In less than a week

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

In less than a week

Postby merlin41 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:31 pm

It’s hard to believe that I have only been on this forum for less than a week and have experienced so much. I came here in some state of confusion, looking for something but I guess not entirely sure what.

I have been reading through some of the current and older threads and am becoming more and more aware of what little I know of all this awakening/enlightenment stuff despite my having read so many books about it, and feel like a neophyte as treasuretheday put it in a recent post.

However I have already gained so much from the experiences and wisdom of the members (forms) here, and am enjoying my time here.

What I have noticed over the past few days is my egoic mind seems to be finally letting go, and my heart feels more open to all that is happening.
I experience bliss and some uncertainty alternately, which is weird and difficult to explain in words.
I have noticed that I no longer judge so much and as a result are able to be more present with people, I am living in the now and in silence more but still have invasions of thoughts from time to time.
Coming from a non-religious background I always had problems with God, even the word would make me flinch, but even that issue seems to have vanished completely.

I find SandyJoy’s sheer zest for and joy in life inspiring and is the way I want to live, with some of rideforever’s form thrown in, he seems to have no fears and speaks his truth as it is, which has made me realise how rarely I have done just that, especially in relationships, where I am a “people pleaser” and avoid confrontation at all costs.

I could go on with a mention of something that I have gained from all those I have come across here, so I will just say thank you to you all from my heart.

Namaste

Terry
Last edited by merlin41 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I would like my life to be a statement of love and compassion--and where it isn't, that's where my work lies.”
― Ram Dass
merlin41

Re: In less than a week

Postby kiki » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:09 am

I am living in the now and in silence more

Very good.

but still have invasions of thoughts from time to time.

That's par for the course. Over time those invasions will come less frequently and for shorter durations as you become more anchored in presence, and therefore more alert to thought as they arise.

Do not make thought into an enemy by thinking they must be abolished, however, because that will never happen. Thoughts have their place, but it's in the identification with thought where trouble begins as wars are declared against them. When you discover the illusory nature of the "thinker"/me/ego thoughts begin to lose their ability to fool you into identifying with them. Eventually you'll begin to experience the underlying silence and peace even when thought stream is present.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby treasuretheday » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:51 am

Bravo, Merlin41! Good for you.

I could have written what you wrote about SandyJoy & Rideforever. They are both indeed luminous points of light.

(Yes, "neophyte" still suits me well. I'm a slow learner, but I so appreciate every bit!).

Wishing you continued enjoyment and growth, Merlin!
Life itself is the proper binge.
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Postby smiileyjen101 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:16 am

It's nice to have you here Merlin. I really liked your introductory thread, and was touched by this -
Merlin said:
I had some sort of epiphany/awakening after the sad death of one of my grandchildren in a drowning accident at the age of five, in supporting my daughter in her extreme grief, my heart seemed to break open and strangely, (to me) in the very kernel of the grief, there was a state of bliss or ecstasy, impossible to describe really.

Grief is a wonderful leveller in what is real, and what is 'expectation', a huge slap in the face usually. Once one realises arguing with the reality is what is causing the suffering, the resistance in the form of the expectation lets go, I notice even with the gawd-awful there is love and beauty in the truth that is clouded by the resistance.

This nuance of acceptance is what I notice as the peace or bliss and at times it seems to go counter to the reality - if that makes sense, and also notice the resistance as the angst and suffering, not the actual reality - which 'just is' blamelessly, fearlessly, harmlessly, perfectly and purely 'is'ness.

Grief (the expectation > reality processing) comes in many forms and times in our lives, often overlapping like the story lines in a soap opera.

which I guess is all 'life' is really :wink:

Welcome, it's nice to have you aboard.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby merlin41 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:30 pm

kiki wrote:
I am living in the now and in silence more

Very good.

but still have invasions of thoughts from time to time.

That's par for the course. Over time those invasions will come less frequently and for shorter durations as you become more anchored in presence, and therefore more alert to thought as they arise.

Thanks kiki for your support, I have added you to my list of desirable forms to accompany me on my journey, :) I see your wisdom is scattered far and wide over this forum and much appreciated by me.

Regarding the silence I have found living without having the radio on in the morning or in the car when driving, helps make life so much more rewarding and real somehow, and it oddly helps still my thoughts.

A couple of links to videos of my favourite Rumi poems on the subject of silence, though much of his poetry revolves around silence and stillness

Become the Sky http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEYDAja1Fc
Love said to me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcUjLFfe6lo

and one on a A Silent Conversation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DqLBcxLEpQ which says so much about the human "being"

Namaste

Terry
“I would like my life to be a statement of love and compassion--and where it isn't, that's where my work lies.”
― Ram Dass
merlin41

Postby merlin41 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:33 pm

treasuretheday wrote:Bravo, Merlin41! Good for you.

I could have written what you wrote about SandyJoy & Rideforever. They are both indeed luminous points of light.

(Yes, "neophyte" still suits me well. I'm a slow learner, but I so appreciate every bit!).

Wishing you continued enjoyment and growth, Merlin!

Thanks you are a true treasure to be around never mind the day.

Namaste

Terry
― Ram Dass
merlin41

Postby merlin41 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:54 pm

smiileyjen101 wrote:It's nice to have you here Merlin. I really liked your introductory thread, and was touched by this -
Merlin said:
I had some sort of epiphany/awakening after the sad death of one of my grandchildren in a drowning accident at the age of five, in supporting my daughter in her extreme grief, my heart seemed to break open and strangely, (to me) in the very kernel of the grief, there was a state of bliss or ecstasy, impossible to describe really.

Grief is a wonderful leveller in what is real, and what is 'expectation', a huge slap in the face usually. Once one realises arguing with the reality is what is causing the suffering, the resistance in the form of the expectation lets go, I notice even with the gawd-awful there is love and beauty in the truth that is clouded by the resistance.

This nuance of acceptance is what I notice as the peace or bliss and at times it seems to go counter to the reality - if that makes sense, and also notice the resistance as the angst and suffering, not the actual reality - which 'just is' blamelessly, fearlessly, harmlessly, perfectly and purely 'is'ness.

Grief (the expectation > reality processing) comes in many forms and times in our lives, often overlapping like the story lines in a soap opera.

which I guess is all 'life' is really :wink:

Welcome, it's nice to have you aboard.

Thanks smileyjen I am coming to terms more and more with the paradoxes of the states of bliss/peace and the perceived reality.

Because of these inner changes, my close friends are finding me a tad difficult to understand and be with at times. They probably think I am becoming demented or have joined a cult :wink:

Its difficult to say much to them really without sounding preachy or evangelistic, as essentially they are asleep, and I have been there on and off all my life, so I know how weird I must appear (and am) :wink:
I guess more silence is the answer.

Whenever I feel my witness slipping away and losing presence I play this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6XGODkwaVI just to remind me.

Namaste

Terry
― Ram Dass
merlin41

Postby kiki » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:20 pm

Its difficult to say much to them really without sounding preachy or evangelistic, as essentially they are asleep, and I have been there on and off all my life, so I know how weird I must appear (and am)
I guess more silence is the answer.

Yep, that's pretty much it. You can't push this onto anyone, so "play their game" knowingly while watching from silence, and don't be surprised if relationships readjust themselves when it's found you have less and less in common because your interests have shifted. Choose your moments wisely in talking about this; when people are ready to hear something you will sense it, and then don't overwhelm them with too much. Everyone is on their own journey, whether they know it or not, but when someone else's journey runs parallel to yours sharing this will present itself in a natural and nonthreatening way.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby TemporalDissonance » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:03 pm

I share with Merlin41 in thanking the knowledge and wisdom on this forum as "I" embarked on my journey the past months.

kiki wrote:Yep, that's pretty much it. You can't push this onto anyone, so "play their game" knowingly while watching from silence, and don't be surprised if relationships readjust themselves when it's found you have less and less in common because your interests have shifted. Choose your moments wisely in talking about this; when people are ready to hear something you will sense it, and then don't overwhelm them with too much. Everyone is on their own journey, whether they know it or not, but when someone else's journey runs parallel to yours sharing this will present itself in a natural and nonthreatening way.

I am on a similar stage and noticed a fluctuating state between aloneness/stillness/solitude and loneliness having realized what "life situation" I have found myself in or the "the games we play". Part of me accepts that this is the suchness of things and trying to navigate, yet there's a part that wonders if it wouldn't be easier/better/more comfortable if I was in a monastery or in the mountains or something. Curious if anyone have advice on how to approach this?

Thanks
TD
TemporalDissonance

Postby treasuretheday » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:53 pm

Hi Temporal Dissonance!

If you have done the work of tranforming your being, of moving beyond the egoic mind, then as put forth in the Gospel of Thomas, you become a "living spirit." Maybe living in a secluded cabin in the woods could, on some levels, be easy and comfortable, as could living in a monastery (although in the monastery you are very much in a community, so maybe not!). But is easy and comfy what this life is about? Are easy and comfy the hallmarks of a living spirit? Would your personal growth continue to be served by ease and comfort?

You have a light within you. Why hide it under a bushel basket? Your awakened presence is a gift to the planet. It is the idea of being in the world, but not of the world.
Life itself is the proper binge.
-Julia Child
treasuretheday

Postby SandyJoy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:42 pm

TD, as Treasure says, you can't hide from Life.

I am a big fan of Treasure and her words and she has said it honest and true right there for you.

Really, all your friends and the things going on are so beautiful---Don't separate them from Your Self, they are the Same Light and Life as you are. They may have much to offer, even if it is in the lessons of "what not to do"---but do love them for that.

Enjoy what you see as a game, be like a little kid playing games with your friends. When I was little my friends would come over and we would play 'dress up' and man was that fun! My mother gave me a big box of her 'ball gowns' she didn't wear any more, and wow! would we have fun! Oh my gosh, I'd put on long white gloves and my friends would all be decked out in gowns of periwinkle chiffons, rose pink silks and draped deep red velvets, and glittered boleros and all those tiny silk buttons down the back of the blue lace gown, long dresses with layers of colors and we would get into that box and pull out everything and all dressed up we'd parade around make up our little stories and speak with noble accents --Oh Daahling You look ravishing, ---Life is Good!

Love It all, it is so wonderful, Love your friends, let them play with you, embrace Life, be tender and care about them for the Sweet Child they really are---make them laugh, bring them joy, lift them up, see them in their dress up clothes parading around in a wonderful story they are telling. Your view of them will free them or keep them hindered and held back from seeing the Truth you see. If you treat them as 'less than you' they will reflect that for you and to you. If you see them for Who They Are and Enjoy them For all their perfectly lovely oddities and game playing, then they will have a good chance of awakening too, they will see Who They Are by seeing It in Your Eyes. They will know themselves by Your Love for them, you will lift them up by the Light you see They really are---We are all This Awareness whether we know It or not, It is Being the Life and Light and Mind of Everyone of us, no matter what mis-taken view we might have--- that mistaken view is always happening Here and Now within This Awareness We Are. This Self Same Awareness I Am is the Same One They are--- So be happy, be the Joy you want them to be, and they will see It in you and you will lift them up.

Playing dress-up, thanks for reminding me of that, what a blessing, what a sweet memory, thank you---
You are not finished, until you play in that meadow and live there. You can, you know. But only you can take yourself there.
SandyJoy

Postby TemporalDissonance » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:58 pm

treasuretheday, thank you for your questions/comments, and SandyJoy, thank you for your playing dress up analogy.

I read your responses and took some time and be with them. I recognized there are some deep egoic thoughts and attachments to fear and comfort that is trying hard to hold on and shade what I have come to witness and understand. In recognizing them, the world quickly opens up but I am equally aware that these and perhaps other deep attachments will be surfacing as I navigate. Using SandyJoy's analogy, I fluctuate between a child excited and scare to join in exploring the unlimited potential of the dress up game.

Thank you.
TemporalDissonance

Postby SandyJoy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:11 pm

Oh, let me ease your fear if I can; It's not like its a 'game' in the sense of 'not real' it is more like its a 'real game'---how to explain this, let me try this: If you are a kid playing dress up, you are really playing dress-up--- the fun and the joy and laughter and costumes and the excitement and the box and the room and friends are all there, they are real, it all exists, but we are having fun, we are not being serious, we are not being limited in our Joyful Imaginations---Even our imaginations exist Here and Now as we play-dress up.

I am not saying its a 'game' in the sense that it is not real, I am saying we can PLAY with Life, It is our Friend, It our Love, It is Our Self-Knowing and It is Unlimited as to what we can do Here--- We can Play with Life and in Truth we will not get hurt or harmed ---

The Playing is Real and Life is Real, that is the Joy of It all, we are in Love with Life, and It is in Love with Us-- and we really can play with It, we do exist, the games exist, even in our dress-up cloths, Life is Who we are, so we do exist because Life Exists.

Even when i play a board game with you, we both exist, the board game exists, our fun and joy is real, we are just playing a game in and as the JOY of Existing and Not being afraid of the game, its our joy of playing because we Live and we are Life.

The Child, the heart and soul of us is Real, the Child knows how to Play-- Life Itself is the Real of Us. Life is Playing as You and Me--and Life is NOT afraid of Itself, Life cannot get hurt or make a mistake, or be a loser. We are Life itself, this Joy is who we are, we can have fun and enjoy the Wonderful things we get to do, if we want to, and NOT if we don't. It's all Here for our Love and Joy.

Does that say it any better- or explain it so you are not afraid of Life? I hope so--- <3
You are not finished, until you play in that meadow and live there. You can, you know. But only you can take yourself there.
SandyJoy

Postby rideforever » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:11 pm

I think what happens is that a child playing the game will begin to sense that there is something unreal about this whole game. Something painful. What is going on here ? And how did this start ? And ... who am I ? Why does it hurt ? What am I supposed to do ?

And so a search begins to answer such questions. And this can be difficult. And the answer can be found through love, or through intellect, or through energy, different paths.

After that is completed, then the child can choose it's direction once again ... to play the game now connected to the inner spirit ... or to do something else.

Many awakened people did not play the game again. And some did.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby SandyJoy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:04 pm

The Child, the True Self, the one you were before the world was and the one you forgot while you were trying to be something you are not, and the one who takes your across to the otherside when you leave this world, That Child is the Child that never gets confused, never gets hurt, never leaves Itself to wander off confused and seeking---This Child I speak of is the Light of your Soul and It sits at the right hand of God even now, It knows who It is Always, and cannot stray from Its very Self-being, It is the All in all of God's Love. You are this Child Always, even if you forget.

The Child I am speaking of knows Reality and Knows It is Reality Itself. So this Original Self whose name is written in God's book, This one is not afraid of Life or of the the changing, impermanent scene. This Child knows Life is Good and Life is All and Life is God's Alone.

We know we are the Everlasting Presence that includes all things.

This Child is not confused, it is Simplicity Itself. It us Pure and Pristine and Untouched by the passing scene.
SandyJoy

Next

Return to Personal Experiences