Sensory Separation and Unity as Stillness

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Sensory Separation and Unity as Stillness

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:52 pm

Hey all,

My current 'practice' has evolved into observing all sensations (bodily sensations, thoughts and feelings) and opening to them in such a way that I 'follow' them back together into a unification with (or perhaps better put, 'as') a deep Primordial Stillness which is Energetically Alive. Relaxed in this Space and in the absence of what I perceive as 'I' thoughts (or indeed any thoughts) 'I' experiment with experiencing and manipulating my energetic frequencies e.g. 'move' into and maintain subtle vibrations associated with the conceptualisation of 'Love'. This has led to some interesting changes, one of which I see now while watching TV. Normally we experience what psychologists call the 'Ventriloquism Effect', a term used to describe how the brain links sound sources with visual sources so that we perceive the voice of an individual speaking on TV as coming from the mouth of the individual, rather than the speakers on the TV/wherever your sound output is. I'm no longer experiencing the 'Ventriloquism Effect', instead I hear the sound as coming clearly from the TV speakers. I also seem to see people speak before I hear them. There is a slight delay where I see their mouth move just before I hear the words they speak. This was a little strange at first - it felt like I'd been drugged! It seems to be stabilising as I settle into it.

I was just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences or had anything to add about this in general.

Love & Stillness,

Jack
EnterZenFromThere

Re: Sensory Separation and Unity as Stillness

Postby Phil2 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:35 pm

EnterZenFromThere wrote: I also seem to see people speak before I hear them. There is a slight delay where I see their mouth move just before I hear the words they speak.

Well I didn't experience this yet, but there could well be a physical explanation to this ... light travels much faster than sound, so there is indeed a very slight time delay between the seeing of the mouth movement (which is nearly instantaneous at light speed) and the hearing of a sound which travels at 340 m/sec, so if you are at 10 meters from a person, there is more or less 30 millisec delay before you hear the voice ... If you have developped a very acute sensitivity, you might well perceive this tiny delay ...

this is exactly the same principle with lightnings, you see them then you must wait several seconds sometimes to hear the thunder ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:47 pm

Thanks Phil. I was aware of the principle but not the approximate delay. 340 millisecond sounds about right. It's ironic that a greater discernment of sensations as separate allows for more easily tracing them back to their blending as Source.
EnterZenFromThere

Postby rachMiel » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:10 pm

Interesting.

As a musician I've been conditioned to listen to a stream of music in a temporally global way, in which current sonic events (single notes, phrases, etc.) are linked to past events and point to future events. So I'm using memory/thought to recall and anticipate. But after years of unravelling the world, I sometimes fall into listening to the current slice of sound without creating bridges to past/future. Though this feels quite natural when it happens, it flies in the face of my training as a composer and thwarts my "critical assessment" process. If you look at a piece of music as a discrete sonic object, you need to be able to connect events at different times throughout the piece.

This is a good example for me of how different situations call for different types of consciousness. There's no "one size fits all" approach to consciousness, pure awareness isn't useful in all situations.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby Onceler » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:19 pm

Really fascinating thread. The only sensory changes I have noticed, and it may not be sensory, is the perception of time. It's 'looser' and flexible. Sometimes time is stretched and elongated, as if under the effects of cannabis, and other times the now just seems very meaningful and rich. I don't mark time in the same way, as in how long will this activity/meeting/period take to be over....? I just am in it and rarely bored or wishing I were somewhere else, or that time would speed up.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:46 am

:D

Rachmiel said: ... I sometimes fall into listening to the current slice of sound without creating bridges to past/future.

Onceler said: I don't mark time in the same way, as in how long will this activity/meeting/period take to be over....? I just am in it and rarely bored or wishing I were somewhere else, or that time would speed up.

Both of these reminded me of a 'thing' in the Being Human thread
Being, not as a means to an end, not with our attention on some past or future moment but ‘relaxing into and embracing’ now as an amazing thing in and of itself, in every single precious and never to be exactly the same again moment.

When we do this we tune into our full capacity as humans, no wonder it’s intoxicating.

Jack there was a thread here before you joined that you may find interesting. viewtopic.php?f=38&t=10594
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby rachMiel » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:19 pm

smiileyjen101 wrote:Being, not as a means to an end, not with our attention on some past or future moment but ‘relaxing into and embracing’ now as an amazing thing in and of itself, in every single precious and never to be exactly the same again moment.

Yes. :-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Return to Personal Experiences