The beauty and horror of nature

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

The beauty and horror of nature

Postby epiphany55 » Mon May 09, 2016 3:01 am

Today I went for a walk in the country. In England we have many public footpaths that, when roamed away from slightly, can take us to some very special and undisturbed places. You feel as if it would take many years for another human being to cross your path. In such a densely populated country, this is something you can't help but treasure.

It was in one of these places that I settled and observed just how beautiful and harmonious nature was in its undisturbed form. Even the small insects that landed on and explored my arm were seen as welcome companions and part of the interconnected fabric of existence. But many of us have learned "too much" about nature - that not more than a mere scratch beneath the beauty is strife and suffering. It was not long ago in the evolutionary timeline that our ancestors were experiencing the most horrific suffering imaginable in their quest for survival. Many still experience it today, in an apparent world of plenty. Animals, sentient beings, are ripped apart for their meat, their ultimate expense being a transfer of energy to another being. On my way back, I saw carefully farmed lambs and cows unwittingly awaiting their inevitable slaughter.

I felt my mind fighting this undeniable truth. I wanted to experience the yin without the yang. But this romanticisation of nature is the blind spot of our conscience, the rose tinted spectacles through which we morally justify the perpetuation of our existence. We cannot have beauty without sacrifice. And we are trapped as biological beings, never able to consent to our emergence into this world, yet faced with its brute reality and the urges that make us the arbiters of righteous sacrifice.

If we are to perpetuate our existence, we must accept that we are a part of this cycle of suffering. By having children - one of our most natural biological urges - we impose and perpetuate suffering. The question is, is all the cascading beauty we see in nature worth the suffering that so relentlessly drives its mechanism?
Thought is the object, not the essence, of consciousness.
epiphany55

Re: The beauty and horror of nature

Postby randomguy » Mon May 09, 2016 6:00 pm

I love thinking about this. There is a great BBC series about Africa on Netflix (also YouTube I just saw). It shows how incredibly rough nature is. In the second episode it shows the shoe billed stork favoring one chick over the other. The smaller chick gets beaten by the other and eventually goes unfed and dies. (My older brother tried this neat trick on me bless his heart). Humans are remarkable in their imagination. The sun is burning itself, the earth is violently shifting, animals tear each other apart, viruses and bacteria constantly adapt to invade hosts of all sorts, people fight and torture each other over silly stories, and we imagine it should be different or blindly impose our very own romantic view of reality. We are truly novices with our frontal lobes. But is nature suffering? That seems uniquely human. The suffering part is to believe that what is clearly plainly happening should be other that what it is, to scream against reality in the name of unfounded imagined ideas. The red-billed quelea fights the armored ground cricket coming into it's nest to eat it's chicks because that's what it does.

The question is, is all the cascading beauty we see in nature worth the suffering that so relentlessly drives its mechanism?

Isn't it just a fanciful idea that there is somehow a way to opt out or same with the invented sense of trapped in this interpreted world percieved? Perspective shifts in an instant from trapped and unfair to utterly undefinable miracle. The question of suffering is groud-zero with the perceiver.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Postby TemporalDissonance » Wed May 11, 2016 5:02 am

randomguy wrote:...But is nature suffering? That seems uniquely human. The suffering part is to believe that what is clearly plainly happening should be other that what it is, to scream against reality in the name of unfounded imagined ideas.

I share randomguy's take on this, but the only thing is that I am not sure if this is uniquely human experience. There have been instances of cows crying right before slaughter, dogs mourning the lost of a human companion...

To put things into perspective, came across this story of how our ape ancestors diverged to chimps (our direct ancestors) and bonobos just by a river, and how... just by this one river, humans could have been the peace loving bonobos instead of the competitive chimps.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/07/opinions/mothers-day-chimps-bonobos-safina/
TemporalDissonance

Postby randomguy » Fri May 13, 2016 6:41 pm

Temporal, I think you are right to point out I made too clean a line between humans and animals. Perhaps it would have been better said that seems uniquely human the glorious heights to which we experience suffering and delusion compared to our animal brothers and sisters.

To support your point, here is a great documentary featuring baboons experiencing stress related to their social status. It appears that some of these baboons live with the fact that they know they're going to take a beating sooner or later and it shows in similar symptoms to human stress. "Stress Portrait of a Killer" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYG0ZuTv5rs

Nonetheless, underlying all the movements in the world of form is a timeless stillness quite at peace with the goings on of Nature.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sat May 14, 2016 2:01 pm

The question is, is all the cascading beauty we see in nature worth the suffering that so relentlessly drives its mechanism?

I'm of the same idea above, its only suffering if we label it so.
Was it ET that reminds us, from the moment of our (physical) birth we are heading towards our (physical) death every step every minute every day closer and closer to the inevitable.

The sooner we accept that, the sooner we see the bigger, ever changing picture unfolding in all of nature without separation, more like a kaleidoscope than a telescope and all beautiful in its own way.

I love the quote - change, is the violence that throws us headlong into our future.
But of course it's always now, so change is an integral part of now.
It's also only the notion that physical pain and physical death is the ultimate experience, and maybe it's not, maybe the presence is.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby Enlightened2B » Sat May 14, 2016 6:12 pm

Everything comes down to perspective. I've experienced mass amounts of chronic disease over the past 8-9 years and at first it was a death sentence for me. I was miserable, and contemplated suicide at times. Life seemed terrible and cruel. Why was I and other stuck with the horrors of physical disease and why does nature suffer?

There is ALWAYS another way to view things in the form of appreciation. That physical disease has been the contrast that has helped me shape my perspective into appreciating life so much more by dissociating from my thought patterns stemming from anxious ridden subconscious belief patterns playing out over and over again in my experience from that scared inner child that needed to suppress his emotions in order to survive growing up in a very scary world of separation. Being able to lovingly embrace those parts of myself and that inner child and talk to it with self love, has allowed me to see that there is this beautiful Clear space of awareness which I am that is never struck with horror or sickness and it is only thoughts themselves which create suffering for me. With that shift in my perspective, life has become SO much joyful for me and blissful to dive into. Seeing my subconscious patterns in the conscious light of awareness has liberated me from the story of who I "thought" I was. Without chronic disease, none of this would have happened for me.

So, the circle of life is happening at every level. The death of an animal provides sustenance and life for the critters within the soil to feast upon. We only view life as "horror" or "suffering" when we only look at part of the picture. There is ALWAYS another way to view it.

The greatest form of suffering is believing we are only these human "biological" machines. We are so much more and we have so much beautiful power in our lives to create something different if we simply take notice that we ARE creating our realities. There is no victim here....unless we choose to identify with those beliefs that claim as such. There is never a victim. The law of attraction is a beautiful thing if we understand it.
Enlightened2B

Return to Personal Experiences