I would rather mope about my life than try to change it

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Re: I would rather mope about my life than try to change it

Postby xpansion » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:52 am

Clouded wrote:Most of the time, I accomplish less than what I set up to do that day. For instance, if I want to finish something that normally takes a couple of hours to do in a day (which gives me PLENTY of time), I only complete a quarter of it because I spent a large amount of time during that day thinking about my life's problems (which has nothing to do with my goal) instead of working on my goal and then I realize how quickly the time flew by and I did almost nothing. Every night, I tell myself that tomorrow I will concentrate on my goal and not my thoughts and I will be more productive and this never happens. This also used to be a big issue of mine when I was in uni (I would only give my full attention studying the day/night before the exam and this didn't give me enough time to memorize and master the subject) and certainly contributed to my failing grades and I don't want this to happen again. Why can't I fully concentrate on something when I am not completely stressed out with a lack of time? It's only then when I tell my thoughts to buzz off, I have more important things to do.

I'm like this too. It's now 12:49 pm and so far I have had breakfast, waster time online and meditated for 20 minutes. Now I have to rush with to catch up. I procrastinate my life away because I just can't be bothered with any of it. What's the point of achieving any thing such as career etc if you're going to die anyway.
xpansion

Postby Sighclone » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:36 pm

xpansion wrote:
Clouded wrote:Most of the time, I accomplish less than what I set up to do that day. For instance, if I want to finish something that normally takes a couple of hours to do in a day (which gives me PLENTY of time), I only complete a quarter of it because I spent a large amount of time during that day thinking about my life's problems (which has nothing to do with my goal) instead of working on my goal and then I realize how quickly the time flew by and I did almost nothing. Every night, I tell myself that tomorrow I will concentrate on my goal and not my thoughts and I will be more productive and this never happens. This also used to be a big issue of mine when I was in uni (I would only give my full attention studying the day/night before the exam and this didn't give me enough time to memorize and master the subject) and certainly contributed to my failing grades and I don't want this to happen again. Why can't I fully concentrate on something when I am not completely stressed out with a lack of time? It's only then when I tell my thoughts to buzz off, I have more important things to do.

I'm like this too. It's now 12:49 pm and so far I have had breakfast, waster time online and meditated for 20 minutes. Now I have to rush with to catch up. I procrastinate my life away because I just can't be bothered with any of it. What's the point of achieving any thing such as career etc if you're going to die anyway.

xpansion -

I have always found that these periods of ennui, of existential boredom are signals that I'm basically down the wrong bunny trail. I particularly recall one day when I realized that I utterly hated my job. I was kidding myself that selling insurance in my father's brokerage office was going to work for me. I was driving my car and had to pull over because all of a sudden I could see colors again. This is a slight exaggeration, but once I realized that I did not have to do this forever, suddenly the world became interesting and fun again. And colors suddenly were much brighter...very convicting experience. I immediately moved on to better things.

Do a complete life review and summary and ask the question: "If I knew it could happen, what would I do with my life?" Be sure to add the first part of that question before answering it. And remember, the answer that arises today might be different five years from now, if the future brings change...which it will.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby magicbutterfly » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:15 pm

Also, the question that worked for me was, "whose life do I most envy? The answer could provide you with a mentor. Good luck.
"As soon as you honor the present moment, all unhappiness and struggle dissolve, and life begins to flow with joy and ease." Ekhart Tolle, The Power of Now
magicbutterfly

Postby Sighclone » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:07 pm

magic -

Interesting. "Envy" is not an emotion/sensation I am proud of. It surfaced recently, and represents for me failure to achieve material things. But because it was quite strong, I let it be, let it bump around in consciousness, did not avoid or deny it, and actually ended up kind of finding it amusing...there is a pull in envy, and a feeling of inadequacy and weakness and unworthiness. It has been a good teacher. At a recent conference I sat next to John Prendergast, a clinical psychologist who has also been a leader in the transpersonal / nondual branch of psychology and therapy. I've spoken to him several times, and was move to say, "John...if I had my life to live over again, I would live your life." I actually came quite close to entering the field of psychiatry...but for various reasons, it did not happen. I also came quite close to entering a Zen monastery -- also did not happen. Now I stumble around in this forum, read my books, have my growth/progress/whatever in spirituality, go to conferences, chat with lots of folks on the web, and speak to a rare few in my community. But your question is a good one. Do I envy John Prendergast's life? All could envy is my perspective on his life, and all I know about that is his public image...I know nothing of the "rest" of his life. Much of my life is stable and clear and pleasant. So what I am envying is the image of his life. Still, that too is a useful metric. Great question...thank you.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby smiileyjen101 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:40 am

Sighclone said: Do I envy John Prendergast's life? All could envy is my perspective on his life, and all I know about that is his public image...I know nothing of the "rest" of his life. Much of my life is stable and clear and pleasant. So what I am envying is the image of his life. Still, that too is a useful metric. Great question...thank you.

Yum Andy!
Very much a case of careful what you wish for :wink:

"John...if I had my life to live over again, I would live your life."

What was his response?
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby Sighclone » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:08 am

He was touched. We are friends, and were sitting in the audience of a presenter from his group of therapists. Might have given me a hug if we weren't sitting next to each other. But the real useful way to look at those "wishful thinking" moments is to live today to the fullest. I volunteer as a "safety net" teacher in an elementary school -- we help kids who are falling below grade level. Three of them made big progress today. It was a good day. It is all good.

Andy
Sighclone

Postby magicbutterfly » Sat May 10, 2014 12:33 am

Here is another one:
What would I do if I knew for sure that I couldn't fail.
In my case right now, I would move to a place that nurtures me. Yet there is fear. Fear of failure, fear of loss, fear of being wrong. Fear of disappointing others. I will sit with the fear for awhile and observe it. What Eckhart Tolle says is not to follow the first impulse, but wait until one is sure that it is the correct action. If it is, the impulse will strengthen.
"As soon as you honor the present moment, all unhappiness and struggle dissolve, and life begins to flow with joy and ease." Ekhart Tolle, The Power of Now
magicbutterfly

Previous

Return to Personal Experiences