Have you changed your diet ?

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
SmartestFool

Have you changed your diet ?

Post by SmartestFool » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:29 pm

Have you changed your diet since discovering Eckhart Tolle ? He says you should do everything consciously, and I think that can have an impact on the food you choose to fuel your body with.

Dcs

Re: Have you changed your diet ?

Post by Dcs » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:31 pm

SmartestFool wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:29 pm
Have you changed your diet since discovering Eckhart Tolle ? He says you should do everything consciously, and I think that can have an impact on the food you choose to fuel your body with.
I became a vegetarian before I knew ET, but it was after I started to know presence/buddhism/non-dualism. Nowadays, I have a very complet and healthy diet, and I love it. It is easy to follow for me.

SputnikSweetheart

Post by SputnikSweetheart » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:02 am

I don't think Eckhart ever said that becoming a vegetarian was required when on our path to broadening our awareness -- quite the opposite!. From my recollection, he did mention once to be aware of inner body sensations while eating and to listen to how our body responds to different foods. If the body responds favorably to a certain food (although I do believe this requires quite heightened awareness of the inner body) then it's probably good to eat.

I actually don't know if I agree with Eckhart on this one. Partially - yes! absolutely, I have listened to my inner body when eating and have found especially sugary foods to provoke a negative response. I have reduced such foods from my diet and thought all is now good!

My opinion changed last summer after I read a book about factory farming. It explained in pretty vivid detail the treatment animals in factory farms get -- the cage sizes, the fattening, the antibiotics and many more. I cried several times after I read this book, it really felt like my soul was being touched by what I had learned. I felt a lot of disgust about the literal TORTURE of other sentient beings.
I mean here's the thing: I've been practicing meditation and expanding my awareness for several years now, letting the No Self wash over me, letting emotions from within touch me without letting the ego come through the back door. So I'm pretty sure my emotional response came from a space of compassion, motivated by the desire to alleviate suffering of ALL sentient beings.

I am NOT against killing animals. I think death is profoundly misunderstood in our society; instead of seeing death (along with birth) as a spiritual process, literally opening the gate to Stillness and allowing beings to accept and let go of their physical dimensions, us humans have been literally absorbed by constant fear and weird denial concerning death.Back to my point! Killing animals is not wrong per se, but torturing them, well I do think that is wrong.

I also believe that we have the responsibility to inform ourselves and make rational decisions so that suffering is reduced in the world. For myself, guidance by Being and flowing in the present moment go hand in hand with rationality and using my logic. Both offer truths, in different ways. These 2 modalities, and I'm sure there's plenty of writing on this one, are like some yin and yang of mental states.
So basically, if we have the possibility to alleviate animal suffering by not buying meat in your supermarket, WHY NOT do that?!

Anyone have any thoughts, suggestion on this matter? I await new insights by the amazing people on this forum. Thank you!~
“Such certainty is beautiful, but uncertainty is more beautiful still”

Dcs

Post by Dcs » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:12 pm

SputnikSweetheart wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:02 am
I don't think Eckhart ever said that becoming a vegetarian was required when on our path to broadening our awareness
Yes, I agree that he didn't say that, but I don't just "follow" what he says. In fact, I don't want to just follow what anyone says. My goal is just to read a lot about presence/non-dualism/buddhism in order to have more opportunities of insights - and that's the place ET is to me -, but, in my opinion, the practice and the path are very particular, and it is a illusion to think that somebody has all the "correct" understandings and answers about these (even because language is literally a tool we created to communicate with each other, and the real world is before language).

Here's my take: in my opinion, if we all are the same, and we are interconnected, doesn't make much sense to do something that cause suffering; and eating meat does that to a lot of living beings. Besides that, we already have the knowledge that proves we simply don't need to eat meet to have all the substances we need to live healthy. So, to me it was very natural stopping eating.

I think this is very polemic e particular. I think everyone knows what make sense to them in their hear/"background". What I know is that a lot of monks are vegetarians, and a lot aren't. Everyone knows their own path. But, in my opinion, everyone should at least see videos, books, materials about it, because it's a serious matter. They are tortured, they suffer, they cry, they cry, and even they die of sadness. We really can not help and do more to prevent this?

Anyway, going beyond the polemic of vegetarianism, I'd say to the topic's author that I started to eat a lot healthier after I started my practice. Seriously, my food has changed dramatically, hehehehehe. :- )