Rough day...

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Re: Rough day...

Postby treasuretheday » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:16 pm

Thanks for your kind words, Yutso! It's nice of you to stop by.

I am feeling much better about all this. All the support, interest, & concern shown here certainly has helped to brighten my outlook. I really appreciate it.
Life itself is the proper binge.
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Postby karmarider » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:16 pm

It's too bad, treasuretheday. Sorry about how it happened, but as others have said, every problem opens up the next opportunity. You're in good company--look up Anthony de Mello.
karmarider

Postby treasuretheday » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:19 pm

Oh, we were typing at the same time, Karmarider!

Thanks so much! Nice to see you. ( I love Anthony De Mello!).
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Postby smiileyjen101 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:19 am

Treasure said:

Smileyjen, I so enjoyed your beautiful post! Girl! You had me blubbering all over the keyboard. But then when I got to
smiileyjen101 wrote:
So, bless you - sacked from a volunteer position!! priceless!!!

I was laughing out loud!

:D Its all good Treasure, I'm as happy to have touched your heart as to have shaken it with laughter ((hugs))

Do you want to know how I landed in Rome?
... I did a kindness once that cost me nothing but my time and compassion. I hardly thought about it, but in the background of my life, it spiralled into some doors shutting, others opening...
Eventually, there I was... in a place I never thought I would be, marvelling at things I never thought I would see and hear and touch and feel - or smell (there's an awesome bakery, down some steps, hidden from street view.... :wink: )

All things are just passing through our lives, all things. I might have once called the circumstances of that kindness ...a tragedy, a truly heartfelt tragedy, a mess beyond belief, where all I did was what I could, with what I had.

Truly, truly, if you just 'show up' in your own life, your own life is truly amazing. Throw those doors wide open!!!

There's a saying that resonates but I don't know the author - 'Change' is the violence that throws us headlong into our future.

Life has more in store for us than we could ever imagine, sometimes we need a 'push', and so therefore sometimes we need a 'pusher'. Bless your chaplain friend - he knows not what he's done freeing you into the wider world
(maybe, maybe on some level he does :wink: )

One more thing about Rome, of which I do have incredibly fond memories - even of the attempted mugging/robbery I experienced there in the rather ugly struggle of the 'haves' and 'have nots' by perspective in this world - if anyone ever goes there and goes to the Trevi Fountain - its an amazing piece of beautiful architecture, so important, so famous, so brilliant .... as you're on the path looking at the fountain - look to your right - there's a street lamp on the corner. Somehow I 'feel' when they needed a street lamp to light the corner of the fountain a very normal street lamp worker did what he could, with what he had and he created the most beautiful street lamp I've ever seen. Most wouldn't notice it, it's there to light the magnificence of the fountain, but it is a work of art in its own right.

All of us are street lamps, in our own lives and in the lives of others, we can be ordinary, or we can be the best of who we are with what we've got, whether anyone else appreciates it or not.

The 'lack' of apparent appreciation from your colleague is just at distance from the 'overt' appreciation from your clients.
You didn't move, change, or do anything but the best you could with what you have, the 'scope' to see it, to 'judge' it 'good' or 'bad' just widened, that's all. And we all know, what others think about us is theirs...
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby treasuretheday » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:30 am

Ah, well, you got me blubbering all over again, SmileyJen! You're the Barbara Walters of the forum! :lol:
But blubbering is good for us, yes?

I enjoyed hearing more about Rome--it sounds so magical! I especially liked-
smiileyjen101 wrote:there's an awesome bakery, down some steps, hidden from street view.... )
My kind of place!
smiileyjen101 wrote:Truly, truly, if you just 'show up' in your own life, your own life is truly amazing
Yes!
smiileyjen101 wrote:we can be the best of who we are with what we've got, whether anyone else appreciates it or not.
I need to remember that!
smiileyjen101 wrote:Life has more in store for us than we could ever imagine, sometimes we need a 'push'
Amen, sista!

Thanks for sharing these uplifting thoughts. I love them, SJ. I so appreciate your kindness & wisdom!

Treasure
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Postby treasuretheday » Wed May 01, 2013 3:46 pm

Quick volunteer work update!

A few months ago I went for training to do adult literacy tutoring as a volunteer, but I didn't take on a student. This week, I made good on my promise, & called to see if any students were waiting for a tutor. The lady there told me there were three, but that no one wanted to work with one person in particular because he had a "short-term goal." Turns out all he wants to be able to do is pick out & read a birthday card to his soon-to-be 10 year old son. He's a 44 year old single parent who works as an auto mechanic. I told her I had no problem with his short term goal, I'd do it!

I met with him at the library yesterday for the first time. He's highly motivated, & clearly a loving dad. He showed me pics of his son, who looks very sweet. He said, "I know I should already be able to do this." I said, "Now is as good a time as any to learn! There's no time like the present." He seemed to like that, and said, "Yes m'am."

Poor guy, he's unfortunately my guinea pig. I've never taught anything before; I don't know if I have teaching ability. But I am very enthusiastic & commited to helping him toward his goal. I will do what it takes. I will just engage in the process as fully as I can, & we'll see how it goes!

I am definitely out of my volunteer comfort zone of the hospital/medical world. (But then again, the library is my home away from home!).

Reading is one of life's greatest pleasures & gifts, imo. I love words & am mesmerized when gifted writers string them together to create a work of art. I can't imagine not being able to read. I could get very evangelical about this...reading is so magical, I want the whole planet to be able to read! I hope I can make some small contribution to that end.

Y'all were so nice to take such an interest in my rough day. I wanted to share a better day with you too...
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Postby SandyJoy » Wed May 01, 2013 10:49 pm

Thanks Treasure, That sounds to be a perfect turn of events. And how sweet that is, to teach a dad to read a birthday card to his 10 year old son! Glory Be! That is very tender and precious. I hope you can do it, I bet you can. Let us know how it goes, please. Who knows what wonders may bloom from these gifts you are giving him. That is lovely, thank you.

Love to you, SandyJoy
You are not finished, until you play in that meadow and live there. You can, you know. But only you can take yourself there.
SandyJoy

Postby treasuretheday » Thu May 02, 2013 12:02 am

Thanks for your warm, encouraging words, SandyJoy. They mean a lot to me. I will let you know how it all turns out this summer through a PM!

Love,

Treasure
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Postby smiileyjen101 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:41 am

What a wonderful 'short term' goal, facing a likely 39 year fear-filled 'battle'.

The universe could not have sent him a more wonderful teacher-student /student-teacher :wink:

I'm sure you'll both learn much about how beautiful and capable each of you, and both of you, truly are.

On the kid's 10th birthday may he find, share, and show much generosity & gratitude (love).
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby treasuretheday » Thu May 02, 2013 1:25 pm

What a nice thing to say. Thank you Smileyjen.
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Previous

Return to Personal Experiences