The power of the 'suicide' idea ...

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

The power of the 'suicide' idea ...

Postby Phil2 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:54 pm

I would like to introduce here a topic which can be of practical help for some desperate persons who would consider 'suicide' as a way out of their suffering.

When you consider suicide as a solution to your problems, then you might consider this: physical suicide requires some physical means, which are not so easy to put in practice and moreover which are very dirty ... so you might come to this idea: instead of suiciding physically you could as well decide to suicide psychologically, which means that you consider yourself as dead, but you are still physically alive ... then whatever happens to you, you don't mind as you are dead ...

It is an instantaneous collapse of ego (probably what happened to Eckhart Tolle).

This is why people who consider the idea of suicide are in fact nearer to truth than anyone ... they just have to transform the death of the body into the death of ego ... what has to die is the psychological identity.
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Re: The power of the 'suicide' idea ...

Postby viking55803 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:04 pm

A truly near-death experience can lead to a similar awakening, a total surrender to what is and a realization of the complete powerlessness of the ego (self.) I don't recommend it as a path to awakening, but the experience of peace and bliss at that moment can be life altering. For one thing, any fear of death seems to vanish (permanently) even as the will to live remains - sounds paradoxical, but that could be because the word "will" implies ego rather than the natural survival instinct of all living things.
viking55803

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:26 pm

Phil the tricky thing is if someone is so desperate and unable to cope with their thoughts about their life that they would / are considering suicide, it's that they cannot imagine coming out the other end of their suffering in this moment.

So the suggestion is likely beyond their awareness, capacity ...let alone willingness when one is emotionally and psychologically and physically exhausted (having learned from a few who have chosen this path to end their suffering).

The notion that it always is/seems darkest just before the dawn is absolutely true, hang on just a little longer and the dawn will come. How we feel and think now is not how we have always felt and thought, therefore it is not blind optimism, but probability that we will not always think/feel the way we do now.

If we can wait until the dawn we will always see things differently. The dawn comes not through violence, although it does create cracks, and then shatter the darkness.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby rachMiel » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:11 am

There was a nice discussion around this recently:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12408&hilit=egocide
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby Phil2 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:39 am

smiileyjen101 wrote:
So the suggestion is likely beyond their awareness, capacity ...let alone willingness when one is emotionally and psychologically and physically exhausted (having learned from a few who have chosen this path to end their suffering).

Precisely because they are exhausted, they will consider the idea of 'psychological suicide' as a relief, because they have nothing to 'do' at all (just let go of all things), while physical suicide requires some kind of practical actions, and not the easy ones ...
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby Mariposa » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:02 am

My husband has thought about suicide so so so many times, it's really his go to place when he can't cope anymore. I truly wish this whole painful mindset would break to allow the light of consciousness to shine through, but I believe this has become his identity, and that's why he has been holding onto it for so long, years really. This is who he is (ego) and it must be too scary to let go of the victim role, the deeply held negative thoughts about life and about himself.

His depression seems to be rock solid, and inside he is the most vulnerable baby in extreme need of love.

¿¿¿???
Mariposa

Postby Phil2 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:31 am

Mariposa wrote:My husband has thought about suicide so so so many times, it's really his go to place when he can't cope anymore. I truly wish this whole painful mindset would break to allow the light of consciousness to shine through, but I believe this has become his identity, and that's why he has been holding onto it for so long, years really. This is who he is (ego) and it must be too scary to let go of the victim role, the deeply held negative thoughts about life and about himself.

His depression seems to be rock solid, and inside he is the most vulnerable baby in extreme need of love.

¿¿¿???

Yes the victim identity can be a very sticky one ... it is also fundamentally an escape from one's responsibility saying "others are responsible for what I am, for my unhappiness and suffering" ... and it is also a resistance to 'what is' because a victim always complains : things should not be as they are ...

And the very idea of suicide is the supreme escape ... what has to be seen is that when you are ready to let go everything including your life, you can easily shift to another idea which is "I let go of everything, except my life" ... then this letting go, this surrendering to 'what is', can save you ... as it has saved me years ago ...
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Return to Personal Experiences