working with my pain body

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Re: working with my pain body

Postby Manyana » Fri May 16, 2014 7:36 pm

Onceler wrote: Yeah, these are very powerful beings and they are literally in our backyard.....we look so eagerly for human teachers.

Yes, its like they draw you into their beingness.
Manyana

Postby jungblood » Sat May 17, 2014 4:07 am

Hi guys,

48 hours of work mayhem pulled me away from the forum, but coming back and reading the exchange on this thread really put a smile on my face... your observations about finding your teacher in nature, and the way there can be various entry points to bringing our consciouness into the present in a more sustained way, really resonate with me... I think I'm in the right place!...

The process of becoming more present on an ongoing basis is for me the real challenge... i can become 'intensely present' in meditation, or when I take a moment to practise presence at some point during the day, but the the real joy comes through the gradual process of become less ego/thought-absorbed and more present in a continuous, sustained way throughout the day - not just in the moments when I'm 'doing presence'... it's a gradual process for me, like moving bit by bit from white water rapids into a slower current, and then a slower and slower current, and eventually finding still restful water... I think it was the Zen master Dogen (though I may be mistaken) who was once asked about the challenge of fitting a strong meditation practise into a busy life, and he responded that the real challenge is to fit your busy life into your zazen, so all your waking hours are your meditation..

And nature is such a wonderful teacher... i spent some of this evening with an adorable five-month old pit-bull, who successfully dispelled all the old prejudices knocking around my head about that particular breed... when I was a child I was deeply in love with nature, and by the age of about 10 I had an encyclopedic knowledge of animal life and history... but then adolesence hit, along with hormones and the need to be cool and attractive, and I fearfully pushed all that aside... now I'm 39, and rediscovering that romance with nature... my first love!

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend,
Lucas
jungblood

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Sat May 17, 2014 3:08 pm

I agree that fully integrating this as your life rather than a piece of your life is the way forward. Not much good if you can be still alone but not when interacting with others.
EnterZenFromThere

Postby viking55803 » Thu May 22, 2014 3:20 pm

Just a quick note before I head off into the woods for a walking meditation with my 3 dogs. They are spending tonight in a boarding kennel; they don't know it yet, so they have no worries. They are entirely present now, but as soon as they see me reach for my hiking boots they will enter a highly excited state in anticipation of "you-know-what." (My spouse and I need to speak coded language like "you-know-what" to avoid words like "walk," "out," "go" or "treat" or we have instant chaos!)

Yesterday I was deeply engaged in budget issues at work. My Chief Financial Officer is very capable, but not very conscious. When I have to engage a world that is largely unconscious, it can be harder to practice conscious presence myself. But conscious awareness is not reactive - it's like helium and the inert gases. Even a few moments of presence creates a spacious awareness where everything, even difficult budget issues (which means talking about difficult things like reducing employee benefits or laying people off) become simply what they are: important decisions that can affect the lives of other people. When it is possible to be in presence, creative solutions seem to emerge that the reactive mind cannot produce.

In any case, it is a beautiful Spring morning. The leaves are finally beginning to show on the trees - two weeks late by the calendar, but just in time for the tree!

Gary
viking55803

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Thu May 22, 2014 3:36 pm

viking55803 wrote:But conscious awareness is not reactive - it's like helium and the inert gases.

I like your style Viking! The stillness is always there holding it's hands out to us with gifts beyond our imagining. If we have insight, courage and faith we can hold out our hands and accept what is offered - the wisdom and love to make life an effortless joy!
EnterZenFromThere

Postby jungblood » Wed May 28, 2014 3:38 am

Howdy folks,

I've really enjoyed reading your posts about your experiences with nature, and how the manifestations of nature - whether they be a tree or a cuddly pooch - can sort of draw you into oneness with them... I find this to be so true, and it's a little ironic for me, having always been a sworn 'city boy', that I now find myself drawn to nature.... I always particularly like the story of Buddha's temptation by Mara, just before his enlightenment, which tells of the animals from the surrounding countryside coming to Buddha's side to bear witness to his enlightenment after Mara, the god of temptation, demanded 'how dare you deny me'... it's as if the animals appeared to testify that 'the enlightened one' is one with all life, and so cannot be swayed... on the other hand, I think dogs, with their simple excitement over simple day-to-day activities, also have a lot to teach us... how much happier would i be if going out for a walk was as thrilling as it is for your average pooch? :D .... Our lives are a little more complex, but dogs don't make themselves suffer by grasping at transient things like possessions... I wonder, when they desperately pursue some opportunity for sense gratification, like a piece of steak from the dinner table, do they feel the same disappointment at not getting what they want... I suspect they avoid the self-inflicted suffering we humans cause by simply experiencing the desire, and maybe some disappointment, fully, and then letting it pass away...

My friends say that if I was a dog I would be a beagle... hmmmm.... I'm not sure what to think about that... :?

Hugs,
Lucas
jungblood

Postby viking55803 » Wed May 28, 2014 4:06 am

jungblood wrote:My friends say that if I was a dog I would be a beagle... hmmmm.... I'm not sure what to think about that... :?

Lucas: I live with a 14 y/o beagle. Her eyesight is failing and her hearing is completely gone, but I often tell people that hearing is an optional sense for a beagle; they never listen anyway! It's all about the nose. I'm down to 3 dogs from a pack of 6, and always watched the beagle perform feats of detection with her incredible nose that were so "out there" that the other dogs were simply left puzzled. For example, I snowshoe all winter and when walking on nearly 3 feet of snow the beagle started digging about 10 feet from the trail. She dug and dug until under that 3 feet of snow she found about a square inch of rabbit fur. The other dogs learned to pay attention to her baying, since she always knew there was something worth their interest even if they were unconscious.

Recently, she suffered a minor stroke that temporarily caused weakness on one side of her body. However, after a week of aspirin she was back in the woods running, wagging her tail and finding little "treasures" in the dwindling snow pack. She absolutely RULES the other two dogs: a 120 pound yellow lab and a 100 pound Rhodesian ridgeback/pitbull mix.

So I'm not sure what your friends were telling you. You don't listen? You follow your nose? Maybe pointing to something worthwhile that others overlook? In any case, I'd rather be compared to a beagle than a pug! :D
viking55803

Postby Sighclone » Wed May 28, 2014 8:16 pm

jung -

You might enjoy Scott Kiloby, lawyer, recovering addict, teacher, nondual healer, friend : http://kiloby.com/

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Previous

Return to Personal Experiences