The Power of Now on Vacation

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

The Power of Now on Vacation

Postby barbarasher » Mon May 09, 2005 11:07 pm

Just before going on vacation I received and listened to ET's Gateways CD. It talks about three gateways to presence: the inner body, attention to silence and acceptance.

Going on vacation is wonderful and it was. But my mind came with me too. And as we all know know the level of happiness is the level of your internal barometer, not your outside circumstances.

Going on vacation for 2.5 weeks with husband a small daughter doing wonderful things, being together was great.

I also got sick. I had a serious flu for 7 days and I have only missed one day of work 8 years ago. It also rained for three full days. Aggravation and disappointment and mind chatter started: poor me, I am a rain maker, how come I am only sick on vacation, how come my husband did that, how come I am not having as much fun as I should….

I found that while walking, sitting on a boat or resting in bed that these gateways helped me suffer less than I have done on vacation previously. I am a recovering workaholic, daily tennis player and diet cola addict, I was completely unplugged during the vacation from all my stimulants, which gave my mind even more space to attack because of the lack of diversions.

I still have a ways to travel with the mind issue, but I was helped by the methods, and rereading the first PON book.

I know it sounds stupid to be complaining about suffering on vacation, but I hope some of you understand.

And I love my life….
barbarasher

Re: The Power of Now on Vacation

Postby Triple T » Tue May 10, 2005 2:06 am

barbarasher wrote: ... suffer less than I have done on vacation previously. I am a recovering workaholic, daily tennis player and diet cola addict, I was completely unplugged during the vacation from all my stimulants, which gave my mind even more space to attack because of the lack of diversions.

Barbara I think your experience is wonderful! How incredible to be able to see the insanity of the mind where you don't expect it to appear.
A vacation is 'supposed' to be many things, maybe an escape from the madness that surrounds our daily lives. But your mind went along for the ride and the level of presence within you was able to see it in action.
What I am hearing in your description is that you wouldn't have had this level of non-suffering if you hadn't been steeped already in the PON.
Bravo! It speaks volumes on the power of this teaching and the increasing level of presence in your life! :D
Triple T

Postby barbarasher » Tue May 10, 2005 8:45 pm

Thanks Triple T. That was very encouraging and sympathetic.

Yes, the PON marterial is very helpful and I have more of his CDs that just came by post.

I assume you to come to it with a dire need and feeling of how applicable it is to your situation. Is this correct?
barbarasher

Postby summer » Wed May 11, 2005 12:40 am

Hi Barbara,
I was in the health field for many years, and it is very common for people to get sick on their holidays. For a change, they are often relaxing more, and the body takes advantage of this time to 'clean things up" So although it may be upsetting to be sick "when you are supposed to be having a good time" in the long run it can be excellent for your health.

Good to see you posting again :)
summer

Postby Triple T » Wed May 11, 2005 4:02 am

barbarasher wrote:I assume you to come to it with a dire need and feeling of how applicable it is to your situation. Is this correct?

Yes! It is what ET calls the egoic suffering sense of self.
I found that no matter what joys or positive things were happening in my life, there were always thoughts or patterns that I would feel trapped in that made me feel like I was never getting anywhere.
What the PON material has helped me realize is that I have been stuck in mind patterns and what is exciting me is learning tools to recognize them more and more.
It seems what I have been experiencing lately from reading this material is the witnessing of madness within me and others around me. I am trusting that as the energy of presence is cultivated, that the pain-body that I live with will be transformed. You know, it is the feeling that I have suffered enough and I am tired of it! What is very encouraging to me is that I am noticing more and more patterns of behaviour in day to day stuff that I wasn't consistently conscious of before.
So when you shared your vacation story, it resonated with me big time.
I love it when I hear or read something he says and then experience it in my life. It sounds like thats what happened to you on your getaway.

Although the experience was less than what you maybe had hoped for,
the fact that you were more conscious and therefore suffered less is cause for much celebration.
:)
Triple T

Postby barbarasher » Thu May 12, 2005 9:39 pm

Dear Summer,

Thanks so much for that information Summer. I somehow had the illogical feeling that it is my "fault" because I work so hard. I won't even try explain the stupid logic behind that statement since it is one my stupid egoic mind games, of I control the world and everything happens because of a fault of mine.

But can you give me some advice for my future next vacation, which is later this year, please.

Is it caused by working too hard so that I should work less/sleep more leading up to the vacation, or my theory was that it is from the airplane ride, so that I should try not to touch anything and maybe where a surgical mask during the flight. Just to emphasize the point, the only other time I was sick (besides that one day eight years ago) was two years ago with serious flu for one week while on a one week vacation.

So what can I do to avoid this situation? Help.

Dear Triple-T,

I so identify with what you say. Even the stuff about madness. I think we should call it "normal". Since I think that everyone is doing it. Yes it is mad, but when I say madness, I start running my stupid "poor me" scenarios. I prefer to call it some kind of unwanted trait, but to call it normal (anyway putting it like that makes me feel better).

Yes! The feeling that we (I and you) have suffered enough and we are tired of it!

Yes, I too find that he is talking about stuff that closely matches the experiences in my life. I have just finished reading the book "You Can be Happy No matter What?" by Richard Carlson (you of Don't Sweat the Small Stuff fame). It is very good and also has a chapter on the now and presences.

Yes, suffering less is cause for celebration. Celebration is always great, anyway. Sometimes when something good happens, I say let's celebrate and others say, "no don't", wait until whatever so that we will really know that this is real or good. I say, as soon as you have any cause, just celebrate and give thanks.

PS: When I say celebration I mean just an emotional, verbal acknowledgement or raising a toast to the good that has happened.
barbarasher

Postby heidi » Sat May 14, 2005 9:12 pm

And speaking of vacation...I just got back from 2 weeks in the Bahamas. The most interesting thing I observed was everytime I put on my sunscreen, my mind kept singing that song by Cheryl Crow, "I'm gonna soak up the sun, Got my 45 on, so I can rock on..." And I'd catch myself, observe it, and go quiet. Other tunes that attended me included some of my favorite reggae tunes and that old spiritual, Wade in the Water. It was funny how my mind would latch onto these, my consciousness would observe the phemonenon, and I would laugh at myself.

Every day I either ran or walked as far as I could go, stopping by at this little cemetary where 21 Haitians were buried among the palms There I'd stretch and just exude gratefulness for my good health, resilient body (how it allows me to do so much debaucery and wake up feeling great!), and such abundance in my life. Along the way we'd find the huge sand dollars, and we were rich with them after a few days, so I would give them away sharing the abundance. We had a wedding in the middle, and we gave the couple a really nice sand dollar to symbolize abundance.
So, that's my vacation story, how an 11 year old in a 53 year old's body does the Bahamas :)

Barbara - I used to get sick on holidays. I think it could involve the stress of planning. Now when I'm planning, I'm staying present with it, having the planning be in the moment without trying to foresee, just doing. I do immunics, too, which really raises my immunity and keeps me in joyous good health despite the fact that I do things everyone thinks are unhealthy :lol: .
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby barbarasher » Sun May 15, 2005 7:11 pm

Sounds great! Thanks Heidi!
barbarasher

Return to Personal Experiences