This morning

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

This morning

Postby lmp » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:24 pm

Early this morning I was out driving the country roads just following the light of the sunrise, stopping every now and then to take some pictures. It certainly was very beautiful as in winter mornings here the sun is in no hurry rising. At a certain point I became aware of two different movements. One movement consisted of a desire to share this sunrise with others and to preserve this beauty of the land somehow and of some superficial criticism of people in general for not caring more about it, also wishes to tell a friend and my children about it, there were some irritating thoughts about having to go to work tomorrow and in general irritation about having to work rather than exploring the wonders of the world. The second movement was the changing sky, the colors of the fields, the birds, the high air, the unending beauty of the landscape, the horses in the pastures along the dirt roads. There were migratory birds in the sky and the fields, geese most likely, even swans were out in the fields finding something to eat, a few hawks too. As I stopped the car and watched these two movements I understood that the first movement of thought was not really related to the second movement of nature, rather it was just part of an ongoing description of memories, I looked at these two movements for a minute or two. Without effort I fell wholly into the second movement and the world became a symphony of beauty without end. Everywhere I looked was more magic, a shrub glowing in the morning light, frost on a fence, a cat watching it all, a world colored by bliss. I drove around like this for a couple of hours, making turns at a whim, having no idea of where I was.

Well, that was all I wanted to say really.
lmp

Re: This morning

Postby Onceler » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:19 am

Nice.....thanks for sharing.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby CaiHong » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:41 am

Hi imp,
Just wanted to say I enjoyed your description of your morning but more importantly what was going on in your mind, the duality. You mentioned the irritation thinking about work which struck a chord with me. When I am working it's fine and better when I am present in my work but at times there is a build up on an unconscious level that manifests in a feeling of tension that usually dispels once I start work.

My question is, would it be reasonable to not continue with work you don't enjoy if that luxury is open to you or use it as portal into presence.
it's sort of like if you won the lottery would you go to work? If you became enlightened would you go to work?

CaiHong
CaiHong

Postby lmp » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:14 pm

CaiHong wrote:Hi imp,
Just wanted to say I enjoyed your description of your morning but more importantly what was going on in your mind, the duality.

Yes the duality is interesting. In the thought stream there are many ideas of what we should or could do about, or with, many things.

CaiHong wrote: You mentioned the irritation thinking about work which struck a chord with me. When I am working it's fine and better when I am present in my work but at times there is a build up on an unconscious level that manifests in a feeling of tension that usually dispels once I start work.

So you can have tensions about work, but usually not while your working and especially not when you are present while working.

CaiHong wrote:My question is, would it be reasonable to not continue with work you don't enjoy if that luxury is open to you or use it as portal into presence.

I'm doing a serious attempt at changing my type of work into something I believe I will enjoy. I don't know that I will succeed, I have a couple of people who encourage me about it and that's nice of them to be interested.

Using it as a portal into presence was what I felt could be an interesting thing tho discuss at this point, with you. I have experimented with it quite a bit. I work at an insurance company and if I had the fortune to naturally enjoy such a thing I would actually have a fairly easy day. But it's too repetitious, boring, pointless and too many hours to spend at one place, those are my main objections.

I don't know your line of work, perhaps being very present there is ok and suitable and fits well into the daily operations. I think that for me, being present can be rather intense and not necessarily something that is suited for quietly putting stamps on letters for a couple of hours. Is not your experience that some energy builds up that doesn't necessarily want to do the task at hand? While I have certainly at the office enjoyed listening, watching, talking to collegues, caring about what I do, it does not in the end solve the issues I have with being there.

I hope you find something to say about it too.

CaiHong wrote:it's sort of like if you won the lottery would you go to work? If you became enlightened would you go to work?

CaiHong

winning the lottery or becoming enlightened, I'm sure I would not go there. I go to work though for a good reason as I see it, I'm a single father with two kids, well they are 19 & 21 now so not exactly kids anymore.

Leif
lmp

Postby CaiHong » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:07 am

Thanks Leif for your thoughtful post,

I tutor English from my home, I am very grateful to have this job as it gives me a lot of autonomy. At one time I was unhappy in my job, unhappy with myself really when it came down to it, I was screaming out for change. I went on holidays in Vietnam and ended up buying a restaurant while I was there, this was the furtherest thing from my mind but the beauty of the location and the building also it was cheap by western standards, all the money I had and then some which I borrowed. I had fun playing restaurants but after a short while I found that I didn't really want to work in a restaurant even if I did own it. I left the restaurant in the hands of the manager. I was still looking outside myself for peace and happiness. I eventually returned to China to work after 3 months in my own country.

This time around I thought OK I will take long holidays to interesting locations during the generous holiday breaks this should make my life more interesting, me more interesting. ET says something in one of his books about how travel can quiet the mind for a short while and it is a distraction. I rode a motorbike around Mongolia for a few days by myself and thought, this is really living the life but I felt like a charlatan. A real change, a real holiday is to get out of my head and just be where I am, my inability to sit quietly and happily in a room ..........

this is long winded and perhaps off topic but I have really enjoyed getting out my real thoughts about things, there is only one other person I share some of my true thoughts and feelings with, a sailor in the merchant navy whom I have never met, we have been e pals for more than 6 years and the most unlikely of friends.

All the best with your new venture if you do decide to go ahead, I have never regretted the restaurant.

CaiHong
CaiHong

Return to Personal Experiences