My ways of avoiding the present....

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
Nebula

My ways of avoiding the present....

Post by Nebula » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:46 pm

Hi.
I have realised that there is a multitude of things I do to avoid the present.
When I awake, I begin to think. Think think think - what am i doing today - shall I go to salsa/choir - I need to arrange blah - I need to ring blah - I need to arrange appointment with blah - text text text - How long till my holiday - where shall I go on the next one - how much money do I have saved - I hope so and so is ok - i'm feeling anxious - oh look my breathing is shallow and fast - gotta get ready - gotta check email etc - the News - blah blah blah

Then I have some other tricks up my sleeve:
Ooh - need to bite the skin on my fingers.....(equivalent to biting nails - but actually painful(!).....right, as i'm walking to work I have music playing in my head....try and focus on the surroundings - try and breath more slowly - but before I know it - music and fast breathing again!

Just an example of the ways in which I avoid the present!
I keep trying to focus on the now, to breath more slowly, walk more slowly, but I soon snap straight back into hectic mode.
"If it is the quality of your consciousness at this moment that determines the future, then what is it that determines the quality of your consciousness? Your degree of presence"

innerhike

Re: My ways of avoiding the present....

Post by innerhike » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:07 am

An excellent post Nebula. It reveals growth and humility.

Be kind to yourself even as you discover all of these things.

There is a love in you that is greater than all of the difficulty that you can generate.

Just keep going back to this love.

No matter what we do or don't, all is well.

It is a beautiful Life and and an amazing Universe.

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:42 am

As you catch yourself in the midst of these egoic strategies do you have to follow through with them anymore, or can you just relax and focus on what is actually real and present? Let judgment go entirely and return to something real, like the breath, the inner body, or whatever is around you. It sounds like you are doing that, so continue to do that when you find that you've gone astray mentally, and then take things as they come - no sense worrying about it. Just be innocent with the whole thing and keep returning to presence.

This awakening business isn't as complicated as the mind makes it out to be, or as challenging as the ego thinks. Just be still in this moment, that's enough. This moment is the only one that counts, so attend to this moment.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:26 am

Next time, when you awake, immediately spend five minutes in meditative breathing in the Now. It's a much better start to your day than all the hectic thinking. Interrupt all those old habits. Also, remember that it takes a while to change old habits. Behavior-modification experts suggest that 18 months or more is necessary to replace really dysfunctional ones. Of course it took ET 24 hours, but that was, and he confirms, very uncommon.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Hand

Post by Hand » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:55 pm

Nebula - interesting post - thanks and highlights what it is like for all of us (or shall i say most of us?!)

Andy - thanks for the tip re 5 mins upon waking up, i will try this.

I suppose this could be done before sleep as well. It is not recommended to watch tv right before you go to bed , you need to have some time to 'unwind'.......
Life is. Accept Life. Peace reigns.

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:21 pm

Peace

domokato

Post by domokato » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:44 pm

Yea, I find when I play hectic computer games right before bed my mind becomes filled with images and thoughts about situations in the game. I suppose TV would have a similar effect. But even if I play games before bed, I think being present before falling asleep can undo a lot of those thought patterns anyway. Also, not getting so egoically involved in the game/TV while you're playing/watching helps too.

Nebula, these aren't things you do to avoid being present, these are the things your mind does to stop you from being present :). Remember, you are presence.
~housecat

Hand

Post by Hand » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:01 pm

Re Domokato
Also, not getting so egoically involved in the game/TV while you're playing/watching helps too.
Yes, good point also keeping part of your awareness in your body would help too.........
Life is. Accept Life. Peace reigns.