Criterion for effective practice

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Criterion for effective practice

Postby davidm » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:11 am

according to Eckhart Tolle it is "the degree of peace you feel within".

There are lots of traps as with any spiritual teaching. People bring fear, anger, and agenda to what they read. When I was 17 and I found Eckhart Tolle, I was filled with those three things.

That led to thought suppression and a serious psychotic episode.

Just a warning to others, take Tolle's advice and judge your practice by whether you truly feel at peace or not.

I think regular socialization and constructive action is pretty crucial to living a happy life along with living in the present. I was very prone to "floating in the air" when I first found Tolle, because I wasn't doing those two things. And when people told me (they were right, I see now) that I need to go out and live / talk/ listen / play basketball again, I just quoted Tolle but it was all escapism.
davidm

Re: Criterion for effective practice

Postby Onceler » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:12 am

Nice post, Davidm.....made my day.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby GermanEnlightenment » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:58 pm

There are definitely many traps one could fall into on this journey. The way the ego can sneak in through the back door could really fill a whole book in of itself.

My criterion for judging if what I´m doing is working out for me is to look at my external reality. Because we create from the inside to the outside, our external reality will always show us whether we are improving our state/vibration or not. Because most of us come to spirituality by experiencing a lot of pain and suffering in our lives - lacking relationships, unfulfilling jobs, personal trauma, lack of money etc. - we can see if our spiritual practice is working out for us by looking out our external reality and if it is shaping up to become a reality that we want and enjoy. So this could mean f.e. that we quit a job that we hate by being more self-loving to us and figuring out what we really want to do with our lives. And then we find another job, one that we actually enjoy doing.
And by becoming more and more present every area of our life will be put under scrutiny and we have to decide if things are currently working out for us or if we comprise our happiness in certain areas. It´s really a magical thing because if you start f.e. taking care of your intimate relationships by not being a doormat anymore you will not only attract a partner into your life that likes the "new" confident you, but you will also look at other areas of your life where you might be acting powerless and like a sacrficial lamb for other people and you will change your behaviour there as well. It really is a snowball-effect. Because if you f.e. treat yourself lovingly when it comes to your job, why wouldn´t you do that too when it f.e. comes to your food-choices (eating food that fills you up with a lot of energy and is healthy.)

The reason why I think this external reality-check works is because you have to believe on a certain level that you deserve good things and people coming into your life and that can only happen if you become aware of the limiting beliefs in your mind and the repressed "negative" emotions in your body that are denying you and working against- resisting - the very things that you actually desire.
"Happiness / Something in my own place / I'm standing naked / Smiling, I feel no disgrace / With who I am/ I´m a lucky man...with fire in my hands"
(The Verve - Lucky Man)
GermanEnlightenment

Postby Admiral Akmir » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:29 am

I kind of feel like this happens to everyone. The teachings warn about it, but it happens anyways. A lot of us come to the teachings from a bad place, and we want a solution, it's almost inevitable to wander astray and try to control every aspect of your life, which is completely exhausting and insane!

Some of the people here have spoken of the "coming and going", and how the awakening comes in waves, and this is exactly what has happened to me. I read tPoN, tried to change my life, it didn't work, I eventually forgot about it. Came back, listened to a lot of Adyashanti talks, tried to apply his teachings and just wound up with even more questions. "It's not something you can HAVE or OBTAIN, you already have it." :shock:

Honestly, The Four Agreements has had a much larger impact on my life than some of the more abstract teachings. It's principles that I can study and practice, without feeling overwhelmed. Some of them are harder than others, but overall it's a very good foundation. Never make assumptions, don't take things personally, be impeccable with your word and always try your best.
Admiral Akmir

Return to Personal Experiences