Discovering that your essence does not age with the form

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
Goldenflutist

Discovering that your essence does not age with the form

Post by Goldenflutist » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:57 am

I was listening to ET’s book Living a Life of Inner Peace and he was pointing to the reality of the agelessness of the inner formless self. It got me thinking about comments I have heard from old individuals about feeling that “something” inside of them doesn’t relate to their chronological age. I began to notice that my reaction to things that are not tied to an ego, like plants and animals is much the same as it was when I was a child. The story of my life has changed over the years, but the “I” inside of me has not. This was a powerful insight, and it has made stop looking at people and judging them according to their age and form structure. I have begun to see people as an extension of my formless essence. It is miraculous to be able to look past the form and see the essence of every person. Has anyone else had this experience of knowing that your true self doesn’t go along with your chronological age?
A dog's eyes reflect the innocence and beauty of nature.

kiki

Post by kiki » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:17 am

Goldenflutist wrote:Has anyone else had this experience of knowing that your true self doesn’t go along with your chronological age?
Yes; I had a sense when very young that there was "something" that was "me" always, but I just didn't know what it was. I sensed that since "me" never changed that it didn't have anything to do with the aging process. That sense was carried with me throughout those long years of searching but I was so distracted by the search that I didn't recognize its significance.

While peering through these eyes now, there is a definite sense of timelessness about "me" that is even stronger, but there are times that I am startled by what is gazing back at me while looking in a mirror, especially now that the hair is mostly gone and what's left is grey - "Who is that guy, anyway? It sure isn't me. That guy looks old but "I" am forever ageless" - that is definitely felt.

Thanks for starting a good thread topic.

Goldenflutist

Good words

Post by Goldenflutist » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:08 am

Thank you Kiki for sharing your feelings so well. I have heard that same phrase from several people about looking in the mirror and not seeing the same person they felt they were inside. This to me is the most convincing reality of the timeless essence in all of us. Have you been able to look past that in others and sense their essence and finding the form takes a back seat to what you are now looking at? Just curious, and thank you for being such a champion for the cause. I never honestly see what is really there when I look in a mirror. That is why I am always shocked when I see a picture of myself. I never could figure that one out.
I don't expect someone younger, just someone different.

suraj

Post by suraj » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:51 am

Looking in front of the mirror - Ah!
Most of the times , I'm in a hurry and just comb my hair and rush to work. But sometimes , when there is no body at home and there is perfect stillness , I gaze at the mirror and a strange sense of 'fear' appears. 'Who is the one in the mirror?' , 'Who is looking at whom?' . Almost always , my mind completely stops . But fear grows and grows until I turn away from the mirror and can't look any longer.
And there is another question which has started coming up recently - WHERE am I? . Not in the physical sense as to where my body is , but where is the 'I' which thinks , which has a life story . I close my eyes and cannot find it.
I AM

kiki

Post by kiki » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:55 am

Have you been able to look past that in others and sense their essence and finding the form takes a back seat to what you are now looking at?
Yes, that happens. On the surface there is "interaction" as before, but presence embraces it all - no me, no other - just presence. No "my" presence, no "their" presence - just the one presence, and dancing inside this presence is the appearance of "our" forms.

kiki

Post by kiki » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:59 am

suraj wrote:And there is another question which has started coming up recently - WHERE am I? . Not in the physical sense as to where my body is , but where is the 'I' which thinks , which has a life story . I close my eyes and cannot find it.
Ah, yes. Where indeed? Beautiful! As for the fear, stare it in the face - it will vanish too.

Goldenflutist

Pretty profound

Post by Goldenflutist » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:04 am

suraj wrote:Looking in front of the mirror - Ah!
Most of the times , I'm in a hurry and just comb my hair and rush to work. But sometimes , when there is no body at home and there is perfect stillness , I gaze at the mirror and a strange sense of 'fear' appears. 'Who is the one in the mirror?' , 'Who is looking at whom?' . Almost always , my mind completely stops . But fear grows and grows until I turn away from the mirror and can't look any longer.
And there is another question which has started coming up recently - WHERE am I? . Not in the physical sense as to where my body is , but where is the 'I' which thinks , which has a life story . I close my eyes and cannot find it.
That is very revealing suraj. I would love to have some feedback on this one. Just one more reality that there is a formless being, but why sometimes we do not want to connect with the form is a mystery. I am lost on this one, but thank you so much for sharing this with us. AWESOME.

proudlybeing

welcome Dutch

Post by proudlybeing » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:59 am

Welcome aboard Dutch :) :) !!!!!

(sorry this will confuse most people !!!)
My heart (and being) felt thanks to the force(es) than bring me to share this site and journey with you all.

Ives

Post by Ives » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:21 pm

I realised recently that the face I see in the mirror is not me.
I am consciousness travelling for a while in this vehicle.
And the more attached I am to it, the unhappier I am.

mikel

Post by mikel » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:58 pm

The looking in the mirror experience for some people namely those who suffer from depersonalization, leaves them very anxious and afraid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization

There are countless websites/Forums out there dedicated to depersonalization and anxiety, I've been through alot of them and alot of people are suffering including a suprising amount of teenagers. I feel libertation is just a step away for many.

The good that ET could do here is in helping people to get in touch with who(presence/awareness) is the witness to these feelings of Fragmentation/loss of self, change in reality etc.

Once that awareness is realised it may become the primary and the condition becomes secondry, the condition can be seen as a partial collapse of ego which is holding on as it is being eroded.

I had an idea about posting info on ET on these sites and how it might help with depersonalization and anxiety, but I am also conscious of the fact that people may need to find their own way to ET or other ways that may come.

Goldenflutist

Don't see the connection on my end

Post by Goldenflutist » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:48 pm

I read the article on depersonalization and it has nothing to do with what I was speaking about. I don't feel like life is a movie etc. The feelings that I am talking about is the aging form does not match the ageless being. Below is part of the article. I don't think the people responding so far fall into that type of experience. Of course I cannot speak for them. This sounds like something that would require medical intervention.

The person experiencing the disorder may feel as though life is a dream or an illusion. Often, this results in very high anxiety levels, which further increase the feelings of "fakeness." It is in a sense, a "feedback loop" that amplifies itself.

eseward

Re: Discovering that your essence does not age with the form

Post by eseward » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:05 pm

Goldenflutist wrote:Has anyone else had this experience of knowing that your true self doesn’t go along with your chronological age?
Yes, same for me. And my mother's been saying this to me for decades: now 80, she still feels inside like that person she once was as a teenager.

Goldenflutist

thanks for feedback

Post by Goldenflutist » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:12 pm

Thanks for responding eseward. I think this might be universal since our timeless essence does not show signs of age like the physcial form.

mikel

Post by mikel » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:55 pm

Hi Golden flutist, appologies if I got off the beaten track, I was posting in reference to Suraj's comment.
I gaze at the mirror and a strange sense of 'fear' appears. 'Who is the one in the mirror?' , 'Who is looking at whom?'. Almost always , my mind completely stops . But fear grows and grows until I turn away from the mirror and can't look any longer.
I have suffered brief periods of depersonalization and Suraj's comments are part of how I felt.

Depersonalization can often occur after strong anxiety attacks and it is noted as a side effect. I agree medication can be used to treat these feelings and the anxiety also but I personally feel ETs teachings could be alot more helpful to people ... to me a person with anxiety, depersonalization can be very close to awakening given the right guidance.

eseward

Post by eseward » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:12 pm

mikel, FWIW, what you're saying makes sense to me. :)