Personal experiences of a 24 year old and Question

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Personal experiences of a 24 year old and Question

Postby AMP » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:37 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm an acting student.
I'm rather young (just got 24) and I got in contact with the books of Eckhardt Tolle around half a year ago.

I remember around that time, when I read the book for the first time, it all made so much sense to me. The reason there is anxiety, fear and this constant thinking (soon...in the future....I will be happy, have my life all figured out, how I want it to be) was all laid out for me in this book. There was a certain part in The power of now, which told me, I should watch and be conscious of the attachement I have to my pain body, because my identity is so immersed into it. Reading this sentence made everything come up what was building up in me since the first page.
I had a sudden feel as if a lightning hit me and suddenly my head was clear, i started smiling. Then i looked around, everything had this radiating energy around it, the Books lying on my bed, my camera. I had a tea cup in my hand and started to look at it all fascinated. I also had a clear, CRYSTAL CLEAR understanding of the following. There is a PAST, a NOW and a FUTURE i can choose to be in with my head. The Now is where I'm at, the past and future are not real, but I can choose recall things from my brain for practical matters. It was amazing.

When i woke up the next day, It was gone... I had occasional moments, like on vacation in Greece, where I tried to focus my attention on my gut feeling instead of my head, where i felt connected again to the world, the ocean and the mountains far away. But these where only for seconds and my brain started interfering again.

These times, I try to read the power of now every day for 30 minutes and then meditate after it for 30 minutes as well. But I never got to the degree of utter freedom from Ego I had back then. I often realize on day to day situations that I'm in my head, identfied with my Ego and pain body. I had talks with people who read the book as well and some told me I shouldn't be after "being in the moment" my whole life. But that's exactly what I want to be, free from all the pain i unnecessarily inflict on myself, living and being like I was supposed to from the beginning (like every human being).

Can someone who was at my phase and has made it to full consciousness give me a hint of what i could do?

Love

Erik
AMP

Re: Personal experiences of a 24 year old and Question

Postby Webwanderer » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:28 pm

Welcome to the forum Erik.
AMP wrote:Can someone who was at my phase and has made it to full consciousness give me a hint of what i could do?

Full consciousness is a tall order. My sense is that most anyone still living through physical form is not living in 'full' consciousness. I suggest you look at understanding in terms of clarity. Any insight or added understanding is a step up in clarity. There are always more steps. Some have spent considerable time in their lives focused on understanding the nature of life and have grown consciously in accordance with their openness and integrity of interest. Willingness to explore personal beliefs is key.

Occasionally one may have an explosive breakthrough, but even these tend to recede somewhat in a short period of time. For me, that seems to be the way of it - ebbs and flows - greater clarity and relative confusion - as a period of integration seems necessary before a more permanent change in perspective is gained. This usually sets the table for the next insight and step forward. That seems to be the nature of our exploration of consciousness and being in the human experience.

There is more however than just curiosity and exploration. There is also appreciation for the adventure and an enjoyment of life. The greater one's clarity of being, the more this is born out. There are endless details to fill in, but without a heartfelt appreciation for the journey and all its challenges, it can seem more of a chore of choosing between 'shoulds and shouldn'ts.

Emotions are our friends and guides - even the painful ones. They reflect the nature and quality of our alignment in any given moment. Trust the messages they send and act on them as best you can when they speak to you - and they will speak... often.

The journey and its opportunities for expansion of consciousness are lifelong. There is always more to grok. So, always give yourself room to change your mind about what is most likely true. Beliefs always seem true after all - or they wouldn't be beliefs.

Enjoy the forum. It's a good place to explore possibilities.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:16 pm

Wonderful words there's WW. Thank you for them.

Recently I've started seeing a radiating energy around everything. Light a haze of subtle light. Around people, animals, plants, rocks...everything. I think it's always been there I just assumed it was something wrong with my vision. You may like a book I've been reading which led to this radiation being more obvious for me. It's called "I am the Word" by Paul Selig. It is about finding the Light that you are and in accessing the skills that every human has access to if only they wish to have it. Seeing auras, feelings auras and similar things that are considered paranormal by conventional societal standards are a part of this according to the books authors (and I can attest to from personal experience in their development in me).

If I could give you any advice I'd say persist gently. Desire this as much as you possibly can, more than the most intense feelings you ever had, but do it in a way that respects and loves you. Try not to pile pressure on yourself that you must reach a certain point now. Desire it with your heart and mind but be gentle with yourself at the same time. The way I see it this is your birthright all you need to do is will it. But to will and to force are slightly different.

I hope this helps in some way. I'd love to hear more about your journey. It's a very exciting time! Enjoy it! :)

Much love,

Jack
EnterZenFromThere

Postby viking55803 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:43 pm

I might suggest that, as an acting student, you may already experience presence, spacious awareness or whatever you want to call it when you are acting. In fact, I believe most of us experience moments where there is no thought: playing music once an instrument is mastered can be that way, certain physical activities and sports are done with little or no thought, making art - really any creative expression, arises from that place.

So start from where you are at and simply notice - oh! I was doing without thinking or being without thinking, and see if you can notice this in other moments. This is called a "practice" for good reason!
viking55803

Postby bluecover » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:12 pm

Ohh how I understad you :/

When you first make *click*, everything makes sense, everything is so clear, suddenly, you're completely conscious...temporarily.

Eckhart says in some of his books (Practicing the Power of Now and New Earth, If I'm not mistaken) that after understanding this whole consciousness thing, one must practice to turn glimpses into more more lasting present moments full of consciousness and awareness. Gradually you "upgrade" the duration of these glimpses until it's very easy for you to maintain presence.

Like viking says, it's called practice for some reason! It's not something that you just realize and then you're "changed" forever (at least for most of us anyways...).

I usually pretend I'm invisible and that all sound goes through me, there is nothing to receive the mechanical waves of sound. I'm just a living awareness seeing everything around me, observing the whole screen I got in front of my eyes.

Eckhart says in one of his books that practicing paying attention to the breath during a year can be very effective as spiritual practice. The German word for breathing derived from the ancient Indian (Sanskrit) word Atman meaning the indwelling divine spirit or God within (Check out New Earth if you didn't read it yet! He talks about this there in more detail).

Don't look for any other state than the one you at right now.

Also, trying to feel everything you do helps a lot. When you wake up feel everything, when you walk down the stairs, feel each step, each muscle you move, pay attention to every detail, feel you inner body, keep some attention in your breathing - don't force it, just watch it -, when eating, feel the flavors, feel the sensations inside your mouth, feel them, experience everything fully, and it will for sure help you in this spiritual practice!

Good Luck on your journey!

Andrew.
bluecover

Postby SJD » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:27 pm

bluecover wrote:Don't look for any other state than the one you at right now.

This is the key. You are remembering the past feeling of presence and then you interpret the present moment through this past emotional memory. Just allow the present moment to be, don't chase the feeling of presence because presence has no feeling. It just is. Usually it is a more calm, peaceful, colorful state
SJD

Postby Olga » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:11 pm

Hi! I am also 24 years old, and listened Power of Now 6 months ago, and now listening audiobook The New Earth.
My way to get into NOW:
1) Pay attention to my breathing
2) Feel the life/energy inside my body, stay there regardless of activity
3) Pay attention to what I am doing (or stop doing what I am doing, like sometimes I feel music can take me away from present moment, so I turn it off, to feel the silence). Look around, accept situation/people surrounding me.
I am Christian, and sometimes prayer helps, made up (personal) or existing like psalm 90, or 145 (new testament) help me a lot.
Think without loosing presence (watch the video on youtube, where Eckhart explains how to do it)

Maybe your "ego" or "pain body" doesn't want to "loose" you, and you have fears of becoming "present", loosing pleasures of egoic world...
Let go of that past experience.
Look inside and ask yourself what is the reason your thinking mind took over you. Be honest with yourself.

Good luck!
Olga

Return to Personal Experiences