The best gift you can give ...

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

The best gift you can give ...

Postby painBody » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:39 am

If I had to pick one nugget of ET wisdom to take to my end, it would be ... "The best gift you can give another human being is your complete and undivided attention." ... I've rephrased this a slight bit as I don't remember the exact wording/source.

I cannot think of too many Earthly problems that would persist, if everyone lived (or tried to live) in this way. Instead, what I see receiving the most attention, is texting, Facebook, work emails, cell phone games (?!), .... families getting together at restaurants, only so that people can each do their own thing on their cell phones. And, they love to use the euphemism "multi-tasking" to justify their unconsciousness.

As an example, I spent a few months last year with a dear friend of mine. She knew I was going to be homeless soon, and that our time together was coming to a quick end. But, it didn't stop her from spending all our hangout time on her cell phone. This is the same person who once left 10 huge bags of groceries in my living room, knowing that I was starving (broke). On our last day together (before I moved away), she came over for two hours. She spent the entire time on her phone. My last memory with her is that of her saying, "Hey, I sense you're not too happy with me being here. Should I leave ?" ... "Take care." (truck drives away)

Do you know what that feels like ? I have a beating heart inside me, but I just don't match up to a little bundle of plastic and metal.

The addiction to technology and the unconsciousness that causes, make me deeply sad ... my heart bleeds. It makes me tremble with fear, hopelessness, and helplessness. It makes me feel very cold, lonely, and disconnected from this Earth. It highlights the only real lack I have ever felt ... the lack of attention from another.

If you have people you care about, in your life, please give them this simple yet sacred gift. You have a wonderful opportunity in front of you, that many others would love to have.
Last edited by painBody on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
God, grant me the humility to accept the things I cannot understand, the creativity to utilize the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
painBody

Re: The best gift you can give ...

Postby Onceler » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:27 pm

Fully agree, painbody. I could do better at this myself. Thanks for the reminder.
"When the fear is gone, the mind becomes much quieter, much less full of things. Thoughts become like a gentle rain rather than a thunderstorm." John Sherman
Onceler

Re: The best gift you can give ...

Postby painBody » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:25 pm

Onceler wrote:Fully agree, painbody. I could do better at this myself. Thanks for the reminder.

:)
God, grant me the humility to accept the things I cannot understand, the creativity to utilize the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
painBody

Return to Personal Experiences