The Power of Now During Shopping

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

The Power of Now During Shopping

Postby barbarasher » Fri May 13, 2005 4:31 pm

I just had a nice PON experience and want to tell you about it.

Do you remember how ET talks about the stress of always wanting to be there when you are here, meaning, always living in the next moment? Well that's me. I am always doing everything fast. I zip around doing a million things, running from here to there.

But more than that. Not only is my physical body moving around quickly all the time, my mind is always projected into the future, into the next moment. Into getting there, and I never get there, since the "there" moves all the time, since it changes as soon as I get there.

Well, Friday here is Sabbath eve, and the stores all close early and do not open until Sunday. I also make Friday afternoon a special time with my younger daughter and we do things together after school. So shopping is a rush.

We got to the store breathlessly at 14:30 and from what I remember, it closes either at 14:30 or 15;00. When I got there and they let me (rejoicing), they told me that they are now open until 17:00. WOW! Talk about being able to shop slowly. I rejoiced with my daughter and we spoke about how we were going to food shop slowly, which we never do.

The beauty of it was that I was in my body during that time. My self wasn't projected down the aisle to the next thing that I was going to do, or my mind wasn't busy planning the most efficient route thru the store to get the bare necessities before they close and kick me out.

I was present for my daughter as she looked at all the items and told me her ideas about how we could use each thing.

Of course, we bought more than usual, but it was good.
barbarasher

Postby erict » Fri May 13, 2005 5:12 pm

Hi Barbara!

I just love your post titles. :D Welcome back, the place wasn't the same without you. :)

Oh, I have a question for you. Tolle's teachings have obviously become an important part of your life. Have you shared them with your family, with your husband or daughter? Also, have they affected your relationships with your family members?
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby barbarasher » Fri May 13, 2005 9:34 pm

Thank you for your positive enthusiasm. I speak of how the material deals with my life, but I guess/hope it touches bases with many others too.

Have you shared them with your family, with your husband or daughter?

The short answer is "No". But, see below.

Also, have they affected your relationships with your family members?

The short answer is "Yes". One because I am more at peace, and two because I am more accepting, which creates a dynamic which gets reciprocated.

And now for the promised details.

Tonight, we all sat at Shabbat dinner at my parents. I thought about what you said, and my negative side was saying, "Since my family (parents and husband) already "know everything" in their opinion, I can't tell them anything. On the other hand another part of me was saying, "Well I can't express it well enough to even bring it up". It seems that I actual said the first part out loud, meaning about them thinking that they know everything.

Well, a very interesting and wonderful thing happened!!!!! My mother started preaching the "message" of Eckhart Tolle. I didn't say anything and listened for about 10 minutes until she finished. She got it down pretty good. I said, "Did I tell you that this is the guy's books that I've been reading and the CDs I've been listening to?". She said "no".

Well, it seems that there is a two-page article about him in People Magazine in the March 21st issue. She had just got it in the mail. If anyone would like me to fax it to them, just email me.

Wow!!!! I had been mentioning presence and the now for a few months at the table, but not too much. I was more busy accepting them as they are without arguing out loud or in my head with them.

I asked my mother if she wants to read his books and she said "Yes". Wow!
Last edited by barbarasher on Fri May 13, 2005 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barbarasher

Postby summer » Sat May 14, 2005 2:43 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You are hilarious Barbara.

I can't wait to hear what your mother has to say about Eckart's book
summer

Return to Personal Experiences