The momentum of thought

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
WhoAmI

Re: The momentum of thought

Post by WhoAmI » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:39 pm

Larry,

It's great to have your insight.
You sometimes put things in a way that strikes a deep chord within me.

Your posts are much appreciated, especially in the warm tone you convey through them.
I am really happy you're here.

Thanks,
WhoAmI

shappy

Post by shappy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:57 am

Larryfroot wrote:For me true paths leading to the end of suffering is the way to go...to establish a clear and sustained path between this wonderful freedom inside and the messiness of the egoic world around me...or rather, my egoic world around me. And also to be able to realise this path in order to make it repeatable and sustained. Not just a flash in the pan that happened from a broad and well documented phenomena of overwhelming suffering destroying the structures that gave rise to it. I mean, one cannot prescribe total and utter disaster pills to the spiritual seeker. That would be mean.
Have you created this path and are applying it, or is this something you are working towards? Is this path something that you wish to prescribe to spiritual seekers or is it for you alone? Can you describe this path?
Larryfroot wrote:So my bothering with the wordiness is in the spirit of the fourth noble truth, and also to be able to communicate a 'how to' without describing a set of conditions that happen to be quite particular to my experience of awakening.
Can you give a practical description of this 'how-to'? Or an example of what you mean? I'm a little lost.
Larryfroot wrote:However, to describe clear, workable and sustainable methods based on an experience of the universe and 'self' as it actually is rather than how we think it to be is invaluable if we wish to benefit ourselves and others.
Wow, you really seem to have it together. Please give an example of a method that you would prescibe. Actually, I need a little help... maybe you could prescribe one to me?
Larryfroot wrote:But some thinking, some intellectual processing of the information is (for the most part) necessary before-hand. And anyone who has ever read a book on spirituality and mysticsm has done exactly that.
Yes, I agree. I have read Tolle's A New Earth and there was a lot of thinking going on about the ego and the pain-body. A lot of that had to sort itself out. Since then I haven't read any other book but I have watched many videos on YouTube. In my experience, there comes a point when any more information stops being useful and starts becoming counter-productive mind-clutter.

Anyway, all this sounds very complicated. And I don't think it has to be... at all. There is only one thing... truth. And the incredible thing is that we all know what it is but we are afraid of it. But the fear comes from the mind (it is a fabrication) and this has to be understood. Basically, the ego resists - that is its job. Wanting is resisting "what is" because your ego is implying that "what is" is not enough. Needing is resisting as well for similar reasons. There really is not much more to it than that. I'm living proof that there really isn't much more to it than that. In fact, I bet that if you ask anyone who knows their true nature (and are beginning to embody it) how they "did it", they'll tell you something very similar. Many will have a lot of detours along the way but all end up in the same place. The path may be long and winding or it may be direct.

Larryfroot

Post by Larryfroot » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:44 am

Hello Shappy,

Firstly thank you for your interest which is really helping me to clarify my own 'stuff' to me, if not for anyone else! I hope you don't mind, but I am making a reply to your post in another thread as someone might then be feeling more able to respond to cephalon's original post which might contain just what cephalon needs. It will be called 'a new thread' (just in the highly unlikely case there is a sudden avalanche of threads on the board!). Thank you very much for your indulgence on this one.
Many a mickle muches a markle.

tikey

Post by tikey » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:59 pm

cephalon wrote:Hello again.

I find that when I'm reading or listening to eckhart tolle or similar material, i'm usually able to get into a relaxed present state of allowing, but after i stop, unless i concentrate really hard I often get swept up in the momentum of meaningless thoughts bouncing around in my head trying to distract me, and then usually spend the rest of the day trying to get to the next moment or find something to occupy my unconscious need for more. How do you guys manage to be present during the day?
Hey I have that sometimes when I listen to Eckhart for too long and then thinking about of what he said just can't stop and it goes and goes and goes forever.
You know, there were once a hammer thrower(I'm not a good at english so I don't know how should i call this - it's kind of sportsman, anyway:) he had only
one chance to throw the hammer on the olympics.So before the championship everyday he went out on the pitch, concentrated to te maximum and threw it
only once and the go away. He won the olympics. So my advice for you is like that:don't listen too much of Eckhart everyday, cause it will be bouncing in
your head, and you will not find peace. If you already know what your recordings contain, concentrate a bit and ask yourself:what would I like to listen to NOW?
And listen to it only ONCE, but with FULL ATTENTION so that after a listening you start LIVING that what was said rather than THINKING about that.
Does that have any sense to you?
Im just a cloudless sky :)

blueviceroy

Post by blueviceroy » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:24 am

Tikey I like your post , it must be very good advice ,lol.

Really it is and I'm glad you put that forth . Once you take it in it has done all it can do repeating it won't bring more.

You must trust inner self with it and grow into what you really are independent of OUTSIDE

Eckhart points at the thing you are , the rest is entirely up to the individual , only newcomers need the books and videos , after being shown the way , we need to become aware of the actuallity of our self ,our consiousness, our spirit, whatever you want to call it.

The only hinderence is lacking enough love to allow ourself to feel worthy of using this insight indepentently.

If we are to acheive full potential we must let go of the guiding hand and walk on our own and fully experience our existence as it meant to be for US not the way it is for our "teachers"

Nourish your inner self with love and attention each day and it will do the rest effortlessly.

May your freedom be swift in coming