Too much thinking?

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Too much thinking?

Postby tnt222 » Mon May 16, 2016 7:56 am

Ever since I read The Power of Now, it resonated with me very strongly. It seemed so simple but so complex at the same time. I immediately tried applying Eckhart's teachings to my life, and at some points, it really did work. However, only for a short amount of time each time. But, I figured that would be normal as I was (and am) a beginner. Throughout the time since I read the book (about a year ago), I've been trying to reach presence, and have picked up some thoughts/ideas that led to questions about it all. Mostly, I think my "problem" has been that I have been trying SO hard to understand what is presence (and how to achieve it) with my mind. I know this defeats the purpose because Eckhart says that it cannot be understood with the mind... However, I can't help but find myself trying to create a "formula" with my mind that would allow me to access the Now. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to "switch off" this desperate effort of trying to UNDERSTAND it logically? Maybe some of you are in a similar situation.
I do know that we are supposed to just observe and watch the thinker, but that doesn't always prevent me from getting more wrapped up in my thoughts.
Another thing I wanted to mention were the various methods Eckhart talks about how to access the now. He talks about the inner body, focusing deeply on the Now, nonresistance, etc etc... Again, that seems like there are SO many different ways of accessing the Now, and I just don't know which one to pick (again, trying to understand it).
Also, sometimes even though I KNOW that it is my Ego talking/thinking (whenever I am experiencing negative emotions/thoughts/falling into bad patterns) I can't seem to get out of it... Again, I realize that it's not "me", but I guess I can't create that "space" to separate me from it.
Any help/ideas are greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Kate
tnt222

Re: Too much thinking?

Postby Webwanderer » Mon May 16, 2016 3:08 pm

Welcome to the forum Kate.

Logically, you can't get to the clarity of being you seek by using just logic. Presence is felt. Labels tend to do more to distort than to clarify when regaining our sense of being. Our sense of being is not a thought. Thought is a form of content within consciousness, within presence.

I suggest you utilize some deep breathing exercises. A few deep and connected breaths, five, ten or more if you like, will do wonders at bringing you into clearer contact with your conscious feeling nature. Be curious, explore the moment with your feelings without defining what you feel. Make no judgments on content, as that will cause separation and disconnect with a free and open presence. Presence is inclusive. When observing arising thoughts pay attention to how they feel over what they say. Then let them go in favor of a more spacial feeling of the conditions present.

There's a book out by Spencer Johnson called "The Precious Present". A wonderful read.

WW
Webwanderer

Re: Too much thinking?

Postby tnt222 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:13 am

Hello WW,

Thanks so much for the book recommendation - I will definitely be checking it out! Always love some new material.
tnt222

Return to Personal Experiences