Art, Creation & Now

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Art, Creation & Now

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:27 pm

Hello All - Eric and I have been spinning along in the act of creation as we work together from different sides of the planet to make this forum happen. The process is wonderful!

When in the act of creation there is a spaciousness and presence, The Zone, some call it. I see we have some artists here, I am one, too. I'd love to discuss the act of creation, the joy and flow.

In my art, I find that when I try to force my will upon a piece too much it loses that very thing that makes it pure and enigmatic.

And the most nowness of creating art is the fact that it isn't the product you are making, it's the process, the very present process - the action - that Is Creation - the splendor of action.
not a guest, Heidi

I'd love to "hear" your thoughts.

opps

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:28 pm

That was really me up there, I forgot to login.
Hmmm, maybe my cookies need enabling
Heidi, the Guest

Re: Art, Creation & Now

Postby michal » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:21 pm

I hadn't realized it until your words, that Art very much occurs in the Now.

I can't force myself to draw something. If I really want to translate the images in my head onto paper, I have to... well, I would call it Concentrate, but now I realize that it's so much more than that, it's... BE in the Moment. For one who most of the time lives in the future, I have incredible difficulty and reluctance to Stop, and look at the present, the Now, the reality... It is such an effort for me, and requires a fair amount of concentration and energy. But when I'm In it, everything I am is focused on creation, on the movement of my fingers, on my mind that silently considers where it'd be best to add another line, another shadow... That's why I love it so much; Art is one of the few things in my life that allows me to let go and engulf myself in the present... without me even realizing it, apparently.

Creation IS the process, yes. I often find myself completely disregarding the instructions from my mind, and draw whatever seems most interesting at the time, and the result... often amusing and grotesque. :) I am drawn to the process, to how it makes me feel, to the silence I receive.

Same thing happens to me when I play my guitar. Or design a website.

It gives me peace.
michal

Postby kiki » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:36 pm

I came across book a number of years ago that was a great help to me when it came to drawing called Drawing On the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846). It teaches you to focus on what is right in front of you without judgment while drawing. One of her techniques is to put the original picture of what you are drawing upside down and to not look at your final drawing upside right until you are finished. To my amazement I was able to draw accurately what I was seeing for the first time in my life. Upon reflection I realized how the present moment is essential to the artistic process, and that when present the ego is nowhere to be found.

I have used her method with grade school chidren with very good results - students who could never draw before were so surprised to see themselves drawing with success for the first time.
kiki

Postby Clare » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:57 pm

Well, I've taken a look around this site and already had a breakthrough. Relates to art, so I'll put it here. Heidi, you talk about not forcing your will on a piece. I think this is something I have much trouble with. There is a MAGICAL element to art in which we can 'see' something and it turns out differently. In my recent explorations into pastels (inspired by your work and by a general need to get away from silk) I have been surprised at the point when the painting does its thing and there is little I can do to stop it. Now, in silk painting I expected this, and learned to work with it - dyes flow and all you can do is follow them. But in pastel, you make the mark, and the visions for pastel paintings I have are so clear. So, I expected them to be 'made' by me. But no. I find instead I am 'made' by them.

Now interestingly I have had a weekend of judgements on myself, plus self-doubts. These things are not turning out the way I expected. I expect to be good, just the way I expect to be good at French and all the other things I am doing. But I just read an interview in your interview section, and there Eckhart talks of this as being a state of illusion. Good, bad - who is making these judgements? I caught a glimpse of this tantalising idea of just making marks on paper, of just writing words, of just trying things and exploring things with very little regard for if it is good or not. Wouldn't that be heavenly? I suddenly realised I don't do that. Even when I painted on silk I knew I could follow where the colours went, but I also considered myself GOOD at it. Now, in exploring this new medium, and exploring my writing in the way I am recently I have an opportunity to relinquish the need to be good, and to simply BE the person who is creative, exploring, working in the moment, in whichever way, and however which way. It's like someone gave me a get out of jail card!

It doesnt help being the wife of a highly competitive athlete. For him, being hte best is everything. In being at one with my husband, I realise I have lost some part of myself that is sabotaging my creativity. No blame, Just understanding and time to not fall for that anymore.

Oh, and Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is an excellent book.
Thanks, all
Clare
Clare

Postby heidi » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:12 pm

Clare wrote:I have an opportunity to relinquish the need to be good, and to simply BE the person who is creative, exploring, working in the moment, in whichever way, and however which way. It's like someone gave me a get out of jail card!

:D

Simply Be Creation

That's what I like so much about doing art, when that magic happens, and I simply Am the process.

This quote says it:
The sky is consciousness, your thoughts are the clouds.
Enlightenment is the summertime of consciousness.
When your inner sky is free of clouds your awakening is at hand.
Don't be disheartened by clouds; one day they do clear.
Watch closely for gaps in the clouds.
When you see a gap allow your awareness to rest there.
Gradually the gestalt changes from watching clouds to
being the sky.

Maitreya

Spaciously yours
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Return to Personal Experiences