Stopped taking meds!!!!! Ooops!

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
Sighclone

Re: Stopped taking meds!!!!! Ooops!

Post by Sighclone » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:53 am

frankinla - good thoughts: lots of docs are aware of the power of the mind (and the larger power of no-mind!!)

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Narz

Post by Narz » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:39 am

Next time go off your meds very slowly.

It is unlikely anything organic is wrong with your brain that cannot be changed thru conscious effort & attention. Only thru self-experimentation will you know your limits.
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”

InfinityCurve - my YouTube Channel :)

Agnieszka

Post by Agnieszka » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:12 pm

Hi everybody,

since I'm constantly coping with the dilemma of not taking/taking psychotropic medicines (I have adhd), I want to ask those of you who have had any experience with these "brain medicines": do you think (have you ever tried) it's really possible to be on a drug that affects your brain and so the state of mind (consciousness?) and be able to experience really deep self awareness, presence? If so, do you think the state is natural in this case?
I've read Kiki's answer, i.e. that truly enlightened persons also can be sick and be on medication - well, I know but Kiki, do you think that they could also be enlightened while on psychiatric medication? Their diseases were located in other organs, not their brain, weren't they?
Nice to be back and posting
Love to all seekers :D
agnes

tikey

Post by tikey » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:41 pm

Nutkins2 wrote:
Do any of you take medication for mental health problems? I shouldn't feel bad for taking them, after all a mental health problem is like any other health problem, but i feel that i should be above that.
There are no "should" or "shouldn't".
Nutkins2 wrote: Another question, should people who are becoming enlightened have health problems, like many christian preachers say, that christians shouldn't have health problems and if they do, they aren't praying enough, etc.

That's just stupid(sorry for being rude). But your health-problems aren't the result of your prayers. That's just as stupid, as thinking that god
is a stone and praying to the stone. Or... it just reminds me of this old pagan beliefs.... that's all....
Im just a cloudless sky :)

tikey

Post by tikey » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:53 pm

Agnieszka wrote:Hi everybody,
If so, do you think the state is natural in this case?

agnes
This is just the case of "point of view"

If you assume that your state without medicins is "unnatural" and the state with medicines is natural than you can just believe it.

There is really no true answear for this question.

I've been going to psychologist and I've been saying to her that after smoking weed I felt so chilled-out and natural, and happy as never before.
But is that my natural state?

I don't know.

One thing I know for sure. This is from my own, natural experiences and also from experiences of taking drugs.

I compared those two states. (state on drugs with my natural state). In both states I was able to achieve the same thing:
the stillness. I think that drugs could have helped a lot, but the result was the same:total stillness. And in the depth of this
stillness borns something that is essentially you, when you are free of mind. And this essence is THE SAME weather you are
using drugs to "reach it" or do it alone, in more natural way - for example eating a banana and meditating.

I think the goal is the same and the way you achieve it is just a detail. Of course the more "natural" is your way of achiewing that,
the more healthly it is and available even on a deserted Island in the middle of pacific. But If you are really ill and you have to
take medicins to achieve that, and you wan't to achieve that, so you then must to try those medicins, but don't overload yourself
with them.

godbless,
tikey
Im just a cloudless sky :)

Joy

Post by Joy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:23 pm

Nutkins2 wrote:i felt that i could just stop taking my meds. The side effects aren't nice i can tell you.
Is Seroxat a medication that you're supposed to be weaned off of? If so, it would be unwise to suddenly stop taking it no matter how spiritually aware you're becoming. If you feel that you'd like to stop taking it, then have a doctor/psychiatrist help you create a schedule for weaning yourself off of it. It's also important when you stop taking psychiatric medications that someone monitors your condition, be it someone you live with, a therapist, a good friend or family member that you're in frequent contact with, etc.

That said, yes, I do take psychiatric medications. I take Adderall, Wellbutrin, and very occasionally Xanax. I also take nutritional supplements that increase levels of dopamine, norepinephrine, serotonin, and endorphins. I am, however, in the process of weaning myself off of Wellbutrin (and have been for about a month). I had stopped taking Adderall (which can stopped without weaning one off of it) back in January or February and did much better when I wasn't on it. I started taking it again recently, but it will only be for a few months. I may stop sooner if it strikes me as something that I should do. I don't imagine I'll be taking Xanax anymore, now that I think about it. (And I'll continue to take the nutritional supplements as long it seems like something I should do.)

Now as far as whether or not you "should" need medication:

First of all, neurotransmitters like serotonin are as much a physical condition as any other. Yes, our physical conditions are manifestations of our thoughts, but we should not expect our conditions to change immediately once we cease the thought patterns that created them. If someone is overweight, they're not going to come out of meditation 50 lbs thinner. If someone broke their leg yesterday, they shouldn't remove their cast and start walking on it right now because they just read one of Tolle's books.

What I'm trying to say is that just because you're no longer offering the thought patterns that caused the initial brain chemical imbalance doesn't mean that it's going to balance itself out instantly, especially since you've been taking a medication that alters your brain chemistry. Is it possible that you will no longer need the medication at some point? Of course. If you're present and observing your thoughts and feelings most of the time, it will become apparent to you when such is the case. If you're judging your usage of medication as wrong, however, then you're not simply observing.

Crystalrays

Post by Crystalrays » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:40 pm

I have had bouts of depression throughout life and have never taken courses of meds even after getting the prescription.

I ask myself why I would do this?

It is because I felt on one occasion, after taking them for two days, that I would become dependant on them and still have all the thoughts and issues in life that brought me to where I was at psychologically and emotionally.

I knew full well that the majority of my negative feelings were rooted in previous family experiences, the lack of a father figure, the dominance of female control which replaced it, and rejections, coupled with failed attempts to rekindle some semblance of family life and connect with the family I grew up with on a soulful level.

After decades it never improved and my identity was so wrapped up in an illusion of what family life should be like, and was like from time to time when dad was alive, that I was unable to form my own reality in any way and link confidently to other people when talking about family or the lack of friends I had established through years of despair, feeling utterly rejected as an adult in all sorts of ways and a permanent low inner core confidence.

So I know all the reasons for my despair/ suicidal thoughts, and all "professionals" seemed to want to do was send me even deeper into the abyss. This is why I declined their claimed assistance and chemical escapism. I still feel the same about it to this day. Many people become reliant on chemicals and never overcome the damage that tribal/family dysfunction has done to their existence.

Neither have I overcome the damage - in fact it pains me daily to think of how my whole life was obsessed with an idyll of love and brotherhood which was in reality a Santa Clause charade. However if I choose chemicals it will be for the pleasure of what they give me and not to hide me from the truths that I have become sadly aware of.

I understand they can help and especially when family are supportive and encouraging. But if family are absent or dismissive of your condition or general persona, it can be far worse to get ensnared by them IMO since they will become your only illusory friend that ever is able to take away all the negative energies directed at you and which you feel overpower you.

So I think that drugs can be an aid when loving support is around (not just paid professionals who ultimately are not there for who you are). But I think drugs can be a mistake when they are an only option. Sadly sometimes this is a choice some make and suffer from. I think if I had never had children whom I owed some degree of responsibility to, I too may have fallen under their spell. Plus I also saw how they became over relied upon by someone I gave much love to and was rejected by, so they are a bitter pill in my experience, as are psychologists recommendations whom I am fully aware influenced my childhood circumstances in ways I deplore.

Never be afraid to be who you are and utterly question and reject the opinions of those claiming they know your life better than you do!

A Name is a Label

Post by A Name is a Label » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:29 pm

yeah man, I'm on zoloft, and have been through not taking it for a few days. At first, all is well... there is a sense of empowerment. Then comes the dizzy spells and all that jazz. It's groovy, but I've accepted my situation: my brain doesn't produce and sustain seratonin consistently enough right now, so I am taking meds.

There is a "me" who doesn't want to have to take meds, it says, "Me? No, I don't need this. I'm fine." This is the ego, of course, fearful of containing a flaw... "uh oh. I'm not perfect! I need medicine... I NEED something to be OK? WHATS WRONG WITH ME??" What an Identity!

That's always a fun one to get wrapped up in :roll:

Tihomir Terziev

Post by Tihomir Terziev » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:55 pm

Nutkins i was deeply touched by your story.I've been struggling with OCD for almost 20 years.Well i had my fair share of obsessive rituals but at the bottom of it i am all about thinking.Compulsiveoverthetopoverblowncatastrophicdramatragic variaety.My parents are both psychatrists so it is common practice in our household to take pills even for the lowest harmless gloomy mood.At many points of this existance i did the cold turkey aproach to meds.It caused me great pain but not because of withdrawal but because of all my denial and hatred hidden in the act.Well i cannot tell if meds help but now i can clearly see the desperate attempt of my parents to save me.And the care hidden behind what seemed like The Horrible Ignorance Of Contemporary Psychiatrists.And now i think that taking meds is not against the idea of enlightment,espacially if you are aware of the real reason of taking them.Well i don't want to make some great point here and i am just sharing my experience.

And having OCD was very painful through the years but now when i am almost free from it i must admit that it gave a different perspective,it thaught me the lesson of compassion and built strong feeling of staying rooted despite the odds.

Well my two cents here :D take care!

lakeswimr

Post by lakeswimr » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:23 am

I do not think anyone here knows you well enough to say if you ought to be on medication or not long term or if it is possible for you to go without it one day. You have seen that going off it now didn't go well for you. I have someone in my life who *has* to be on medication. There is no way this person is going to use ET or anything other than meds to be well. If anyone here who doubts this saw what I have seen you would feel the same way. Some people really, really do need medication and I say, thank goodness we live in a day when this medication exists.

My heart goes out to you because I can totally understand wanting to be off of medication.