Attend live plays to train the still mind

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Attend live plays to train the still mind

Postby sibaroochi » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:13 am

It's one thing to reach inner stillness during meditation. However, it can be a challenge to practice stillness while interacting with people throughout the day, especially during interactions with coworkers and bosses. I found a great way to practice today.

I attended a live play put on by the theater department at my local university. Sitting in the front row, I practiced for 1 hour directing my awareness on the characters in front of me without any judgement. Through intense monitoring of my inner energy I could "feel" myself falling back into judgement/assumptions of the characters, unrelated feelings of anxiety about other areas of my life, being distracted by the characters' physical appearance without understanding their words. I would then intentionally bring myself to "be the space" where the characters personalities and being could unfold in front of me without judgement from myself. As I grew stronger in my stillness throughout the play I eventually started focusing on my inner body as well.

Attending this play gave me a playground of fake social "interaction" where I could practice my meditation with less fear and resistance from my ego as I would get in live situations.
sibaroochi

Re: Attend live plays to train the still mind

Postby kiki » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:51 pm

Attending this play gave me a playground of fake social "interaction" where I could practice my meditation with less fear and resistance from my ego as I would get in live situations.

Good practice, sibaroochi, and welcome to the board. The same sort of thing can be done while watching TV programs as well. Work your way up from sitcoms and dramas to news and sporting events. It's learning to notice the "mental hooks" that draw you back into story lines that keep the mind spinning away. Once you recognize those hooks arising there can be a releasing of them and a return to a feeling of presence.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Re: Attend live plays to train the still mind

Postby sibaroochi » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:35 pm

Good point. Thank you.
sibaroochi

Return to Personal Experiences