More Thoughts or Less Thoughts

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
weichen

More Thoughts or Less Thoughts

Post by weichen » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:02 pm

When a person is at the grip of the mind, he is thinking, but he is not having many thoughts. He is having thoughts in a tiny area such as I hate my father for leaving us when I was four, or when will I be able to afford my own house if I keep making such a low salary.

Eckhart has a lot of thoughts, some hundreds of thousands of thoughts were written down in the form of his new book "A New Earth".

In a way, having many new different thoughts is a sign of free flowing, a sign of enlightenment.

kenognosis

Post by kenognosis » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:41 am

Lesser the identification with thoughts in particular, greater the chance of "new" thoughts emerging into awareness, sounds true. Form the glimpses I've had, enlightenment seems to bring a presence of all thoughts and identification with none quality to it. This does not, however, exclude identification with thinking in general. Can you picture the "I think, therefore I am" statement as coming from a single-minded person? That state of mind yes, surely, but not the statement itself... that must belong to someone who thinks new thoughts with everyday passing, otherwise it would've been more specific.
My point is, enlightenment may bring new, different thoughts into awareness, but new and different thoughts of their own do not necessarily point to enlightenment. Most of the time they point to just another "beautiful mind"...
Who?

Dongle

Post by Dongle » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:58 pm

My point is, enlightenment may bring new, different thoughts into awareness, but new and different thoughts of their own do not necessarily point to enlightenment. Most of the time they point to just another "beautiful mind"
Identification with thought, or mind, or personality structures determines what one thinks about, a "beautiful mind", cannot really have new thoughts, since each thought is a representation of his or her identification. New thoughts would need to be a part of his or her identification, and consequently would not be new. I use the analogy of a comfort zone, some time ago I had a friend who told me he has no comfort zone, because he is always moving around, always changing, his comfort zone. The subtle ego techniques ET talks about, such as identification with openness, or awareness, and so on, these exclude such openness from our lives. In the same way no thought can be 'new' if we identify with seeking them.

Seancho

Post by Seancho » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:13 pm

Id say that its not more thoughts or less thoughts, but what is your relationship to your thoughts?

We tend to believe our thoughts. We cherish our thoughts, defend out thoughts, kill for our thoughts, die for our thoughts. The idea of losing our thoughts terrifies us. We consider our thoughts real, like a child hiding his eyes from a scary movie playing on a television screen. We are so fascinated by and addicted to the creative power of the mind, we confuse the mental pictures and emotions with our real life.

ET and others seem to be saying that there is another way to relate to thought, and that's to see thought as an illusion, or a dream. Not real.

The life that we think we are living is not real. We are not who we think we are.

Is it possible to quit believing in your thoughts and all the feelings it generates?

Can we stop believing in the fear-illusion of the mind?
If you stop believing in fear, is it still scary?

weichen

Post by weichen » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:59 pm

Id say that its not more thoughts or less thoughts, but what is your relationship to your thoughts?
If one person hold one single thought, it is dominating and very emotional. If one person experiences thousands of thoughts, each thought is likely to be gentle, not taken too seriously.

Number of thoughts, to certain extent, reflect the relationship with the thoughts.