I Am That Too

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

I Am That Too

Postby quitesane » Tue May 17, 2005 10:39 pm

It is easy to look out over mountains and trees and know "I am that". It is not so easy when one looks at a pile of dung. (Of course I am speaking from personal experience here and do not wish to project.) Today, I encountered the repulsive and knew "I am that too".
Patrick

"Whatever works." - Tolle
quitesane

Postby barbarasher » Wed May 18, 2005 6:07 am

It sounds so interesting. Please tell us more details of this experience.
barbarasher

Postby ECM » Thu May 19, 2005 4:33 am

yes - what she said !
ECM

Postby quitesane » Thu May 19, 2005 1:58 pm

For me, the realization of oneness is a progressive one. I know oneness, which is to say I experience the state of being/oneness/emptiness (pointing >>>). With that, a level of comprehension or understanding arises. It does not, however, immediately translate into every aspect of my form life. (Neither has disidentification with illusion/ego, transmuting the pain body or much else for that matter… except the peace.)

Anyway, there are times when I know/experience (am) oneness as I observe something: “I am that.” It is particularly easy to do this when I look at a pleasant setting. Of course it is! There is sparse little for my mind to object to. It never really dawned on me to find oneness with the repugnant. But how could it be otherwise? If oneness isn't all-inclusive, it isn't oneness, is it?

The other day I came into a situation which was repulsive to the conditioned senses – foul. I observed that my reaction was to “hold my nose, close my eyes and baton down the hatches". The catching it created an opportunity to practice. I allowed the is-ness of the situation, dropped my resistance and knew: “I am that too”.

What followed was a particularly powerful surge in consciousness (still pointing >>>). I had the sense that I was tending to something – a living entity – which had been neglected. I don’t know how else to describe it. It felt like a stray dog that was hungry for attention.
Patrick

quitesane

Postby kiki » Fri May 20, 2005 5:38 pm

Hi quitesane (love the name!),

'The catching it created an opportunity to practice. I allowed the is-ness of the situation, dropped my resistance and knew: “I am that too”. '

The 'catching it' becomes easier as 'time' goes by. Being familiar with just what awareness is makes it obvious when there is a particular arising within awareness - ego, for instance, with its labels and judgments.

The 'dropping' of resistance is really a misnomer, however, for who is there to drop anything? The way 'I' would put it is that in the seeing the dropping happens spontaneously - awareness illuminates the resistance and the ego which projects the resistance (which are really the same thing), and the letting go happens on its own. But I know what you are saying; being stuck with language limits how this can be explained.

In 'my' experience in observing the world and the things which arise within it, there is simply nothing which separates 'me' from anything. I don't have 'I am that too' thoughts; rather, there is simply what is and nothing which says it should or shouldn't be any other way. This isn't to say that ego no longer arises, but when it does it is spotted easily and there is the falling back into the natural state. It is all quite effortless.

Thanks for the great posts.

kiki
kiki

Postby quitesane » Sat May 21, 2005 11:12 am

Yes, well, there is that with words. I could have said "no one, doing no thing, at no time, in no place"... which is perhaps a more accurate rendering of words but there wouldn't be much point to it.
Patrick

quitesane

Return to Personal Experiences