A strong glimpse of enlightenment?

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

A strong glimpse of enlightenment?

Postby soap » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:00 am

As I'm sure you'll all relate to, Tolle's words immediately resonated very deeply with me. In putting his teachings into practice I began to notice immense wonder in everything around me quite quickly too, although as is common, usually not for very long. However I did remember joking to myself about the bits where Tolle says that the best opportunity for enlightenment comes in times of great peril, when life is unbearable. "Ah, it's a shame my life isn't so bad then!", I would think.

Then, a month ago, perhaps inevitably, my life was thrown into crisis like that of which I have never known. Tolle's teachings helped me a lot, but I'm definitely not free of my painbody. I decided to reread the Power of Now to see if there would be some parts that would now strike more of a chord given my current situation. I has the book in my hand, then the most incredible thing happened.

A phrase from A New Earth entered my mind, something like "these are all just human emotions, human thoughts". I then looked at the lightbulb in my room, and something inside me said "enjoy the ride". Suddenly I felt what I would almost describe as an out of body experience. It was like "I" was merely a spectator given the privilege of experiencing what it is to be human. Like I was experiencing everything from behind a screen almost. If you've ever seen the film Being John Malkovich, something like that! I realised how inconsequential all "this" really is. My room and everything in it looked almost like toys - like a replica model representation of something. The phrase "enjoy the ride" repeated itself numerous times. I was so overwhelmed I began shaking and dropped the book. And yes, it was sheer bliss.

After a few seconds I thought (and I should emphasis the thought felt very very faint behind the sheer awe of what I was experiencing) "Shit! This is it! This is what I've been reading about! I'm enlightened!" Then after a little longer I also thought that I probably wouldn't be thinking those sort of things if this was "pure" enlightenment. I began to sense thoughts (I say sense rather than think thoughts deliberately, some of you may know what I mean) like "this can't be happening to ME, this is only for Eckhart Tolle! Jim Carrey! Russell Brand!" :lol: Again though these thoughts were very much in the background, totally the opposite of my usual feelings of doubt etc.

I stayed in this state for 10-15 minutes, feeling somewhat clueless as to what to do. As the mind does, it will grasp onto anything - the fact I thought this couldn't happen to me led to me thinking about thinking those thoughts, etc etc. I tried explaining to my brother what had happened, and although I felt very peaceful the rest of the day, it was gone.

To be honest I'm not even sure what I want to ask you all specifically. Just if a similar thing has happened to you? Or your opinion on what happened and how I can build on it or whatever? Thanks for reading.
soap

Re: A strong glimpse of enlightenment?

Postby Fore » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:08 pm

Hi Soap,

This sounds like a deep concentrated state (an absorption state), they are very seductive due to their pleasant nature and one can be left craving for these states to return. As you noticed these states arise and can last for some time but eventually they pass away. They can leave one feeling very good and there are some health benefits to these states, but eventually the effects wear off and our day to day difficulties return. We are still not free from our sufferings, we are still not enlightened.

I am sure this experience has opened your eyes to a subtler level of reality, and I hope it triggers your curiosity to explore the depths of reality. From this apparent reality so focused on Soap to the subtler reality of just trillions of Soap bubbles coming into formation and popping, to the even subtler reality when the last Soap bubble pops and that thin veil is removed and you traverse the subtlest formless realms of the universe united with mere emptiness expanding to the four corners of the universe.

And I hope this also passes away, as that final universal bubble of ignorance pops and the ultimate truth of your nature is all that remains. And I hope that when this occurs and you return to Soap you will always have access to this truth deep within, and you will happily spend the rest of your days washing away the misery of others until there is simply no more Soap.

KInd regards,
Fore
Fore

Postby Nameste » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:24 am

I agree it could be something similar to absorbtion. I've been practicing an advanced meditation called jhana, which brings one to the "no self" state (there are 8 jhanas and each with expansive qualities beyond what I could say here). I did a 10 day silence retreat practicing this. I didn't get into the jhana state, but I did get quite deep and definetly noticed a split between my thinking mind and my awareness. I could easily see how I could get stuck in the thinking mind, sometimes simultanious to the experience of a more broad unitfied awareness. I could feel a constant background of peace while there. Since getting back from this retreat, I too have gone back to the "normal" world functioning state. But I do know the expansive state is there and I need to keep working on myself to more fully bring it to daily living. Frequent meditations and awareness of ones self is helpful. If you can, take some time for a more long and deep retreat.
Nameste

Postby rideforever » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:41 am

I do not think this is an absorption state from the Buddhist path ... but this is falling into the "I am that" that one reaches using self-enquiry.

You suddenly feel the "I AM" that is the root of your consciousness. Many people think they are enlightened or that they are not going to have any more life difficulties ... but this is just opening the door ... there is much more. If you read carefully the book "I am that" by Nisargadatta ... you may trigger this experience again and stay in it longer. You may also ask yourself "Who am I" and try to feeel the answer and it deepens.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby Fore » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:42 pm

rideforever wrote: If you read carefully the book "I am that" by Nisargadatta ... you may trigger this experience again and stay in it longer.

What would be the purpose of that?
Fore

Postby rideforever » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:30 am

To strengthen your connection with the beyond, until such time as you are the beyond.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Return to Personal Experiences