Drugs and spiritual experiences

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
spikyface

Drugs and spiritual experiences

Post by spikyface » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:05 pm

Hello there

Ninjin posted a video a while ago about the Kogi http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... 872#p21872

One of the things mentioned during the video was a drug called Ayahuasca, a powerful psychoactive concoction that people use to go on spiritual journeys

A friend of mine lived in Columbia for a while and took this drug unwittingly and went on a trip so powerful it changed her life (she settled down, stopped travelling, got a steady job, etc.)

The strange thing is, her experience with Ayahuasca was very similar to my own experience with Amsterdam's finest

There was a feeling of connectedness with all other life, a tremendous sense of warmth and love, everything was a nimbus of energy that radiated light

Maybe the mind was sent to sleep and only consciousness remained awake?

Perhaps there's more to this ancient practice than I previously thought

Thoughts? Comments? Opinions? Onions?
Do not take anyone as an authority on what you are. Ultimately all the answers lie within

tikey

Re: Drugs and spiritual experiences

Post by tikey » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:43 pm

yeah thats why I fell in a depression after I stopped using drugs, because I felt that without them I do not have such a connectedness...
... and that's why I started my spiritual practices and somehow this connectedness is getting better...
Im just a cloudless sky :)

spikyface

Post by spikyface » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:15 am

Interesting, did you feel this connectedness everytime you took a particular drug or was it more or less random?
Do not take anyone as an authority on what you are. Ultimately all the answers lie within

weopposedeception

Post by weopposedeception » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:08 am

Ayahuasca is a very powerful drug. Not all the user experiences are pleasant, to say the least. The forum Noble Realms has some reports of some who have used it. David Icke wote a book about his experience (Tales from the Time Loop).
I used drugs in an attempt to escape the ego or to quiet it down. It works. Unfortunately the ego comes back even stronger and then there is the problem of addiction or dependency. The big lie is that the drug provides something that is not already present within us.
During the early days of LSD there was some talk of using it during therapy as it was reported to cause the temporary dissolution of the ego and many users had spiritual experiences.

tikey

Post by tikey » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:04 pm

I had this connectedness almost everytime I smoked marihuana... ok?
Im just a cloudless sky :)

renaissance

Post by renaissance » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:28 pm

Drugs, and other addictive substances (alcohol, food, television, etc.) get used as a means to block out your feelings/emotions. It's saying, "I don't fully accept myself in this present moment, so I will go somewhere else."

Feelings can be scary or uncomfortable (or almost undetectable in my case). It's much easier to escape than to accept them.
-Renaissance

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:13 pm

I tried Magic Mushrooms (psilosybian mushrooms) once. The experience was an eyeopener for me. During the whole trip, the body acted by itself. It walked around and talked all by itself. And I was just sitting inside watching everything. Observing everything that happened. Afterwards I've understood that this was in fact a spritual experience, though I did not understand it then.
But this experience brought my attention to spirituality for sure. It was after this experience that I came in contact with The Power of Now. So, I can honestly say that I am glad that I tried the mushrooms, even though some things that happened was a bit unpleasent.

Kutso
Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that.

astaroth

Post by astaroth » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:19 am

I'd like to add my own 2 cents...

renaissance, I'm sure you have never tried mushrooms, lsd or something. Otherwise you wouldn't say that.
You don't numb anything. You feel everything a lot stronger, also the "bad stuff". That's what these horror trips are about.

I would recommend everybody who has not yet had a direct experience of "something beyond" to try drugs. I'm not speaking about heroine or cocaine or something. That just gives you an instant good feeling. There's nothing real about it. I have my own experiences and can say: What I've felt when I was on magic mushrooms, that was real. It's hard to describe what's going on with you because it's somehow very personal. For one example, I fell in love with the silence, which is always there, but never noticed, on a mushroom trip. For me, the mushrooms never gave me something "extraordinary", only silence. You don't know, you can't explain it, but you feel something real, something what's already there... something you can't fail. After the trip you can't really describe it, because you can't describe it using words or even using thoughts. I understood what it means to be "awake" while everybody around you is caught in a cage. You just wonder what the hell is wrong with all these people, what the hell they are doing sitting around, making these faces.
For example, I was standing outside the door with a friend, smoking a cigarette. We both didn't speak, because it had become all so simple, nothing to speak about. Words become useless, as we once said after a trip. We stood there and I watched a girl I know. I don't remember what exactly she was doing but she also stood there, totally lost in thoughts.
"What are you looking for?" I asked spontaneously. She looked at me because confusedly because - of course - she wasn't looking for anything in particular. The usual human behaviour had just seemed too strange to me. I watched all the people, completely inside their worlds of problems and anxiety and I understood what ET had meant when he had spoken about a "collective mental disorder".
You don't take anything so serious because you somehow know that "nothing matters" as we described it many times. At the first times I couldn't help looking up in gratefulness. It always was like I could breath freely and openly, like my little world had become beyond my "world of problems"

It's not a bad thing. Try it. And take something with you. Something of the magic you feel you can take with you in your "normal" life which will not be exactly the same as before.

From an island which's name I forgot the ancestors said: "If you are ready, the mushroom will show you the truth."

asta
...you might remember me from such educational films as "Zen for couch-potatoes - The wisdom of never doing anything" or "Buddha from da hood - Was he a brother?"

spikyface

Post by spikyface » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:24 am

Some interesting points here

I could never consistantly get that feeling from ganja, wonder why tikey could? Maybe you've just got better stuff in Poland :D

But seriously, I just drove 120 miles and listened to Practicing the Power of Now for the entire motorway part of the journey (the bit that doesn't require much attention)

The feeling, the mental state, the calmness that I get from that is a much more higher state than being drunk or all but the most potent skunk

Ives

Post by Ives » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:49 am

weopposedeception wrote: Unfortunately the ego comes back even stronger.
That is an important point, I think.
Every time you have a psychedelic experience, afterwards you have to come back to your usual way of being.
That can be unpleasant.

They give you glimpses, but... they're just glimpses.

spikyface

Post by spikyface » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:50 am

True but it is MUCh easier to strive towards something if you have a clear idea of what it is

Otherwise there can be a great deal of doubt and uncertainty over whether what you are feeling is real or if it is all in your head

Ives

Post by Ives » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:41 pm

Yes, Ram Dass used to say that he would take acid once a year – to remind himself of his goal. He used the analogy of a traveller trying to get to a far-off city by foot, who every so often goes up onto a hilltop to ensure himself that he is travelling in the right direction. And, seeing the bright and lively lights of the city, to motivate himself to keep going.

All very well and good (side effects apart), but when you get close to the city, you no longer want or need to climb hills. And when you arrive to the city…?

spikyface

Post by spikyface » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:56 pm

And when you arrive to the city…?
... you're home

astaroth

Post by astaroth » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:18 pm

spikeyface, I totally agree with you.

If you don't have a clear idea about what place you want to travel on the psychedelic journey, you might are flushed to a place of pain and confusion. I think it's also worthful to get in touch with the dark side inside yourself, which also can happen. But then you are confronted with this dark side much "closer" and "more real". There is no intellectual way out of it, no "thinking it away", no mental lullabies. This then doesn't work any more. You are feeling it a lot more... hard to say... directly. You can't help looking at it, even if "you" don't want to. The experience is just too real to flee from it by just thinking about something else, for example. But I think it's also a great opportunity to make friends with the beast.

Ives, to me it's exactly the same.

The mushrooms reminded me several times, in times of confusion, how easy it all is, how easily being happens :lol:
How "real" and full of life every moment can be outside the cage of yourself.

Anyone got some for me? :mrgreen:

blessings,
astaroth
...you might remember me from such educational films as "Zen for couch-potatoes - The wisdom of never doing anything" or "Buddha from da hood - Was he a brother?"