My subconscious mind has power over my conscious mind

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

My subconscious mind has power over my conscious mind

Postby Clouded » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:28 am

What I desire the most out of this life is stop experiencing negative emotions so easily and intensely (anger/anxiety/shame/sadness) and I think this can be done by learning how to stop taking my thoughts so seriously as if my life depended on what they concluded about myself. I really don't want to try to understand anything about the world, but an uncontrollable part of myself judges things nonetheless because these unwanted feelings still come without a warning and I am sometimes overwhelmed by them and I try to remember my teachings in hopes to return to a calmer state of being. I don't know if I can ever stop identifying with form; memorizing and accepting what others have taught me does not put an end to thinking about things in relation to myself. I notice when strong feelings that stem from fear arise in my body, I know that whatever conclusion causing this is full of crap from the past and has nothing to do with my higher self and as I am aware of this, I try to bargain with my subconscious, to convince it that it is not true and not real, that it only exists in my imagination and that IT CAN'T HURT ME and I struggle with this. As long as I experience sensations in my body, I cannot stop identifying with these sensations and the subconscious stories that I associated them with probably because I believe that I am my body. The more intense the feelings, the more meaningful they are to my subconscious, and the more I can't consciously brush them away and move on with my life.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak
Clouded

Re: My subconscious mind has power over my conscious mind

Postby dijmart » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:25 pm

I wonder if you've had any success with self inquiry? I would encourage you to try different approaches to this, if you haven't had any success.

You can distance youself from all this pain with becoming the observer, the watcher. Not to say you'll never experience another negative emotion again, because that would not be the truth, as I see it, but you can see the unreality of it all, which will shorten the gap of how long it lasts when an emotion arises.

The memories also are only impressions left in consciousness, they are no longer even relatively real, but are causing so much pain and suffering.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby Clouded » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:26 am

I guess that suffering from a mental illness only makes becoming and staying present more of a challenge, but it also makes you more prone seek enlightenment earlier than most people. At this period, I'm obsessed with my physical health (fear of a brain aneurysm) and I felt like shit last week but now it has died down because the headache is gone, you can read it all about it here: http://ehealthforum.com/health/is-it-possible-to-develop-brain-aneurysm-after-heated-arguments-t431754.html no one answered me of course and it took me a while to calm down and to prevent myself to going to hospital just to be told that there's nothing wrong with me. I hate experiencing panic attacks about my health, it's hard for me to stay present when my life may possibly be on the line. I don't think it's death that I am afraid of, it's experiencing the physical pain and the terrible fear that comes with witnessing the pain and not being able to do anything about it.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak
Clouded

Postby dijmart » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:43 pm

Clouded wrote:I guess that suffering from a mental illness only makes becoming and staying present more of a challenge.

Yes, it can and does. That's why the person usually needs treatment, in my opinion, to calm down the symptoms to be able to stay present and also to do inquiry effectively.

it also makes you more prone seek enlightenment earlier than most people.

Yep, suffering can lead one to seek a way out of it, therefore leading many eventually to a spiritual teacher, then to awakening. However, conventional treatment has it's time and place.

At this period, I'm obsessed with my physical health (fear of a brain aneurysm) and I felt like shit last week but now it has died down because the headache is gone, you can read it all about it here: http://ehealthforum.com/health/is-it-possible-to-develop-brain-aneurysm-after-heated-arguments-t431754.html no one answered me of course and it took me a while to calm down and to prevent myself to going to hospital just to be told that there's nothing wrong with me.

I read your post, sorry you experienced that, didn't sound like fun!
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby Yidaki » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:11 am

The only thing to do Clouded, is to bring awareness and knowing into your consciousness. Know that you are having negative emotions. Know that you are having negative thoughts. This knowing brings awareness into the situation and awareness brings forth the power of Now. You still desire so much and so little of something else. The only thing that matters is this moment right now. It's impossible for negative emotions and thoughts to exist in the now. The now liberates you from these such things and this includes the workings of your subconscious mind. There is nothing to fix. There are no mind patterns to figure out. The only thing to do is to operate from this moment right now and then your life path will be revealed. A subconscious mind only has power over your conscious mind when you allow it, by feeding it through constant questioning and deep analysis. Move your focus to the Now and a subconscious mind will lose its power. When you do this, all you will see is your true self, the true beauty that exists within us all.
"Wisdom comes with the ability to be still. Just look and just listen. No more is needed." ~ Eckhart Tolle
Yidaki

Postby Clouded » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:47 am

I know the source of my health-related panic attacks (that being the traumatic experience of attempting to commit suicide and ending up in the hospital). I still remember how I felt that day, scariest day of my life, believing that these were my last moments of life on earth and fighting to remain awake and deeply regretting my action. I just remember sucking everything my eyes could see as a final goodbye to what I have known and praying to not enter the next stage because I actually fear the unknown and am totally scared of being alone in the dark. I was just not ready to die that day. A total shit feeling, I never want to re-experience this feeling again, I'd rather just die when I have no idea that I am dying. Ugh, how do I dis-identify with something like this? After this incident, I became obsessed with fatal and degenerative illnesses, I'm only 22 and my blood tests say i'm healthy (but that's not enough to convince me, I need more tests) and I live as if I were in my 70s and beyond and it's no fun. It always starts with a trigger (ie: Stephen Hawking appears on the show the Big Bang Theory) and then followed by a what if (ie: poor guy....omg what if this will happen to me?) and then I start googling lou gehrig's disease, read the symptoms of the illness and then I start paying attention to my body and feel strange things and then a panic attack arises and this convinces me that something bad is going to happen related to this disease and I need to find safety (ie: go to the hospital where they can take care of me). I'm getting real tired of this shit cycle; so far all of my health fears were lies, nothing happened, it was just a panic attack, but each time I get a panic attack about my health and I tell myself that there's nothing wrong with me, my mind tells me ''what if THIS TIME it's true that you are going to have _________. You might be making a foolish mistake for choosing not to act on your compulsion; imagine if the only time when you decided not to pay attention to how you're feeling and find safety, _________ really did happen and you will suffer the effects of the illness for not doing anything about it.
Clouded

Postby tomtom1 » Fri May 09, 2014 12:19 am

Hi Clouded! Just saw your post.. thought I would reply front the point of view of someone who has struggled with anxiety & panic for some time. Although not as severe as what you have been through, I have been carted off in an ambulance thinking I was about to die and I can also resonate with wanting to be in or near a hospital. In fact I remember diverting one journey I was on one night to sit outside an emergency room as I was convinced I was about to die! of course in these situations the body happily agrees with your feelings and you start to feel very unwell indeed. Anyhow I digress...

Sometimes it is useful to put aside the spiritual side of things to talk from a relative everyday standpoint. I have found at times that the spiritual search has increased anxiety issues for me because it adds another layer of something that you want or resistance to what is right now. I have searched high and low and found that there is only one cure for anxiety of any kind, and that is SURRENDER and ACCEPTANCE.. there is nothing else I have found to work.

When you think logically (i know its hard to do sometimes) this makes complete sense. The simple truth is our nervous systems are overstimulated and overreact to everything. Over time they have been trained to react in an inappropriate way to certain situations. It is from the standpoint of fear in the body and mind which creates all your obsessive thoughts about different illnesses. As you look up symptoms your body creates more phantom symptoms which adds to the cycle of fear. We get to the point where we are afraid of the feeling of fear in the body which causes us to release more adrenaline. The cycle just continues over and over again.

Anyway I am sure you know all the above as its easy enough to look up, but I have found its all too easy to get trapped into a mode of resisting and fighting or running and avoiding. Any of these responses just creates more anxiety. So for example when you have obsessive thoughts or anxiety that you have some dreaded illness you sit and ruminate over it wishing the thoughts would go away and then you resist them and at last run away and try and distract yourself perhaps. This makes them worse and also makes the body to release my adrenaline and cortisol which stimulates the nervous system more, which makes it even hard to think clearly or see things rationally...... and so it continues.

The ONLY way out of any of this is to somehow create a relaxation response and interrupt the cycle. We know fighting doesn't work and we also know that we have no way of controlling any of this, its impossible. So the only logical step is to surrender and accept the feelings. When they crop up you can just say.. this is a symptom of my anxiety problem and for the time being my only option is to accept them until they pass. Its really very hard to do at times but it does work. Its like removing the fuel from a fire it will keep burning for a good while longer but eventually it will go out.

There is a good book called: Self Help for your Nerves by Dr Clair Weekes.
It really is worth reading I found it helped me immensely. Its quit old so some of the language may seem a bit strange to our generation but its well worth sticking with and its only short :wink:

Send me a PM if you want to talk about it more
tomtom1

Postby Clouded » Fri May 09, 2014 4:16 am

When they crop up you can just say.. this is a symptom of my anxiety problem and for the time being my only option is to accept them until they pass.

That's the thing! In the moment, how can I know for sure that I am having another panic attack and not the symptoms of a horrible disease awaiting to unfold? Maybe this time, it will be different. Should I just be ok with the idea of possibly having a brain aneurysm? Who in the world welcomes with open arms into their lives any type of illness that generates physical pain/weakness/permanent handicap? No one!! Everyone is trying to avoid being sick as much as possible. Acceptance may work for my social and performance fears, but acceptance wont prevent a brain aneurysms from happening because this will totally be out of my conscious control; no amount of thinking can ever change the structure of your body. This is what's so tricky with health related fears. I just don't want to wind up in a hospital bed feeling like crap. I want to avoid this for as long as possible.
Clouded

Postby tomtom1 » Fri May 09, 2014 12:56 pm

I wouldn't be so sure that 'no amount of thinking can ever change the structure of your body'. Look at the placebo affect, this is a classic example of how thinking affects the structure of your body. And there are numerous accounts of people recovering from cancer out the blue and other spontaneous remissions. In fact quantum physics tells us that we literally bring the world around us into being by observing it on an atomic level, so why shouldn't that also include the body? Anyway thats getting off topic...

Lets take your example of a brain aneurism as funnily enough I know someone who has had one of these recently and I can tell you, you would know it wasn't a panic attack!! But lets say for the sake of argument you are having a brain aneurism. What do you think the best response to that problem would be? Would it be to get in a blind panic which would push up your blood pressure forcing more blood into your brain and creating more brain damage? Or would it be to try and relax and accept the situation and get some help as quickly as possible? In fact can you think of any medical emergency which would benefit from you feeling anxious or panicky? Perhaps a heart attack? Would that be made better by pumping more adrenalin into your body and increasing your heart rate?

Trust me when I say I'm not trying to be harsh here. I know how you feel because I have been in similar situations. I was always paranoid about my heart and feeling like it would imminently stop. The day that eventually happens I won't have any control or say in the matter, it will just happen no matter how much I try and stop it or panic or run away... when its time to go its time to go!!

The truth is in 70 years time you will probably still be alive and hopefully not sitting there thinking. Wow I've had all these years of life and yet I never really lived because I constantly thought I was about to drop dead!!

Now this is all easier said than done because its easy to think rationally but not so easy to put into practice in the moment. BUT it is the only way..... you may not know whether your having a panic attack or a brain aneurism, however in either case is there anything you can do other than accept and surrender to it? When you do this it will slowly ease off and you will know its panic... if it doesn't then maybe you will know there is something else wrong and you can call a doctor? What other choice is there? But I think you know in your heart of hearts that its really panic and not anything else.

Take a look at this link:
http://overcomingyouranxiety.net/resour ... ur-nerves/
tomtom1

Postby Clouded » Sat May 10, 2014 12:11 pm

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough with my choice of words; I meant that positive thoughts aren't going to help me survive following the experience of a ruptured brain aneurysm, it would be a bit too late for my vessel to go back to normal. I'm going to check out that site, thanks for taking the time to help me out with my silly struggle.
Clouded

Return to Personal Experiences