The Simplicity of Awareness - What You Really Are

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

The Simplicity of Awareness - What You Really Are

Postby kiki » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:35 pm

You are awareness itself, and awareness is always and already here. What is awareness and why do 'I' seem to lose it? The short answers are these: awareness is what can't be further reduced, it is simplicity in the extreme, it is the reflector of everything; and, you don't ever 'lose' it.

Perhaps becoming more familiar with just what awareness is may be helpful. Awareness is the ground of everything and is always here, but too often it is made into something mysterious when it is sought. So, drop all beliefs of what it is because it will never be figured out conceptually. Instead, investigate directly what the experience of awareness is.

Here is a little exercise that I sometimes tell people: You exist - that is a direct realization. Do you need any thought to know this, or is there a simple 'knowing' of this? Alternatively, make the attempt to disbelieve that you really exist; close your eyes actually try to convince yourself that you don't exist. Have you done this? Were you successful? Why not? Even if you were 'successful' what let's you KNOW that you don't exist? Awareness. There cannot be the knowing of anything if not for awareness. It's always here. Awareness is this 'knowingness.'

Look at something, anything. Without labeling what is seen or judging it in any way, what is the image registering in? The physical eyes and the brain are the mechanisms of the seeing, but the knowing that something is seen can only come from awareness - there is the 'knowingness' that an object is seen. A blind person doesn't 'see' anything - what lets them know that nothing is seen? Awareness. They don't conclude through thinking that they don't see something - it is a direct knowing/realization. Awareness is this 'knowingness.'

Close your eyes and think about what was seen. This may be more challenging. Notice the arising of the thoughts, but let there be a softening of focus upon them, as though you are lazily watching clouds float by in the sky. At some point you will notice the background upon which the thoughts arise (the 'sky' of awareness), and you will realize this background is the background of awareness which illuminates the thoughts. And then it will hit you at some point that this background has ALWAYS been here, but it was unnoticed. See if you can get rid of this background once you have seen it.

Listen to some music (with eyes closed may be best), instrumental may work best at first. Simply listen without anticipation of the next note, or the next word. The sound is what is to be noticed. The ears and brain are the mechanism in which the sound is perceived, but how is it that you 'know' that there is hearing going on? Awareness. There is the 'knowing' of something which can be called 'sound.' Notice that there is no need to THINK to oneself that there is sound - there is the direct knowing of sound.

In the music exercise, if thoughts arise which bring up storylines related to the music, go back to the observation of those thoughts - let there be the softening of focus upon the thoughts and notice again the background upon which the thoughts are arising. For those thoughts to be known/seen there must be something from which they arise that provides that 'knowing', and that is awareness.

You can do these little exercises with all of the senses. With each, there is no need to go back to thinking anything whatsoever if something is touched, smelled, heard, seen, or tasted - the 'knowing' of them happens first. Only later does the mind come in with its judgments, labels, and comparisions.

With the mind it can be a little more challenging because we are so used to being identified with the mind, and are conditioned by our egos to react in certain patterns. This is where asking yourself, 'Who am I?' can be useful. Actually look for this character you think yourself to be. Can you come up with anything other than ideas of who you are? Can you be an idea? Ideas are subject to change - can You, the real you change? Isn't there a sense that YOU have never changed despite whatever idea the ego is currently identified with? Again, when looking for the 'me entity' all you will find are ideas - notice the background upon which these ideas float. That background illuminates each idea with the knowingness of awareness. Without it there would be no 'knowing' of any idea of 'me.'

Emotions and physical sensations are equally 'known' first, only later (perhaps milliseconds) does the mind come in with its associated stories. How are emotions and physical sensations known if not for awareness. Let them be there - let there simply be the knowing of them and watch how they change. What lets you know they change or fade away? Awareness.

By reducing everything down to the essential background of awareness you will at some point realize that THIS is what you are, what you've always been, and what you always will be. Everything else will then be seen to arise out of this background of 'knowingness' which never changes, which is always here. The thinking about anything that arises is the moving away from this simplicity - it is the adding on of complexity in some form or another. To become lost in the complexity is to stray from the simplicity that you are, but only SEEMINGLY so. Beneath the complexity of ego/mind remains the simplicity of awareness/You.

Each of us is appearing as a 'human being' - the human part is the complexity, the being is the simplicity. Think about that - 'beingness' does nothing whatsoever, it simply is - to 'be' takes no effort because You already ARE That. This simplicity has been overlooked for too long - rediscover/recognize the simplicity of YOU/beingness/awareness or whatever name you want to call it, and the human part no longer is experienced as problematic.

My best to you all,
kiki
kiki

Postby heidi » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:00 pm

So, do you think love is an idea? Or is love beingness. I think when we strip all the crap away love - or the energy of life - or as you call it, beingness, is what's there consistently. Just as we are no-where (but energy) before we are born, and then we become now-here, and then we are no-where again, but the underlying beingness just is as always timeless. :lol:
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby kiki » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:10 pm

I would equate love with beingness - it accepts all unconditionally. It makes no distinction, has no preference, can never be harmed, and always is.

Turning love into a concept/idea is when love becomes conditional and often problematic.
kiki

Postby Anois » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:00 am

I would see love as recognising the beingness in others. As Jesus said "Love thy neighbour as thyself". The being in me is the being in you.

Without the egos and the labels we are all essentially the same. Realising that we are all the same allows true love to arise. No one is separate.
Anois

Postby heidi » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:16 am

And, before we are in physicality, we are purely energy - love - before the energy is manifested to "matter." And isn't it wonderful how an act of "love making" creates us? So, we are love, then love manifested, then love again when we leave the earthly realm. No-where, now-here, no-where. But the energy underlying, the beingness, just is - constant. :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby Anois » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:23 am

And in the act of "love making" the ego disappears !
Anois

Postby summer » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:03 am

Dear kiki,
thank you for sharing this with all of us. I copied it, and was just outside reading it. Very interesting. As I was feeling this sense of "knowingness" my mind asked "where do I sense this feeling?" The mind didn't know, so I asked my body where it was sensing this strong sense of 'knowingness'? My entire body could feel it. And yet it also seemed to extend outside the body. Hard to describe, since it is a no thing :)
Maybe an energy field comes the closest. One that reaches out in a globe forever.
If I had to pick one place where it originates, I would guess my heart area. I am curious where others feel this sense of knowingness?
On the one hand, there is a strong knowing that this is who I am. And yet I am wondering if everyone feels the same thing? That maybe it isn't personal at all?
summer

Postby a_friend » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:47 am

Sometimes I get a feeling in my gut (that is, near or below my navel) when I "know" something. At work, we even call it a "gut check" whenever we're asked to give a spontaneous evaluation of a design decision or a timeline estimate or anything like that. Sometimes we also call it "spidey senses" hehehe.

There is also the "knowing" that is almost more like a lack of feeling. Its like when the muscular feeling associated with anxiety has dissipated and things have kinda returned to "normal", then there's no particular region of your body that is really telling you anything special.

My friend is some kind of urban planner or something and he says the best public spaces are the ones that don't shout at you. You'll look at them and know they are beautiful without really noticing any one particular aspect that is the "cause" of the beauty. You know what I mean? Of course, this could all be complete bs :)

a friend
a_friend

Postby barbarasher » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:47 pm

"Gut check" or "initution" is something I have been going with more and more. Once I get the mind out of the way, I can listen to it.

I know it makes me happier.
barbarasher

Postby kiki » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:44 am

And in the act of "love making" the ego disappears !

The French have a word to refer to this (I don't know what it is at the moment) which translates as 'little death.'

If I had to pick one place where it originates, I would guess my heart area.

Sometimes Ramana referred to Self ( what he called the 'I-I', or knowingness) as the heart. What happened when he did this was that people thought he meant the physical heart and so they looked for it there. But, heart/Self is everywhere/nowhere - it cannot be pinned down, and so to look for it in a specific place is to miss it entirely.

That maybe it isn't personal at all?

Of course it isn't! Knowingness is not personal! Awareness/You is nonpersonal awareness. Awakening/enlightenment is not personal, it doesn't happen to the 'me entity' - it's what's always here, and when all traces of the personal have abated it becomes apparent.
kiki

Postby summer » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:17 am

'That maybe it isn't personal at all?'

Of course it isn't! Knowingness is not personal! Awareness/You is nonpersonal awareness. Awakening/enlightenment is not personal, it doesn't happen to the 'me entity' - it's what's always here, and when all traces of the personal have abated it becomes apparent.

:) That is exactly what I was aware of, while reading your post.
It is certainly not the first time that I have experienced this, and these moments are becoming more and more frequent.
It is truly awesome to realise the pure beauty of our essence, and then to know that everyone else shares this. Wow! :)
summer

Postby enlighten » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:42 pm

yes awesome :o
enlighten

Re: The Simplicity of Awareness - What You Really Are

Postby LAPIII » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:11 am

kiki wrote:The thinking about anything that arises is the moving away from this simplicity - it is the adding on of complexity in some form or another.

Can you give me an example of something that you're aware of and simple judgments, labels, and comparisions?
LAPIII

Return to Personal Experiences