Velcro thoughts

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Velcro thoughts

Postby Sighclone » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:45 pm

Adyashanti speaks about these little fixations. Velcro is a two-part adhesive, one side has micro "hooks" and the other has a soft pad with little receptor-pockets, as you probably know. The thoughts which arise that want us to latch onto them and grind away are usually of the "Self-referential internal narrative" (SRIN) variety (Gary's phrasing.) Most of them are feelings of inadequacy and worry. Now such thoughts should also not only not be engaged and fed, but also should not be repressed or they will come back stronger. Both 1) latching onto and feeding and 2) repressing and feeding ensure their return and power. The preferred alternative is simply to "Stand as Awareness" (Greg Goode) or be The Divine Witness and watch them and their energy...they almost cry out for our sympathy. But we can use "negative capability" (Keats) to simply allow them to "be." Of course, after a while they will be replaced with other thoughts. But they will come back, if they were deeply rooted. However, each time they surface they display less "traction.' Might take a couple of years for some of them to lose their capacity to engage us. A bunch still hang around for me...oh well ... "loving what is"...!!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Re: Velcro thoughts

Postby Fore » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:24 pm

Does this mean that when thoughts of a sexual nature arise, desire for form or the urge to reproduce, we should simply observe them as feelings of inadequacy and worry and not act on them. We should see them as divisive in nature and not feed them and allow them to grow and multiply in strength?

Is Adyashanti celebate?
Fore

Postby Sighclone » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:41 pm

I guess it depends on if these thoughts are stress-inducing, ie. cause anxiety. They are the thoughts of "I, me, my...yada, yada." The fundamental urge to reproduce is pretty basic...maybe doesn't even qualify as a "thought." "Wow what a sexy woman across the room, I'd like to make love right now," is a verbalization of a very primitive impulse. In the preverbal jungle, the next impulse might be to grab her. But today, following that impulse are a bunch of thoughts like: "Nah, I'm 69 years old and she is 23 and she will laugh at me," or "Sure, midbrain, she is sexy but married to that big guy standing right next to her...best to move on," or "What the hell, she is my age, appears to be single and kind of looking around...maybe I'll walk over and chat," or a jillion others. I think Adya's point was to just let the stressful ones go away without repression or engagement. I'm just repeating his stuff in this thread because I've been aware of them in myself. I used to think I had all the answers to everything. Now sometimes I forget my name.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby Fore » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:37 pm

Sighclone wrote:I guess it depends on if these thoughts are stress-inducing, ie. cause anxiety. They are the thoughts of "I, me, my...yada, yada."

This is the nature of all thoughts, thoughts are divisive by nature, and lead to stress. Even the thought may you be well comfortable peaceful and happy is divisive(subject object).

Sighclone wrote: The fundamental urge to reproduce is pretty basic...maybe doesn't even qualify as a "thought."

Don't kid yourself it may be a deep rooted thought, but it is a thought.

Sighclone wrote:"Sure, midbrain, she is sexy but married to that big guy standing right next to her...best to move on,"

Is that a left hemisphere generated midbrain thought. :wink:

Women have a tiny midbrain, its hard to find, but very powerful when engaged. :roll:

Sighclone wrote:I think Adya's point was to just let the stressful ones go away without repression or engagement.

Adya is probably looking to appeal to as many folks as possible, and does not wish to scare them away with talk of renunciation. I mean this in a good way sort of what Eckhart does by side-stepping some of the difficult aspects of the teachings. Kind of a let you in the door and see for yourself approach. Most if not all here have swallowed the pill, so I think its ok to have more in-depth discussions about this.

Sighclone wrote:I'm just repeating his stuff in this thread because I've been aware of them in myself. I used to think I had all the answers to everything. Now sometimes I forget my name.

I used be sure of who I was, now all I see are very old prisoners. :shock:
Fore

Postby Sighclone » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:18 am

Expanding our awareness means early detection of thoughts that arrice, and especially those which carry some personal freight, usually to do with "self-image," -- am I "OK" or "not OK." Those kind of thoughts have lots of Velcro "hooks." Grinding on them over and over again tends to give them authority -- ask those who have depression.

Andy
Sighclone

Postby Fore » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:30 am

Sighclone wrote:Expanding our awareness means early detection of thoughts that arrice, and especially those which carry some personal freight,

Some thoughts lead to birth in lower undesirable realms(deep depression), but all thoughts carry personal weight(freight).

All thoughts lead to division and are to come out of.

It seems true that when one begins this process the heavy baggage comes to the surface, and this can be a hurdle to overcome. When these thoughts that lead to rebirth in the undesirable realms have burned out one is ripe to "experience" their true nature(I believe you use the term Kensho).

After this "experience" the same practice of mere observation is to remain, letting go of more and more freight. These Kenshos are to occur at deeper levels of "experience" until one has let go of all the freight.

One is meant to simply start again from the beginning, although ones beginning will be lighter and lighter. As the freight falls away, awareness expands. It can be no other way, freight takes up spaciousness.
Fore

Postby Sighclone » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:38 pm

Fore wrote:
Sighclone wrote:Expanding our awareness means early detection of thoughts that arrice, and especially those which carry some personal freight,

Some thoughts lead to birth in lower undesirable realms(deep depression), but all thoughts carry personal weight(freight).

All thoughts lead to division and are to come out of.

It seems true that when one begins this process the heavy baggage comes to the surface, and this can be a hurdle to overcome. When these thoughts that lead to rebirth in the undesirable realms have burned out one is ripe to "experience" their true nature(I believe you use the term Kensho).

After this "experience" the same practice of mere observation is to remain, letting go of more and more freight. These Kenshos are to occur at deeper levels of "experience" until one has let go of all the freight.

One is meant to simply start again from the beginning, although ones beginning will be lighter and lighter. As the freight falls away, awareness expands. It can be no other way, freight takes up spaciousness.

My experience exactly!

Andy
Sighclone

Return to Personal Experiences