afraid of loosing the ego?

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

afraid of loosing the ego?

Postby cloud » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:00 pm

Hello All,

I have a question, don't know if anyone has had a similar experience. I have been living in presence for quite a time now and am aware of a lot of reactions i make to situations and able to create a distance between myself and the thinking mind.
Although recently i have been having a re - occurring thought that i am worried about losing 'myself'?! I know this is just my ego or possibly a final test of working out exactly what 'i am' After having this thought another thought often appears that is why should i carry this on, i don't want to loose my mind.

Any advice, experiences or feedback would be appreciated!
cloud

Re: afraid of loosing the ego?

Postby kiki » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:37 pm

Don't worry about losing your mind - mind remains even when ego/little me/myself is seen through for what it really is. It's just that ego will no longer be taken seriously anymore. It will remain functional, but no longer be the basis of identity.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby cloud » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:58 pm

Thanks for your words, I guess it's all part of the process. One of the intelligent threads that the ego uses to keep the attachment!
cloud

Postby ashley72 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:03 am

cloud wrote:Hello All,

I have a question, don't know if anyone has had a similar experience. I have been living in presence for quite a time now and am aware of a lot of reactions i make to situations and able to create a distance between myself and the thinking mind.
Although recently i have been having a re - occurring thought that i am worried about losing 'myself'?! I know this is just my ego or possibly a final test of working out exactly what 'i am' After having this thought another thought often appears that is why should i carry this on, i don't want to loose my mind.

Any advice, experiences or feedback would be appreciated!

The reason you're having those type of thoughts is because you're probably trying to force Eckhart Tolle's teaching's around the silencing of your thoughts. However, you can't actually silence thoughts. The more you tell yourself not to think something, the more you will think about it.

Tolle's teaching will make more practical sense, when you go back to doing normal activities again. Normal thoughts based around your normal activities will arise naturally. It's much easier to apply Tolle's pointer of "becoming the silent witness" with normal thoughts for normal activities than thoughts regarding his teaching about thoughts themselves. I had the same problem some years ago. I was focussed on his teaching very intensely, and as a result I thought about the teachings all the time. I was hopelessly trying to practice the teachings with the same thought trains you're describing above. Its only when you step away from the teachings (and return to normal life) do you realise, that thoughts that arise relate to your daily focus. If you're focussed on the behaviour of thoughts, those kinds of thoughts will arise moment to moment.... which may make the job of the seeker more perplexing. :wink:

Does that make sense?
ashley72

Postby Onceler » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:38 am

It was only when I found myself that my experience of life really changed. Get a felt sense of how it feels to be you. Direct your attention deeply to you. You will never lose yourself again, or worry about losing yourself. It actually can't be done. :wink:
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby cloud » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:41 am

Great comments, thanks for advice. It make sense now - You can't lose 'your self' when you have found yourself. Also i think it was a combination of reading too far into it. Like you said i need to resume what happens in my daily life - as this ideology is ironically taking me away from it!

I think it was a combination of feeling that when i am not thinking then 'my self' is slowly fading away'. This was combined by a video i saw where the guy mentioned a couple of people who were practicing presence over a long period of time became silent and could even operate in the normal world!

What was interesting was by this idea i questioned everything that i was following in what eckhart was saying.
cloud

Postby ashley72 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Cloud,

I've posted this video before, but you may not have watched it yet.

Take a look.... it addresses directly the issues you raise in this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO9qXjVprmw
ashley72

Return to Personal Experiences