Another "pointer"

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
Onceler

Another "pointer"

Post by Onceler » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:14 am

I was driving through Florida last week and kept seeing these road signs that said, "Fines doubled when workers are present"

Hmm...I wondered how they prove presence in traffic court?
Be present, be pleasant.

innerhike

Re: Another "pointer"

Post by innerhike » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:55 am

"Fines doubled when workers are present" to me means that fines are doubled when a worker (or ego who thinks they are the worker) is present. The more ego I have while working, the more the fines. That's the interpretation that arose in me as I read your excellent post.

Another pointer I love and it is commonly found in shop windows all over the US:

"Help wanted. Inquire within". :-)

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:10 am

innerhike wrote: "Help wanted. Inquire within". :-)
I have seen this sign many times, but never got that meaning, good catch!

As long as we are on official signs that have dual meanings, I have another one, but am afraid it is not very spiritial...When I lived in Chicago many years back and rode the El trains, there was a sign on the outside of the cars beside the doors:

"Watch your step and enjoy your trip."
Be present, be pleasant.

innerhike

Post by innerhike » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:18 am

Onceler,

I like that reminder about trips. It is a good one. Question is what kind of trip are they referring to? Ego trip, one fueled by a psychotropic drug, etc.? :-)

While on this subject I must mention the one I find to be real sexy:

"Dangerous Curves Ahead".

Oh yeah, we need to post that one all over the place in my case. I seem them dangerous curves all the time. If you know what I mean. :-)

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:32 am

Yes, indeed, to all that!

I guess the second sign was somewhat spiritual, just enjoy your trip, whatever trip you are on. I like it.

In london, on the subways, they say, "Mind the gap"

Have fun with that one...
Be present, be pleasant.

James

Post by James » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:54 pm

Someone picked up a "mind the gap" coffee cup for me in London. For those that are not familiar, the gap is the space between the subway car and the platform, in other words watch your step. For us it can mean observing a gap between thoughts, falling in the gap could be a bonus.

I've noticed the "dangerous curves" double meaning also while driving. :shock: I wonder how many accidents were caused by certain distracted drivers.

The other one I sometimes think about when coming to a stop light, rather than wishing the light had not turned red, I think "it's a stop and rest light" that creates a shift in perception for me. I can sit and enjoy myself until it turns green.

"Yield" is a good one too.

James
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:33 pm

James -

Another delightful pointer...yes, the 'thought-stream' required by driving gets a little break at a red light, and I've noticed it also. I put my head back against the headrest. I believe that brief little notes like this, concerned with daily living are in the spirit/intention of Eckhart (Being) in his writing the PON and ANE, and are, in their own simple but not-obvious way, very helpful - thanks!

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Ives

Post by Ives » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:42 pm

Here in Italy many advertisement slogans tend to be in English, because it’s considered to be real chic. The one that always strikes me is the Vodafone slogan: “Life is Now”.

It’s plastered all over the place, as well as being in TV ads.
That’s a cool reminder.
Last edited by Ives on Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:24 pm

OR, "Mind, the gap" (in awareness)
Be present, be pleasant.