Eckhart's Touch

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Eckhart's Touch

Postby be-lank » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:45 pm

After reading about Marmalade’s experience with the aliveness in her body, an experience I had with Eckhart came to mind. He was having a “meditation” and a book signing in Chicago last year, which I attended.

I can’t even go into Him- or I’ll melt right here, and I have chores to do today!

The scene- it’s a darkened theater and he is sitting with his crew around him and signing books. I was standing in line and thought how grueling that must be for him to have to sign all these books.
I decided I would not have him sign my book, but maybe just ask to hold his hand. (Not thinking that this may be even more grueling for him! He has health concerns and touching people’s hands is not a good idea. Yeah, Yeah I can be a rescuer! But at the time I didn’t take my concern for him that far. I thought I was doing him a service.)

The closer I got to him the harder and louder my heart was beating. It was as if I was a teenager meeting my favorite rock star. I thought it was ridiculous- an old lady like me an all! But that’s what happened. It was a mix of excitement, desire and fear. Your basic ego ingredients.

When I finally stood before him the whole scene was surreal. I was probably in shock! Eckhart did not seem real- or rather, he had a fluid transparency to him that lended itself to not seeming real- solid.

By this time I was thoroughly familiar with the PON. I had watched tons of tapes, and audios, and even transcribed the book! (There may be somewhat of a super achiever there!) I had also been practicing the portals diligently for several years, and space consciousness had been realized. But at that point, standing before a Master, I was just a shy kid trying to be brave- though I was aware of this.

The biggest distraction was all the people. I am a hermit by nature and live in the woods, and frankly people just freak me out! There was this line behind me and I felt that I needed to move on quickly.
If it were just Eckhart and I- this self of mine could have just died right there and then!

But I digress… I told Eckhart that I didn’t want him to sign my book but that I would like to hold his hand. This was embarrassing. I felt like I was breaking the rules. And probably was!

I think I kicked at the ground and almost put my thumb in my mouth as I just stood there in a vulnerable, blank state.

During this collapse of all thought, Eckhart, deep in the body, had been moving his arm upon the table so that his hand could reach mine. But I did not see it. (But in my defense, it was dark!) I just kept looking at nothing. No emotions either.

Finally I saw a jerky movement of an arm, his arm, and his hand.
So I then knew what I was supposed to do, take his hand. I had even forgotten what I had asked for!

Like a friend, an equal, I got “strong” then, and my hand clasped his hand as it would anyone else’s. A strong- but not too strong, palms touching- handshake. A good, solid handshake. And I said, “You’re great.” Pause. “I love you.” Long Pause. “It’s working!” Then I let go and almost ran away! But I looked over my shoulder at Eckhart who liked the last thing I said and shook his head up and down in a “Yes.” And “That’s what counts.”

These things that I said just came up. As if I had to say something because that is how we are trained. Instead of just looking at Eckhart and holding his hand and being silent, I felt I had to say something. It was awkward, the whole scene. And yet there was beauty and joy underneath the thinker.

That’s the story, but what this is about is Eckhart’s touch. And the aliveness in the body.

When I shook his hand- the way “you’re suppose to shake hands”,
Eckhart did not shake my hand back. His fingers and his hand were lifeless! My hand was the only hand doing the holding and mild shaking. Then the shaking stopped and I just held his hand. It was the worst handshake I’ve ever had! Pitiful. Beyond limp. Just a lump of flesh.

But as I continued to hold his hand, and spout off words now and then, I was aware that my hand felt like it was being held- but in a different way. I started paying attention to his hand and to my hand while all of this outer stuff was going on. As if time had stopped.

A strong sensation developed in the palm of my hand. It felt like power, maybe electric power, maybe even hot, but definitely there. It was as strong as using muscles in a handshake, but he was not using muscles. He was not using the physical body or the hand. He was using the aliveness in his body, the aliveness that he is (that all are) and that aliveness was so powerful that it came through his hand to mine as if he Was actually shaking my hand and using muscles.

I have never felt anything like it. And when I realized what was going on it became the best handshake I’ve ever had! This was a Being-shake! Only no shaking. Truly Being held. But not held the way the mind knows. Held as Being holds. Which isn’t a holding but an intense yet gentle embrace.

What amazed me was how strong and powerful it was. Imagine lying your hand into someone else’s, completely relaxed, and emitting such aliveness that the other person felt that aliveness passing through your palm and into theirs. And feeling it strongly as if you had put your hand on an electrical charged item, but not so that it would hurt or burn. It honestly felt similar to an electric current. No pain, but very intense.

After this experience I thought of never washing my hand again!
It was tremendous. But it was not the only highlight that night. I also witnessed Eckhart like I had never seen him before. 15 seconds maybe. Beyond the speaker. Aliveness itself. “Behold God!” But one story on Eckhart now and then is all I can manage. Otherwise I’ll just fall on the floor, helpless, reeling, babbling, “God is all there is!” (Again!)
be-lank

Postby summer » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:36 am

Hi be-lank,
I really enjoyed reading your story. I wonder how many of us who post here have actually been with Eckhart and held his hand? I have never met him myself, and loved reading your very honest description of all the emotions and impressions you experienced that day.

I can only imagine what it would be like for me. And of course that is just mind stuff. :(

You mentioned that there was a meditation as well as the book signing that evening. If you are up to sharing that with us, I would love to hear what that was like.
summer

Postby be-lank » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:56 pm

Dear Summer, (Great name!)

I enjoyed your response. I will write back as soon as I can.

Today is cold, rainy, cloudy. Summer sounds nice right now!
be-lank

Postby be-lank » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:21 pm

Okay Summer. But I’m going to keep this as simple and brief as possible. Otherwise we’ll be here all day long!
Remember this is a personal account and experience.
It is not what is important.
….

It’s night, rough part of Chicago town, small old theater.
With my sister. I can’t believe that they would have booked this Master in such a place. (Though somehow it fits.)
Walk into theater- assaulted by tons of incense. Get good seats right up front.
Eckhart’s companion Kim sits in the seat on the stage and checks his microphone. She is attractive, but looks older than I thought and this appeases me somewhat.
It’s dark in the theater, spotlight on the chair.
The wait is maybe 20-30 minutes before he comes out.
During that time I stretch a lot and move around anticipating being still and being guided in a meditation for an hour.
Finally Eckhart comes out and he is wearing a knit vest instead of his usual heavenly attire. I don’t like it.
But seeing Eckhart is all that matters to me.
I’m in love, what can I say?

There is silence and then Eckhart speaks.
I am very familiar with his talks and he says essentially the same thing in all talks. (Something about the Now!)
Since I do not have to listen to every word, as I know his words so well, I just lean into his voice and the silence and it’s nice.
But I am ready for meditation at any time.
An hour later, guess what?
Eckhart says, “This is the meditation.”

Huh??

He was pointing out that the idea of meditation is just an idea.
And that formal meditation itself is not it. But that Presence is it.
And Eckhart is Presence! Eckhart is beyond the mind- beyond time.
Pure Consciousness. The same One consciousness that we are, only fully realized in the form of Eckhart.
That is why I put “meditation” in quotations- as it really wasn’t a meditation that one thinks of.

The really special part came as they were setting up a place for Eckhart to sign the books. This was a transition period and Eckhart was on stage but had walked across the stage some. The first two rows of people were leaving their seats to line up for their books to be signed. Eckhart was helped down to a temporary seat.
It is then that time stood still, for the rows in front were empty now and Eckhart was sitting directly in front of me- but a fair distance away. And that’s when I really saw him- like I never have before.

How can I describe this? How do you describe God? He looked like a young holy child- vulnerable, innocent, pure, divine, so precious it stops your breath. And anything ever witnessed like this, is that, is It! It was the opposite of the way the mind pictures God- big, authoritarian, parental, judgmental, controlling etc.

I was overwhelmed by the beauty of what I saw. And what I saw was not new- I had seen this beauty often in babies, young children and animals, and even plant life. It’s so Awesome that it brings you to your knees. So magnificent that you beg to die. But I have never seen this in a grown person before, in a surrendered being before, and it was even more profound.

As I was witnessing the glory of this moment- Eckhart and I were looking at each other. Just looking. Just space. And then “He’s so beautiful” would come. Then space. Then “Innocence” would come.
Next he looked at my sister. Then back at me. This whole thing lasted 10-15 seconds- but a whole new world was in that time!
(Later my sister said that she saw exactly what I had seen in Eckhart.)

Basically Summer, the dude knocked my socks off!

Did something come to you out of the story? Occasionally I enjoy sharing stories, but I like to keep it to a minimum.

Do you have The Power of Now on video or DVD? I highly recommend them. Eckhart is the same on the tapes as he is in person. But he is even thinner in person, and his body is very stooped over.
I have dozens of tapes and have watched them hundred of times. I just love them. It’s having Eckhart in your own house! And very beneficial. There are also audio tapes and CD’s that are great too. Presence comes through all these mediums, as well as his books.

Though you would like to meet him, remember that in truth, as Eckhart says, when you come to meet him, you are coming to meet your Self. The real Self. The One Self.
And if I’ve seen him- You’ve seen him. We’re all connected!
There’s only One, playing different roles.

When Presence emerges and becomes strong, then we are meeting
Eckhart even if hundreds of miles away from “him”.
It is this One Divine Self- Consciousness, Presence that is who we all are, and is within our selves and we do not need to see a Master in person to meet the Master.
Yes, in the presence of a Master--- Wow! But the main link to Presence, to a Master, is within. Everyone is the Master that Eckhart is! It’s just that most have not realized it yet- but are realizing it more and more.

Eckhart is not important. Knowing who we are beyond form is important. And The Master is helping us with this.
…..

I have a comment about your frowny face after you mentioned, “mind stuff”. I noticed a tendency in this site for people to feel that mind-stuff, thought- is bad. There is a resistance here to mind stuff. But that resistance Is mind stuff. The mind is fine, thought is fine, even getting lost in it is fine. The only important thing is being aware of it. Noticing it. You can’t stay lost for long with an inner awareness that is often watching the show.

All these letters are thoughts. The thought that identification with thought is bad is thought. The key is allowing it to be if it is. “My mind is racing now, my heart is beating hard, my stomach is in knots- how bout that?” Like Eckhart often says, “Don’t take your mind too seriously.”

This letter is the self, my self. But every word I write I am aware of it. My ego is not dead. But my awareness is strong. Instead of fighting the ego I let it play sometimes. And other times, it has to shut-up! Be still. But the awareness that Is here is always still even while my ego is doing its thing. The self is expressing within spaciousness. That’s all.

There is a seriousness of how we are supposed to be and act that in itself is problematic. In other words, let’s lighten up! Let’s ease up on our “self”, otherwise the very thing we want, less self, becomes a bigger self by trying to be perfect- when we already are in Reality! In God! The One and Only.

Who is more playful than God? God is an autumn weed dancing in the wind. So gentle and playful that our minds are too dense to perceive it. The mind is heavy, serious business. While God is light and free and merry. Let’s play more! Dance more! Live!

And let’s fall and stumble and make mistakes. And lets learn that there are no mistakes, as God is all there is!
be-lank

Postby summer » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:35 pm

Hi be-lank,
thanks for sharing your story. It sounds like it was quite an experience. Actually, I had an opportunity to see Eckhart, and for many of the reasons that you describe, I declined. Why go through all of that to experience a presence that is always here?
And still, I enjoy hearing about other people's experiences and getting to know them better.

Why I was curious about the "meditation" was that the whole notion of Eckhart leading a meditation sounded a little surprising. As he often mentions, listening itself is a meditation.

I really enjoy reading all of your insights. It is very easy for the mind to remember words like "presence" and "now" and "pain body" etc. And make it all into another "teaching" or belief system.

In other words, let’s lighten up! Let’s ease up on our “self”, otherwise the very thing we want, less self, becomes a bigger self by trying to be perfect- when we already are in Reality! In God! The One and Only.
summer

Postby phil » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:10 am

be-lank wrote:I have a comment about your frowny face after you mentioned, “mind stuff”. I noticed a tendency in this site for people to feel that mind-stuff, thought- is bad. There is a resistance here to mind stuff. But that resistance Is mind stuff. The mind is fine, thought is fine, even getting lost in it is fine. The only important thing is being aware of it. Noticing it. You can’t stay lost for long with an inner awareness that is often watching the show.

All these letters are thoughts. The thought that identification with thought is bad is thought. The key is allowing it to be if it is. “My mind is racing now, my heart is beating hard, my stomach is in knots- how bout that?” Like Eckhart often says, “Don’t take your mind too seriously.”

This letter is the self, my self. But every word I write I am aware of it. My ego is not dead. But my awareness is strong. Instead of fighting the ego I let it play sometimes. And other times, it has to shut-up! Be still. But the awareness that Is here is always still even while my ego is doing its thing. The self is expressing within spaciousness. That’s all.

There is a seriousness of how we are supposed to be and act that in itself is problematic. In other words, let’s lighten up! Let’s ease up on our “self”, otherwise the very thing we want, less self, becomes a bigger self by trying to be perfect- when we already are in Reality! In God! The One and Only.

Who is more playful than God? God is an autumn weed dancing in the wind. So gentle and playful that our minds are too dense to perceive it. The mind is heavy, serious business. While God is light and free and merry. Let’s play more! Dance more! Live!

And let’s fall and stumble and make mistakes. And lets learn that there are no mistakes, as God is all there is!

This is fantastic be-lank. Wow, well said, well said. Well said.

How to take one's evolution seriously, but also not seriously, at the same time?

Big one for me, thanks for expressing it!

be-lank wrote: I am a hermit by nature and live in the woods, and frankly people just freak me out!

Ha! This one too! We've all gone squirrely! :-)
phil

Postby be-lank » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:59 am

Phil PHIL!

What a kindred spirit! I’ve read many of your posts, and agree with what you say. And for you to be able to connect with those stories- that’s Wow!

I thank you so for being who you are, and for posting here.
With your awareness, your words are a big “Yes.” Don’t ever hesitate- keep’m coming! You’re a great friend.

There are those who can listen.
Obviously you are one of them!

(Pardon me but my cat is presently clawing my leg.
I must listen! Obey. Something!)
be-lank

Postby phil » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:59 am

Be-lank, you mentioned that you have hermit tendencies and that "people freak you out".

This fellow squirrely hermit wonders if you might have experienced this.

I find that as I get older, I gradually become more sensitive, like an aging bottle of wine.

This is great in regards to nature, because it seems to get ever easier to tune in to the beauty and peace available there.

On the other hand, I find I no longer really enjoy group gatherings, such as restaurants, concerts etc, ie. any building jammed with people. I can do it when necessary, no problem, but I don't enjoy it. Dulling my mind with a few beers does help. :-)

I don't have a handy explanation for this. But it feels as if my internal radio receiver is now capable of picking up the background radiation insanity emanating from a mass of human minds, and it triggers my own insanity. It's a form of claustrophobia I guess.

Small gatherings, or one on one, no problem.

Not really a problem that needs solving, as my life does not require such events. Nonetheless, my curiosity wonders what's happening.

If this is not relevant to your form of hermithood, please ignore and thanks for listening.
phil

Postby be-lank » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:19 am

"Small gatherings, or one on one, no problem." Gee Phil, you're way ahead of me!

I noted your observations and Yes to them. I have some things to share with you about this. It looks like we're close to the same age.
You know. Old!

I have one letter to you, Spiritual. (Have fun!)
I'll address this one- to be taken with no seriousness- on the personal.

On this matter- I observed that I clicked with you right off.
At frist I thought it was on the spiritual. And maybe so. But I am wondering if it's also that we are of "My Gggggeneration". (You were hip weren't you!)

Who Knows? It was an amusing idea.

I'll reply on your topic- later- it will be Now!
be-lank

Return to Personal Experiences