Now and Meditation

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Now and Meditation

Postby heidi » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:56 pm

In another thread there was mention of meditation and presence. Though I don't do mantra meditation, where I think the sound might interfere with the observing presence, I do meditate a lot, and often with a tape. Kiki mentioned something about the meditator possibly becoming indentified with being a meditator as opposed to just being. I found that interesting.
For me, sitting quietly meditating brings me to presence, and during the busy day I am able to be the observer because of the practice I get while meditating. When I can remove all of the bullsh*t I get very clear, and lots of wonderful creative thoughts that inspire me come through. When I get quiet I am super tuned to all of the sounds around me. If a noise such as an airplane going over happens, I observe it rather than, as I used to, think of it as an interruption.

Being in a state of hightened presence, for me, is helped along by meditating here and there. The quietness stays with me. I guess that's why it's called a practice :)

What say you?
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby summer » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:18 am

When stillness is always with you, there is never a problem.

I do meditate a lot, and often with a tape. Kiki mentioned something about the meditator possibly becoming indentified with being a meditator as opposed to just being. I found that interesting.

I think that what Kiki is saying is that if we are truly present, why would we want to meditate to become what we already are :lol:

I keep thinking about the "What the Bleep" documentary Where the physicists discover that Time is bleeping in and out of eternal Onenness every nanosecond. And the big question?

Where is Time when it is not here?

I am certainly not fully awake yet either. But I do know that our awareness is the precious ingredient. And then, whether we are meditating or clipping our fingernails doesn't matter all that much.
or
summer

Postby a_friend » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:20 am

I have to say I've had very few really good experiences whilst meditating. However, I have also noticed that when I am in the habit of meditating, then at other (totally random) times throughout the day, I find myself attending to the Moment at hand. I also tend to have a less heavy attitude towards life situations, as if the things that happen to me didn't matter quite as much. And when I'm not in the habit of meditating, I take life situations a little more seriously, as if I could lose or miss out on something if I did not make the correct decision or say the right thing. And I find myself frequently reacting (with resistance) to things that I don't like. So in general I try to meditate. For me, I tend to think the benefits are very real, but somewhat circumstantial. And the few very "special" experiences I've had while meditating are just gravy :)

a friend
a_friend

Postby heidi » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:13 pm

...if we are truly present, why would we want to meditate to become what we already are

Yep, and if we were truly present we wouldn't be reading Tolle and writing in this forum and trying to wrap our little minds around these concepts. he he :D

I really enjoy the restfulness and openness of meditation. Like rest, it's rejuvinating. I also find that I am more attuned to those little miracles and sychronicities that are happening all the time. I also connect to presences unseen. And, like a friend, I find myself more present and accepting in general. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in things outside ourselves, we need to go inward and get quiet. And as the practice continues, the stillness creeps more and more into everyday life.

Hey, what was Eckhart doing on that park bench anyway? :lol:
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby summer » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:02 am

Yes. I guess the question is what we each mean by meditating? I have never practiced any formal meditation. With a mantra, or a special ritual. So I don't really know what I am talking about :)

I have practiced Tai Chi for years. Walk out in nature every day. Spend quite a bit of time sitting on park benches :)
And generally live a stress free life.

Many people benefit greatly from meditation. And it is a basic tool in so many of the Eastern traditions that have existed for centuries. So it must be beneficial and helping a lot of people.

I was just trying to shed some light on what kiki might be referring to. That meditation can help us learn to be more present. And at some point the technique is no longer necessary because we are already in that state.

Probably, someone like Eckhart is always in the state that meditation teaches us to experience.
summer

Return to Personal Experiences