Stopping

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Stopping

Postby barbarasher » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:42 pm

After reading the "Diamond in Your Pocket" by Gangagi and reading on this site about her CDs, I purchased and listened to the three CDs: The Invitation, The Moment of Choice and Practicing Beyond Practice.

One consistent message throughout is to STOP. To stop the striving, even for spiritual enlightenment. She had tried every kind of enlightening experience and practice and was invited to stop by her teacher Papagi.

I never got into the mediation things and the mantras. These she says are to take you to a place where you already are. This means that we should stop practicing and "be" right now.

I read a lot and I now feel that any book that is talking about mediation and stuff, is not for me.

On one level, I feel that I can stop (although, I am not there yet), and that I do not need the practices in order to get there. I fear though that I am just being arrogant and maybe have to pay my dues first, by doing, reading, "working" more before achieving the goal.

On another level, I realize that this is ridiculous, since stopping means stopping now. That is the invitation.

What do you think?
barbarasher

Postby summer » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:19 am

Dear Barbara,
I think that I would love to meet you in person :D We seem to have so many of the same struggles and questions, that it would be wonderful to just sit down together and share our hearts longings.

Eckhart and Gangaji both speak to the part in us that is already totally present and fulfilled in this very moment. They help us truly know that this is who we are.

And still, we have this dragon that continues to puff and blow and say "No, I am the one who has kept you alive all these years. I have protected you from your enemies. I have helped you succeed in life. I am the one who is the real you" And because she is so familiar we easily fall into identifying ourselves with this mental image of who we think we are. And we are terrified of giving up this identity because we truly believe that we will lose everything that we have fought so hard to acheive in our lives. Our families, our businesses, our homes, our friends, etc.

We read about how Eckhart shifted his sense of self. And we read about how Gangaji has done the same thing. And yet I believe that for each of us it will be different. Barbara will meet her dragon in her own unique way. And Summer will meet her dragon in her own unique way.

Teachers, and meditations, and books, can take us to the cliff. Yet, when we make that final jump we are all alone.
summer

Postby barbarasher » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:24 am

Yes, that would be wonderful to sit and talk. And maybe we could share and heal some of these old issues that we both feel are tiring and worn out and of no use in the bright, shining fresh selves we know ourselves to be.

If you are ever in Israel, come see me. I love California, but am not planning a trip soon.

Yes, I only recently realized there is a cliff, and I am drawn to it and maybe I will sit on its edge, and dance around there for a while. (I of course, mean the cliff off of which we can leap into the self, the stopping the being, the whatever…). This seems to me a beautifil vision, of me on a cliff dancing around a campfire.

Teachers, and meditations, and books, can take us to the cliff. Yet, when we make that final jump we are all alone.

So should we still read them? I think so, but not all are benficial, they are all so different. My new friend wants me to come fo a week's spiritual get-away. I don't know if i want something new in that area, or that maybe its all the same and I should go.

I really feel the same about what you said:

Eckhart and Gangaji both speak to the part in us that is already totally present and fulfilled in this very moment. They help us truly know that this is who we are.

Can you have a few teachers at the same time?
barbarasher

Postby erict » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:41 pm

Can you have a few teachers at the same time?

You have a dozen teachers already, a hundred, a million... each one of the significant people in your life, your successes, failures, joys and sorrows, each and every moment is a teacher. :) And ultimately, you only have one teacher... life.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby summer » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:39 am

Great answer, Eric :) Life itself is the Master.

I was listening to Gangaji this morning, speaking about the sense of I AM.

I AM is both a sensation and a thought. Perhaps the very first thought, that had two babies I AM good and I AM bad. These two children have given birth to the millions of thoughts that fill our minds with an inner battle. All of these different thoughts clamoring, I AM

Yet, when we stay present with this sensation of I AM and don't try to capture it, we open ourselves up to a whole new world. I AM is not a thing. It can never be captured or limited. This is why no teaching can give it to us. Teachers can only point to it and offer us an invitation.

I am so grateful to have teachers like Eckhart and Gangaji in my life. :D
summer

Postby kiki » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:51 am

"On one level, I feel that I can stop (although, I am not there yet), and that I do not need the practices in order to get there. I fear though that I am just being arrogant and maybe have to pay my dues first, by doing, reading, "working" more before achieving the goal.

On another level, I realize that this is ridiculous, since stopping means stopping now. That is the invitation.

What do you think?"

No dues need be paid, no preparation necessary, no working on yourself in order to be worthy - all of those 'things' are what keeps ego going. These are the things which ego uses to justify why they haven't 'got it' yet - 'arrogance' is just another egoic strategy for postponing the seeing of one's true nature right now - quite effective, unfortunately. You/awareness are here now, always. How could it be otherwise?

As Gangaji says, just stop - stop everything you are doing to 'get there.' You/awareness are already here, simply see this directly right now. Once you 'see' this then you'll spot all of those ways which ego uses to continue seeking.

Those ways that ego has used have been hooked into for a long time so don't be surprised if they continue to arise for a while; but if you recognize them as egoic strategies as they arise, then the possibility for stopping presents itself. Then the momentum of ego gets undercut and eventually peters out for the most part.

Teachers, books, gurus, meditation - there is nothing inherently wrong with them. The only caution is if they propose that what you are striving for isn't already here. "Seeking" implies you don't already have what is sought, and this is a fallacy, and it is this assumption that keeps one on a 'path'. Paths are for those who would rather seek than find. As Gangaji's teacher says, it's seeking that prevents one from finding. Once you wake up you will recognize how 'waking up' is conveyed in other ways - you will recognize what's crap and what's authentic.

Gangaji and ET are great complements to eachother. I would also recommend investigating Adyashanti and John Wheeler.

kiki
kiki

Return to Personal Experiences