Holding onto the Moment

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Holding onto the Moment

Postby barbarasher » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:17 pm

The subject is the very very high points of life. You know, you work hard and wait and plan and then the moment comes. And it is so wonderful! And I am so present trying to feel every wonderful moment of it. And the time goes by anyway, no matter how present I am.

I felt every second, I smelled every smell I paid attention to it all and enjoyed it tremendously. And the moment still passed. I couldn't hold onto it. Time didn't stop.

So life isn't about only the high moments. It can't be, they come so seldom and pass so quickly no matter how wonderful they are.

The moment I am talking about is the Jewish Olympics, the Maccabiah held last week. I am talking about the opening ceremony where the 7000 sport people were comprised of 50-60 countries who marched into the stadium each with their flag holder and delegation, and then the Israeli delegation coming in last to a crowd of 45,000 roaring Jews who came from all over the world to be there. I represent Israel in women's tennis (age 45-55). I am also American.

Life has a lot of moments a lot of "nows", they are all part of life.
barbarasher

Re: Holding onto the Moment

Postby kiki » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:58 pm

barbarasher wrote:I felt every second, I smelled every smell I paid attention to it all and enjoyed it tremendously. And the moment still passed. I couldn't hold onto it. Time didn't stop.

Remember, there is no "I" to hold onto anything. There was feeling happening, smelling happening, and all the rest was just happening. But, "you" weren't doing any of it. Was there an expectation that "you" could hold on, that time would stop?

So life isn't about only the high moments. It can't be, they come so seldom and pass so quickly no matter how wonderful they are.

Things come, things go - that's the nature of the manifested realm. You as awareness remain untouched. Wonderful, tragic - these are just labels used by the mind.

Life has a lot of moments a lot of "nows", they are all part of life.

No, there are not lots of 'nows' - there is only NOW. What appears within now changes. When mind comes in it slices up and labels what appears and puts it into past, present, and future.

I am glad "you" had an enjoyable experience. Now, let go of it. Be wide open to what is appearing NOW, without judgment, without anticipation, with unconditional acceptance. Come to see that you as awareness are the spaciousness itself in which all appears, that's how magnificent you really are.

kiki (a tennis enthusiast)
kiki

Postby erict » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:55 pm

You are so right, so absolutely right.

I have so much so say in response to what you just wrote, but I cannot find the words.

It is so wonderful to have you here, sharing your expereinces, confirming what I already believe.

Ufff, I've tried for almost half an hour, but I cannot express myself at all right now. :(

At lease I want to say thank you, I really get a lot from some of your posts.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby barbarasher » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:29 am

Eric and Kiki,

Thank you so much for the input. I need it.

Eric, among other things, I am a writer. The way to write (as in many things in life) is to just do it! Just do it. Perfectionism can stop some people, since they want to get it "just right". Can I hear you just "as you are", and not "just right"?
barbarasher

Postby barbarasher » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:34 am

Kiki,

Thank you for your wonderful input, as usual.

Do you find presence in playing tennis?
barbarasher

Postby kiki » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:25 pm

barbarasher,

"Do you find presence in playing tennis?"

It's funny, but before I stumbled onto this "awakening" stuff I found "presence" in most sports, tennis included - what's ironic is that I didn't know what "it" was. The sporting world has a term that is sometimes used, flow, and this is what I was experiencing. It wasn't until later that I realized that this was just another term for presence.

Quick reaction sports such as tennis and ping pong (a great favorite of mine) "penalize" you if you think too much - it's much better to simply "let go" and allow the game to unfold - there is an intelligence that guides you effortlessly if the mind gets out of the way. What is this other than the presence that you are? This same intelligence, if allowed, will guide you in all facets of your life.

kiki
kiki

Postby barbarasher » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:56 pm

Yes, yes yes. That is one of the many reasons why I love it so much. You know, the less I think, the better I play. The higher intelligence is a better tennis player than my thoughts.

I play 6 days a week, each day with a different (once a week) partner.
barbarasher

Postby heidi » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:08 pm

Making art is the same way, too, as is living in general, haha.
From the Zone, :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Return to Personal Experiences