What made me wake up was the state of shock....

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Re: What made me wake up was the state of shock....

Postby Yutso » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:00 pm

Ashley 72 writes, "Once you realise that suffering is ok & very much apart of the human experience, you can utterly accept it (the state of shock)... this is when the avoidance stops & you start the healing process..."

I am so happy you are posting more often again. I really enjoy your voice of grounded reason. I love your quote that I cited. One of my favorite mantra's has always been, "This is a moment of suffering.
Suffering is a part of life.
May I be kind to myself in this moment.
May I show myself the compassion that I need."

Once compassion is nourished and flowered for our own self we become capable of compassion towards others. Enlightenment is inseparable from compassion.
Yutso

Postby ashley72 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:27 am

Hi Yutso,

Thanks for the nice compliment, and sharing that quote.

I agree you need to be compassionate and kind to yourself, before you can project that back on to others.

I've definitely struggled in that area in the past... i use to harbour envy and jealous towards others when feeling low about my own self image. Sometimes we need to go around the block before we realise what's best for our nourishment.
ashley72

Postby imago dei » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:33 pm

ashley72 wrote:Imago Dei,

That's great you're free as a butterfly. Thank you for sharing your story here.

I think this Tolle quote below is very apt in this thread.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could spare them from all suffering? No, it wouldn't. They would not evolve as human beings and would remain shallow, identified with the external form of things. Suffering drives you deeper. The paradox is that suffering is caused by identification with form and erodes identification with form. A lot of it is caused by the ego, although eventually suffering destroys the ego--but not until you suffer consciously.

Humanity is destined to go beyond suffering, but not in the way the ego thinks. One of the ego's many erroneous assumptions, one of its many deluded thoughts is "I should not have to suffer." Sometimes the thought gets transferred to someone close to you: "My child should not have to suffer." That thought itself lies at the root of suffering. Suffeirng has a noble purpose: the evolution of consciousness and the burning up of the ego. The man on the cross is an archetypal image. He is every man and every woman. As long as you resist suffering, it is a slow process because the resistance creates more ego to burn up. When you accept suffering, however, there is an acceleration of that process which is brought about by the fact that you suffer consciously. You can accept suffering for yourself, or you can accept it for someone else, such as your child or parent. In the midst of conscious suffering there is already the transmutation. The fire of suffering becomes the light of consciousness. ~ Eckhart Tolle

"I should not have to suffer"...is the start of all the Ego's woes.

Once you realise that suffering is ok & very much apart of the human experience, you can utterly accept it (the state of shock)... this is when the avoidance stops & you start the healing process. :wink:

Thank you for your wonderful answers and especially for your attention to my story, i confess it's the first time that i share this "secret" with someone. I even have a tatoo on my body which secretly reminds me of be here & now, no one knows about my "state of shock". And now, after 4 years, i have to say that maybe it's the best thing that ever happened to me, that terrible, total sufference brought me into the Now. You can't even imagine people, i couldn't talk anymore, nor sleep at night, attention problems....i grew up in a family where 2 persons suffered schizophrenia, and they strongly abused me (emotionally). Only violence and pain until the age of 24, loneliness, despair, this is how i'd describe my "previous" life.
Now i'm here and now, and i daily cry for joy, i can't describe how do i feel now....
Know thyself.
imago dei

Previous

Return to Personal Experiences