Have you changed your diet ?

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
Post Reply
SmartestFool
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:02 pm

Have you changed your diet ?

Post by SmartestFool » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:29 pm

Have you changed your diet since discovering Eckhart Tolle ? He says you should do everything consciously, and I think that can have an impact on the food you choose to fuel your body with.

Dcdc
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:01 pm

Re: Have you changed your diet ?

Post by Dcdc » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:31 pm

SmartestFool wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:29 pm
Have you changed your diet since discovering Eckhart Tolle ? He says you should do everything consciously, and I think that can have an impact on the food you choose to fuel your body with.
I became a vegetarian before I knew ET, but it was after I started to know presence/buddhism/non-dualism. Nowadays, I have a very complet and healthy diet, and I love it. It is easy to follow for me.

SputnikSweetheart
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: Have you changed your diet ?

Post by SputnikSweetheart » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:02 am

I don't think Eckhart ever said that becoming a vegetarian was required when on our path to broadening our awareness -- quite the opposite!. From my recollection, he did mention once to be aware of inner body sensations while eating and to listen to how our body responds to different foods. If the body responds favorably to a certain food (although I do believe this requires quite heightened awareness of the inner body) then it's probably good to eat.

I actually don't know if I agree with Eckhart on this one. Partially - yes! absolutely, I have listened to my inner body when eating and have found especially sugary foods to provoke a negative response. I have reduced such foods from my diet and thought all is now good!

My opinion changed last summer after I read a book about factory farming. It explained in pretty vivid detail the treatment animals in factory farms get -- the cage sizes, the fattening, the antibiotics and many more. I cried several times after I read this book, it really felt like my soul was being touched by what I had learned. I felt a lot of disgust about the literal TORTURE of other sentient beings.
I mean here's the thing: I've been practicing meditation and expanding my awareness for several years now, letting the No Self wash over me, letting emotions from within touch me without letting the ego come through the back door. So I'm pretty sure my emotional response came from a space of compassion, motivated by the desire to alleviate suffering of ALL sentient beings.

I am NOT against killing animals. I think death is profoundly misunderstood in our society; instead of seeing death (along with birth) as a spiritual process, literally opening the gate to Stillness and allowing beings to accept and let go of their physical dimensions, us humans have been literally absorbed by constant fear and weird denial concerning death.Back to my point! Killing animals is not wrong per se, but torturing them, well I do think that is wrong.

I also believe that we have the responsibility to inform ourselves and make rational decisions so that suffering is reduced in the world. For myself, guidance by Being and flowing in the present moment go hand in hand with rationality and using my logic. Both offer truths, in different ways. These 2 modalities, and I'm sure there's plenty of writing on this one, are like some yin and yang of mental states.
So basically, if we have the possibility to alleviate animal suffering by not buying meat in your supermarket, WHY NOT do that?!

Anyone have any thoughts, suggestion on this matter? I await new insights by the amazing people on this forum. Thank you!~
“Such certainty is beautiful, but uncertainty is more beautiful still”

Dcdc
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:01 pm

Re: Have you changed your diet ?

Post by Dcdc » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:12 pm

SputnikSweetheart wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:02 am
I don't think Eckhart ever said that becoming a vegetarian was required when on our path to broadening our awareness
Yes, I agree that he didn't say that, but I don't just "follow" what he says. In fact, I don't want to just follow what anyone says. My goal is just to read a lot about presence/non-dualism/buddhism in order to have more opportunities of insights - and that's the place ET is to me -, but, in my opinion, the practice and the path are very particular, and it is a illusion to think that somebody has all the "correct" understandings and answers about these (even because language is literally a tool we created to communicate with each other, and the real world is before language).

Here's my take: in my opinion, if we all are the same, and we are interconnected, doesn't make much sense to do something that cause suffering; and eating meat does that to a lot of living beings. Besides that, we already have the knowledge that proves we simply don't need to eat meet to have all the substances we need to live healthy. So, to me it was very natural stopping eating.

I think this is very polemic e particular. I think everyone knows what make sense to them in their hear/"background". What I know is that a lot of monks are vegetarians, and a lot aren't. Everyone knows their own path. But, in my opinion, everyone should at least see videos, books, materials about it, because it's a serious matter. They are tortured, they suffer, they cry, they cry, and even they die of sadness. We really can not help and do more to prevent this?

Anyway, going beyond the polemic of vegetarianism, I'd say to the topic's author that I started to eat a lot healthier after I started my practice. Seriously, my food has changed dramatically, hehehehehe. :- )

Alicia
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:07 pm

Re: Have you changed your diet ?

Post by Alicia » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:06 pm

Yes I'm in the process of changing it. I've always been diet-conscious to be fair, due to ongoing health issues, but I've had a lifelong addiction to sugar and chocolate in particular, which I know holds me back on all levels. In the last few months I have vowed to really tackle this and be even more conscious of what I put in my body. That is not to say that I'll never have treats, but it's more about getting to the route of what sugar represents for me and what my disordered eating (trust me, I reach for the sugary stuff A LOT!) is really about.

I used to be a vegetarian and very much sympathise with that worldview, but I now think it's important to listen to your body foremost. If you do better on meat, eat it. Some people do. I would say that being mindful about food also extends to thinking about where it comes from and trying to buy the most humane sources possible within one's awareness and money limitations etc.

I don't subsrcribe to the view that raising one's awareness demands any specific diet or lifestyle as it's about trusting ones own guidance.

User avatar
Onceler
Posts: 2257
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:35 am
Location: My house

Re: Have you changed your diet ?

Post by Onceler » Tue May 07, 2019 3:06 am

I eat a whole foods plant based diet, extremely limited in animal products. It’s what my intuition seemed to guide me toward over the years and it cured my food addiction to sugary and fatty foods. I love it and feel good.
Be present, be pleasant.

Alicia
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:07 pm

Re: Have you changed your diet ?

Post by Alicia » Tue May 07, 2019 2:50 pm

Onceler, that's really great. Do you mind if I ask if your diet consists of legumes, wholegrains, nuts seeds etc? I'm just curious how peoples diets have worked for them. I have such severe problems with food and I struggle to find a suitable diet.

User avatar
Loffe
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:24 am

Re: Have you changed your diet ?

Post by Loffe » Sat May 11, 2019 7:34 am

I think diet depends on the current state of body and/or genetics. For me right now is low-carb, high animal fat diet suitable also no sugar and processed foods. Addition to that i practice intermittent fasting - 16 hours fasting and in an 8-hour window i eat calories what's needed for a day.
What to eat seems not to affect the presence but rather a brain and a how active mind is. But again active mind gives the opportunity to observe it.

User avatar
Onceler
Posts: 2257
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:35 am
Location: My house

Re: Have you changed your diet ?

Post by Onceler » Sun May 12, 2019 12:37 pm

Alicia wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:50 pm
Onceler, that's really great. Do you mind if I ask if your diet consists of legumes, wholegrains, nuts seeds etc? I'm just curious how peoples diets have worked for them. I have such severe problems with food and I struggle to find a suitable diet.
Yes, whole grains, nuts and seeds, lots of vegetables and fruit and legumes. I love the diet and feel satisfied. I struggled with food addiction and binge eating all my life and found that I can’t eat any processed sugar whatsoever or inevitably it will cause a binge.....much like some alcoholics cannot have even a small amount of alcohol. I have found through this process and experimentation that the average first world diet of processed food is incredibly addictive for some people, probably most people, and can inevitably cause chronic health issues, mainly due to inflammatory effects.

I think this diet alleviates a lot of stress, anxiety and depression that I used to suffer from, giving a good base for presence. I am also very active, running and doing a lot of movement and physical work throughout the day and I seem to have plenty of energy for all that.

Not eating animals or animal products also feels right to me from a moral and environmental standpoint, although I occasionally have meat or fish, so it’s not a complete never.

I wish you luck sorting this out.....it can be difficult finding a diet that works.
Be present, be pleasant.

Alicia
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:07 pm

Re: Have you changed your diet ?

Post by Alicia » Mon May 20, 2019 6:34 pm

Onceler wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:37 pm
Alicia wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:50 pm
Onceler, that's really great. Do you mind if I ask if your diet consists of legumes, wholegrains, nuts seeds etc? I'm just curious how peoples diets have worked for them. I have such severe problems with food and I struggle to find a suitable diet.
Yes, whole grains, nuts and seeds, lots of vegetables and fruit and legumes. I love the diet and feel satisfied. I struggled with food addiction and binge eating all my life and found that I can’t eat any processed sugar whatsoever or inevitably it will cause a binge.....much like some alcoholics cannot have even a small amount of alcohol. I have found through this process and experimentation that the average first world diet of processed food is incredibly addictive for some people, probably most people, and can inevitably cause chronic health issues, mainly due to inflammatory effects.

I think this diet alleviates a lot of stress, anxiety and depression that I used to suffer from, giving a good base for presence. I am also very active, running and doing a lot of movement and physical work throughout the day and I seem to have plenty of energy for all that.

Not eating animals or animal products also feels right to me from a moral and environmental standpoint, although I occasionally have meat or fish, so it’s not a complete never.

I wish you luck sorting this out.....it can be difficult finding a diet that works.
Many thanks for sharing. So glad you have found a diet that works. I agree sugar is incredibly addictive, I even get shaky if I go too long without any. Being able to release yourself from those intense cravings must be a massive relief. I'm going to try and do the same.

Post Reply