Watching thoughts and AnapanaSati

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Watching thoughts and AnapanaSati

Postby MasterSoul » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:22 pm

Hi guys, :)

I need a little help here, I'm practicing AnapanaSati and when a thought arises,I notice the thought(and sometimes an emotion).But when i change my focus back to the breath,i feel guilt/fear (like I'm not paying enough attention to that thought or emotion).

Example1:Focus on the breath---->I sense the thought arising----->I notice the thought----->I change my focus back to the breath---->I feel guilt/fear while focusing on the breath

Example 2:Focus on the breath---->I sense the emotion arising----->I notice the emotion----->I change my focus back to the breath---->I feel guilt/fear while focusing on the breath

My question is: That guilt and fear is a product of the ego?

Thanks
MasterSoul

Re: Watching thoughts and AnapanaSati

Postby rachMiel » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:39 pm

MasterSoul wrote:Example 2:Focus on the breath---->I sense the emotion arising----->I notice the emotion----->I change my focus back to the breath---->I feel guilt/fear while focusing on the breath

My question is: That guilt and fear is a product of the ego?

Without ego/self, guilt and fear have no soil to grow in. So, yes, ego is most likely the culprit in the situation you describe.

When the guilt/fear arise, try opening to them, inviting them in, hanging out with them (like friends) for a while, then letting them go and returning to the breath. Demonizing or trying to dispel/reject the guilt/fear just energizes it.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby peas » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:27 am

Eckhart explained in a talk once that its a gentle embrace required, which is what rachMiel calls "hanging out with them", that does not try to stop the feelings or thoughts. In this way, you don't create a new problem. Don't even label the feelings. Just gently hold on to them, like you are holding a crying baby. What you will find happens, if you truly have no agenda to the embrace, is that they will dissolve. And insight may come about the true source of the feelings. It's a very subtle experience that is like no other.
peas

Postby Sighclone » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:27 am

I agree completely with rach and peas. Anything you do not allow to be, you resist. Resistance is egoic, counterproductive and fundamentally unnecessary. False and restrictive energies like guilt and fear are protective shields of egoic conditioning. I mean, give me a break: what legitimate fear could actually be warranted in not thinking a thought or feeling an emotion for a few minutes? It is a phony fear. Typical egoic crap.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Return to Personal Experiences