Back from the Eckhart Tolle spiritual retreat 2017 in Norway

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
Testigo

Re: Back from the Eckhart Tolle spiritual retreat 2017 in No

Post by Testigo » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:54 am

Testigo wrote:Dear Onceler:
I am very grateful for your quick and profound answer to my post.
I have read it several times, every sentence very carefully, and something in this message touched me deeply. It is without doubt the feeling of the echo of the words of other authors, masters or spiritual advisers that I have read and perhaps disregarded in the past.
I have been considering the essence of what you say and my conclusion is that all of it makes sense: I am here fulfilling a particular role, and as such, first of all, I have to comply to what was assigned to me and be conscious of it, but without using my cognitive mind.
Is that it? Have I got correctly the essence of the message?
Thanks again, Onceler.
TESTIGO

To land Here and Now

jukai

Re: Back from the Eckhart Tolle spiritual retreat 2017 in Norway

Post by jukai » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:57 am

I don't mean to take away from anyone's in-person (or at least in-proximity) experiences with Eckhart, but I have found that I much prefer listening to his material in the comfort of my home or my car. I think that a prerequisite to being able to absorb what he says is a comfortable environment where there is nothing to worry about other than being able to hear what he is saying.

I did see him live once in a large auditorium, and all I got out of that was the sight of people's butts and the sounds of their various ringtones. People were walking in and out constantly throughout the time he spoke, which was barely an hour, and the sound was barely loud enough to even be heard !

Anyway, I think I would be extremely uncomfortable sitting for hours or days in one of those places - ashrams or spiritual centers or whatever. Sitting in total silence, surrounded by total strangers, trying to control my gastrointestinal system and worrying it might play some musical notes. And, all the time subconsciously trying to prove to the dude sitting next to me that I'm a better disciple of Eckhart's than he is.

To the original poster or whoever else attended his retreats, did you not find it uncomfortable or awkward in the least ? And didn't that get in the way of being able to absorb whatever was said ?