business for the past three years. So a big question is whether to resume the business (that is stressful, hard work and some money) for yet another season or let it dissolve and see what other opportunities arise? Others are counting on me to resume it. I would prefer to sit on a bench and focus on the paint peeling. :lol:
How do you plan your future without getting lost in it?

Thought provoking post Magicbutterfly. I imagine most of us are dealing with this in some form.

I am seeing that the more stress (and the more effort) there is in what I am doing, then the more ego is in it. Less stress, less effort, less ego, more in the now. So it is evident that anything I do that is enjoyable, feels good, is not really ego involvement, it does not really feel like I am doing it in the sense that there is no force or manipulation of myself involved, it is just a joy doing it; thus I am learning what joy is.

Hence I would say that if you decide (or joy decides :)) to resume the business, perhaps attempt to do it with as little stress as possible, which means doing it in a way that is more enjoyable and feels fun, exciting. This may well involve doing it in a new way, or taking more (enjoyable) risk. (As a side note, I note that anxiety is a negative way of looking at excitement, aka risk).

Thus, perhaps it may be seen that such planning can be enjoyable, can induce or extend excitement and joy as we think about a new way of doing something, a more joyful way, a way we may not have thought of before.

And the plan won't be set in stone, it just being a guide to bring more joy into life (your's and other's). Otherwise, as with anything, why would we be doing it :).
tod

Re: Planning for the future

Postby magicbutterfly » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:04 am

Hi tod, and thank you for your input - it's difficult to see the trees when one is lost in the forest and only sees the darkness. You have shown me the path out.
When I first started this business, I was passionate about it and it was fun. Yes, my ego was involved as well when I saw that other people were enjoying what I produced, but not to any great extent. I just loved creating. But as is true with many creative endeavors that become profitable, the real world interfered (as in regulations, government, bookkeeping, taxes, etc.) and this is where my headache lies. Perhaps I need someone who loves this challenge to take it over and leave for myself what I do best and what doesn't stress me out. :D
"As soon as you honor the present moment, all unhappiness and struggle dissolve, and life begins to flow with joy and ease." Ekhart Tolle, The Power of Now
magicbutterfly

Return to Personal Experiences