I would rather mope about my life than try to change it

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

I would rather mope about my life than try to change it

Postby Clouded » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:41 pm

Most of the time, I accomplish less than what I set up to do that day. For instance, if I want to finish something that normally takes a couple of hours to do in a day (which gives me PLENTY of time), I only complete a quarter of it because I spent a large amount of time during that day thinking about my life's problems (which has nothing to do with my goal) instead of working on my goal and then I realize how quickly the time flew by and I did almost nothing. Every night, I tell myself that tomorrow I will concentrate on my goal and not my thoughts and I will be more productive and this never happens. This also used to be a big issue of mine when I was in uni (I would only give my full attention studying the day/night before the exam and this didn't give me enough time to memorize and master the subject) and certainly contributed to my failing grades and I don't want this to happen again. Why can't I fully concentrate on something when I am not completely stressed out with a lack of time? It's only then when I tell my thoughts to buzz off, I have more important things to do.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak
Clouded

Re: I would rather mope about my life than try to change it

Postby Sighclone » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:55 pm

This will not sound very nondual, but maybe you should to a deep inventory of what you are doing with your life. What are these activities that are so boring that other thoughts which arise consume so much time? My guess is that whatever you are doing now, in your career, is not the best path for you. People who are on the "right path" find the time to do their tasks without second-guessing their life. Their life flows and is supported by the universe. Eckhart tried to go back to graduate school and stumbled and fumbled around for about three years after his "shift," until he settled into his "new job" as a spiritual teacher.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby Clouded » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:20 pm

So far, I've studied economics, mathematics, history, physics, psychology, biology, chemistry, computer programming and now I'm trying out graphic design/animation. From what I've done on my own, I like it so far because I get to use my creativity but I get bored quickly because I don't like staring at one thing on my computer monitor for a long period of time. I just don't have a passion for anything, I have interests, but not a burning desire to learn more. I find most things in my life not exciting. There's always something for me to complain about, I'm never completely satisfied. :| This has also been pointed out to me by my parents. I'm so not pleased with where my life is right now that I daydream a lot and I don't get things done. I don't think I would make a very good spiritual teacher.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak
Clouded

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:14 am

I would rather mope about my life than try to change it.

Okay. :D
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby Clouded » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:42 am

But my reasoning tells me that it's a stupid decision. I don't want to be in my death bed and look back at my life and realize that I never really lived and now it's too late to change my life around. I know i'll regret wasting too much time on negative thinking (so far my early 20s have been the worst years of my life and i'm supposed to enjoy that age range, i'll never get those years back). I hope it's true what they say about brain plasticity, I read somewhere that it takes about 30 days to change a habit. I'm trying to monitor my thought processes and I keep relapsing into negative thinking, the same fears come into my mind and I keep mentally preparing for the same worst case scenarios which is a totally pointless thing to do. It's enough to think about it once and have an idea of what I shall do in case something unwanted happens to me, why do I feel the need to think about it for a hundred times when I know that I will always come to the same conclusion? I feel terrible every time. I want to live as though everyday was the last day of my life but I know that I have plenty of years to live (I hope) so I don't mind moping for a year or two.
Clouded

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:00 am

I want to live as though everyday was the last day of my life but I know that I have plenty of years to live (I hope)

So which is it - you do want, you don't want, you know or you hope?

so I don't mind moping for a year or two.

Okay
:D
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
smiileyjen101

Postby peas » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:05 am

I think it's time for you to stop asking others for advice. There is only one true way on this journey, and that's an independent journey of self-discovery. All other ways breed dependency that just keeps the cycle of suffering going.

When your questions show signs of attachment to advice, it's time to try that which is yet to be tried, self-answering.

If you are wiling to try this, here's how I would do it.

Whenever you get the urge to write on this forum, first you must handwrite the 'problem' and question on paper. Then be still and let the answer arise inside yourself.

Then write the arising answer on paper and share it by all means here as well.

But stop looking for answers from others. Break the dependency-suffering cycle.
peas

Postby Clouded » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:41 am

Fine, I'll leave the forum and deal with this on my own. Thank you all for your time and effort, it was nice chatting with you.
Clouded

Postby rachMiel » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:05 am

peas wrote:I think it's time for you to stop asking others for advice. There is only one true way on this journey, and that's an independent journey of self-discovery. All other ways breed dependency that just keeps the cycle of suffering going.

When your questions show signs of attachment to advice, it's time to try that which is yet to be tried, self-answering.

If you are wiling to try this, here's how I would do it.

Whenever you get the urge to write on this forum, first you must handwrite the 'problem' and question on paper. Then be still and let the answer arise inside yourself.

Then write the arising answer on paper and share it by all means here as well.

But stop looking for answers from others. Break the dependency-suffering cycle.

It's tricky to offer someone advice to not take anyone's advice, ja? :-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby rachMiel » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:12 am

> I would rather mope about my life than try to change it

It sounds like are deriving so much secondary benefit/pleasure from the moping that it outweighs your desire/passion to make changes in your life.

It's like you made your prison cell so cozy that it's easier to stay there than leave.
rachMiel

Postby peas » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:15 am

If we avoided the tricky where would we be?

It can be seen in the disproportionate response that there is an aspect of the pain body associated with being included in things. This is dependency. It can be broken, but not through the very thing that feeds it.
peas

Postby rachMiel » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:24 am

peas wrote:If we avoided the tricky where would we be?

In Cincinnati?
rachMiel

Postby peas » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:06 am

rachMiel wrote:
peas wrote:If we avoided the tricky where would we be?

In Cincinnati?

You really shouldn't drink and post you know ;-)
peas

Postby rachMiel » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:26 pm

;-) Just funnin' peas. Btw I thought your "I think it's time for you to stop asking others for advice ..." posting pretty much nailed it. :-)
rachMiel

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:44 am

Anthony Robbins does a brilliant response in this interaction that details the same sort of choices and arguing with oneself.

http://getrmt.com/v2.php

Hmm, that might mean 'advice' or maybe just observing :wink:
smiileyjen101

Next

Return to Personal Experiences