Bringing nondual ideas to my church group

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
joe

Bringing nondual ideas to my church group

Post by joe » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:52 am

My Life Group was getting super dull and I have now joined a men's group at my church. It is a lot more invigorating because of the sharing. However as expected, the discourse is still in the traditional, baby Christianity mode. Unlike in my Life Group, when I am bringing some depth to the discussion I don't see nodding heads, not to even mention light bulbs going off. Example: one of our discussion questions on the subject of disciplining the mind was something like "what occupies your mind?" The other men started to debate which of the things on the list were most strong. I pointed out that it was a lot more helpful for me to look at patterns of the mind. The content always changes, but what matters is detaching from the mind and not identifying with it. While this is not a way of thinking about the mind in traditional Christianity I do think that Jesus taught it and it is certainly a key spiritual principle across the board. Anyhow, I didn't get any wind in my sails from the group. Could it be they just don't get it due to spiritual immaturity? I am trying hard not to be judgmental. But what I said seems like it should have been so exciting to hear and discuss. I know it would be here!

Mariemar

Re: Bringing nondual ideas to my church group

Post by Mariemar » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:25 pm

Hi Joe,
I have heard messages about the power of our thoughts and words mostly from church online like Joyce Meyer and Life church (Craig Groeschel). Unfortunately not often in my home church. Like Eckie suggests the best would be to observe/acknowledge, accept, do not label and leave the door open for questions. It can be that they are not comfortable sharing or very possible that they are not there yet like you have mentioned.
I agree that the principle of recognising the mind patterns (and holding every thought captive to make it obedient to Christ) and practicing self control is absolutely part of Jesus’s teaching. But I also believe the many Christians see it as struggling (having to fight against certain thoughts), efforting, and resisting instead of softening, noting and not engaging with the thought/emotion. Probably the ego kicks in with a plan on how to achieve self control. The piece that I was missing before reading ETs books is the principle of allowing, of non resistance to what is and understanding that resistance only strengthens the reality and creates more polarity and opposition. This was a big leap for me and shone so much light on what Jesus was teaching and doing.
I believe that people naturally are drawn to your energy once you start practicing being alert/present and compassionate, and they come with questions. You become an alive branch connected to the essence of the Christ mind.