the 3 bodies - something interesting for you

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
astaroth

the 3 bodies - something interesting for you

Post by astaroth » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:50 pm

Hi!

There's something I remembered this morning. It's taken from the teachings of G.I. Gurjieff, if you know his name.

He spoke about the "the bodies" within humans. It's very similar to the two bodies, ET speaks about, the emotional body and the mind body. ET also said for most men it's more difficult to free from mind, for woman from the painbody (the old negative energy collected of the emotional body).

Gurdjieff said, there are three:
The mind, the emotions and the instinctive body - our body's intelligence. This instincitve body we use, for example, when driving a car. It's impossible to think about how to drive a car; we just do it. It happens through us. He also said the the mind's energy is the slowest one, works with the crassest particles (correct english?), the emotional is faster and more subtle and the instinctive body's s the fastest which works with the finest particles.
When thinking about the car-driving-example, I can say he was right.

He also said there are three different kind of people, referring to the three bodies, who have different "missions to complete" on their way of "evolution", how Gurjieff calls it.

There are the people using mostly their mind, thinking a lot before doing something, acting out of their head.
The emotional people are driven mostly by the emotions within them.
The body people... that's more difficult and i must say, I'm not sure if I understand exactly what the "body people" are about. I think it's the kind of people who often use their body or "doing something", often physically, when facing problems. But they have something like natural grace in their movings and are, for example, good dancers.

I post this just because of one reason: These three bodies are connected and "we" are this connection. Changes in one body must reflect in the others ones.
I thought some time ago "Where do these movings come from?" what we never planned to do, like, when we are nervous, going with the hand though the hair or something. The energy flowing through us must be flowing in every three of these bodies, also the instinctive body.
There are some instinctive reactions of the body, like crying when facing sorrow or laughing when there's a lot of energy inside us. These reactions are an intelligence that is bigger than our mind (or in Gurdjieff's words: "of finer particles" or "faster").

Gurdjieff also said that a lot of pain is produced when one body tries to do the job of another body, like when the mind is telling the body what to do and what not to do. Or when emotions influence our mind and/or our acting. You can find a lot of other examples...
Just wanted to share this with you...

Nice weekend!
astaroth
...you might remember me from such educational films as "Zen for couch-potatoes - The wisdom of never doing anything" or "Buddha from da hood - Was he a brother?"

suraj

Post by suraj » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:48 pm

Hey, can u tell something more about Gurjieff..I looked around in some websites , but couldn't glean much. Was he something of a esoteric kind ?
I AM

astaroth

Post by astaroth » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:54 pm

He was the first one to bring mystical and esoteric ideas into the west. That was about the time of the first world war.

He knew a lot of things he learned when he was travelling around the world and he had even contact with what - by this times - was "secret knowledge" by a mysterious brotherhood. Nobody today can say where or what exactly it was, what he learnt. I also read that he used to be some kind of "black magician" who decided to use his skills to help others. He always made a big secret of his past, but he appeared in moscow and st. petersburg where her started teaching and soon had a bis fellowship. To his students he appeared like "a king who disguised in normal clothes". Gurdjieff seemed to be a very interesting personality, very full of wisdom, acumen and energy. He also seemed to have some strange skills, like he was able to make people more aware just by touching them or change their mind in different ways.

Gurjieff also spoke about identification and the only tecnique he teaached was the self-remembering and self-oberservation.

I remeber the description of an experiment he did with two of his students. He saw people as divided in their substance and their personality and the abilty of evolution of both areas. What he did was "deleting the personality" of these two guys.
One was suddenly behaving just like a child, confused. He usually appeared to be intelligent and dignified, but during the experiment nothing he usually was interested in, survived. When Gurjieff spoke to him about his strong beliefs in pacifism when talking to people, he just shrugged the shoulders helplessly and confused. asked what he wanted he just answered "some strawberry marmalade".
The other guy usually was like a clown, never serious and a bit strange. But during the experiment he seemed to be very aware and quiet. The others felt the presence and energy he was suddenly beaming. When the others said about the first man that he seemed to have fallen asleep he answered: "I, for myself, have awakaned."
Gurjieff never explained this. Many of his teachings seemed strange and impossible to understand, but today a lot of people think that this was Gurjieff's method. He didn't want to give the mind something "solid" to be fall asleep about. He worte a book in which he spend a lot of effort to make it hard to understand for the mind. When some of his studens understood passages, he changed them.

Nobody was able to foresee what he was doing next and his behaviour was very unusual.
These all are descriptions by a man who, when he wrote them down, had seen what you can call the "doubts about Gurdjieff"

For example he loved to make fun of people. This was his game. He said that animals have a natural "drive to play" and that humans also should play every day.
He drove with his car full speed all the time and had a lot of car accidents. During one accident (when he was very, very old) he freeded himself from the damaged car and the policeman which arrived there later said that it had been completely impossible that he was able to do this, because of his very heavy hurts.
He was very loud and funny, nobody could oversee him and he loved to drink.
But under the surface he was always having full control. For example he could get very, very angry and no one could resist him when that happened. But they also felt that it was neither an uncontrolled not a "played" anger. And a lot of things he did, which seemed at first "evil" or even stupid appeared after some time as of great wisom and kindness towards people.
Maybe he just wanted to keep people from blindly believing and admiring him, who knows?

Nobody could or can understand Gurdjieff.

Although I'm not sure if Gurdjieff was really enlightened or of all of his teachings were, after all, just games of the ego - and Gurdjieff himself was the biggest and powerfullest ego of all.

Maybe his students weren't able to see what was behind his unusal ways of teaching - or his teachings were just wrong. I don't know.
Many also believe that he didn't teach everything and that he took the most important things with him in his grave.

If you're interested in his teachings, read "In search of the miracolous" by P.D. Ouspensky, his most famous student. Or if you're interested in his person, read "A childhodd with Gurdjieff" by Fritz Peters. Both very interesting. Or read "All and everything - Beelzebub's tales to his grandson" this is the book hard to read, I mentioned.
But be careful with his teachings!

I hope, you liked this nice story about an very extraordinary guy :wink:

astaroth
...you might remember me from such educational films as "Zen for couch-potatoes - The wisdom of never doing anything" or "Buddha from da hood - Was he a brother?"

suraj

Post by suraj » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:19 am

Thanks astaroth for the info.
I think the benign ET is enough for me :)
I AM