Another kind of presence

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Another kind of presence

Postby runstrails » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:36 pm

I did one of the hardest mountain races yesterday. For a long time, I was completely depleted of all energy and electrolytes and there were no thoughts. I was in complete presence, even though I was hurting and miserable. It's so clear that we don't really need thoughts or ego. The body has an intelligence that allows it to function naturally. It was a different kind of presence since I'm so used to the feeling of bliss when present. The feeling here was one of total misery---but the presence of one's true nature was crystal clear! As ET says, in the extremes of conditions you function just fine without self-referential thoughts (ego). Such a relief from 'me', 'me', 'me'. I think I know now why people do ultra races or extreme sports :D.
runstrails

Re: Another kind of presence

Postby kiki » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:09 pm

I can definitely relate to presence while in the midst of pain and discomfort.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby randomguy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:56 pm

Thanks, rt. I enjoyed this illustration of presence. Now get some more electrolytes!

in the extremes of conditions you function just fine without self-referential thoughts (ego)

What about non-extreme conditions?
Is it a different kind of presence or is it the same presence experienced a different way?
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Postby rachMiel » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:41 am

runstrails wrote:It's so clear that we don't really need thoughts or ego.

We don't need ice cream. But man does it taste good!
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby smiileyjen101 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:10 am

randomguy said: What about non-extreme conditions?
Is it a different kind of presence or is it the same presence experienced a different way?

Great questions!!

I'd say same presence - different 'not layering' over it.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby runstrails » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:39 am

rM wrote: We don't need ice cream. But man does it taste good!

Until you eat a gallon and then you feel ill :wink:.

random guy wrote: What about non-extreme conditions?

You ask a good question. Presence is always the same--just feels different.
In extreme conditions, the ego is kinda pointless and so it's more easily dispensed with. Presence is the natural state there.
But in non-extreme conditions, the ego seems to creep back in, doesn't it? In these conditions, ego becomes the natural state by default and presence needs to be cultivated.
runstrails

Postby rachMiel » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:21 am

runstrails wrote:
rM wrote: We don't need ice cream. But man does it taste good!

Until you eat a gallon and then you feel ill :wink:.

Moderation. :-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:52 pm

I can't quote on my ipad so bare with me,

"Until you eat a gallon and feel ill"

Haha! I loved that. Very sharp witted.

What does ego mean for you RT? It seems we all have a slightly different take on it. For me, it's my sense of individual self. Which is the scuba gear I use to explore the darker depths of the oceans of me. I know I am more than my scuba gear, but I still need it to exist in this hostile environment.

Do you feel a goal of your journey is to remove your scuba gear to become closer to the ocean? I feel like my goal at the moment is to add more to my scuba gear so I can explore more of the ocean. Add all sorts of flashy lights and extra oxygen tanks and underwater jet packs so I can see all the amazing fish and geology.

Do our goals contradict each other from your perspective? Is one goal more preferable in a more objective sense?

Love,

Jack
EnterZenFromThere

Postby viking55803 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:07 am

One does not enter races without an ego agenda (all goals are egoic), but from my own experience in ultra-distance events I know that, at some point, the ego agenda fails miserably. You can't even remember why you thought it was a good idea in the first place! From then on the only thing you can do is surrender to the present and keep moving. Fortunately, the body supplies bucket loads of endorphins to ease the pain. There is more than one way to get high!
viking55803

Return to Personal Experiences