It's Only Been a Week

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
Joy

It's Only Been a Week

Post by Joy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:28 am

Hi everyone. I started listening to The Power of Now audio book a week ago, and have since also listened to A New Earth. I've found some of his work extremely helpful. Before listening to Tolle's audio books I had listened to other audio books about spirituality, New Thought, and "The Law of Attraction" (I hate that term though). It's like... Abraham-Hicks helped me realize what I need to do and why, but The Power of Now helped me realize how. It sort of brings it all together for me. I now KNOW (as opposed to having an intellectual understanding) how to stop living for tomorrow and seeing the present as nothing more than a stepping stone to the future.

I was telling a friend who's also a fan of Tolle about some of the changes I've noticed, and I realized that the "Personal Experiences" forum may be a good place to post them. Here are some observations regarding the past week:
  • Over the past few years I've practiced meditation, progressive relaxation, or self-hypnosis a couple times a month, on average. However, in the past week I've been meditating at least once a day. It used to be difficult for me to meditate without the use of self-hypnosis CDs or SHARM, but now that I understand that I only have to observe my thoughts, feel my inner energy field, and focus on my breathing, meditation has become something that I just naturally feel compelled to do, similar to eating when you're hungry or sleeping when you're tired.
  • I've noticed that I tend to have much less of a tolerance for sitting in front of the computer for long periods of time. I start feeling... unease... and I have to hop on the treadmill, meditate, run an errand, or do something. Maybe the level of unease in such situations hasn't changed, but my tolerance for it has?
  • It's sort of cool because procrastination is a thing of the past. If I realize there's something that I need to do, I either do it right away or don't do it right away. If I don't do it right away, I don't dwell on it either. I'm finding myself spontaneously and effortlessly doing things that in the past I would have put off for days (or longer), feeling miserable about it the whole time. It's very liberating. Thinking about all of the unfinished stuff you have to deal with at some point is VERY draining, after all. I'm also suddenly realizing at just the right time when there's something I need to do.
  • I've practiced yoga a handful of times in the past, but the last time I tried I ended up hurting myself. For the past few days I've felt compelled to do it though (either that or something like tai chi), similar to how I feel about meditating. I suppose it is a form of meditation, after all. I was just looking at the booklet that comes with my Kripalu Yoga program, and there's a section in there that's pretty much a summary of The Power of Now. :lol:
  • Now that I'm resisting a lot less in my life, one area of resistance that's become glaringly apparent is my resentment towards my job and my boss. I'm going to observe my thoughts and feelings on this for a while and see what happens. I really think that my resentment in this area was a direct cause (at least one of them) of an auto accident that I was in a little over a year ago and the subsequent slow healing process. (Not to mention that this has greatly restricted my flow of income as well, obviously.)
  • It's interesting that my diet has sort of balanced itself out. I've been overeating and gaining weight for the past two or three years, but in the past week I've lost 10 lbs. Part of the reason for this is the fact that I now feel more compelled to be active. I think I use walking/running on the tread mill as a form of meditation sometimes, and sometimes I listen to audio books while I'm on it. Another part of the reason is because being more present allows me to understand what my body actually needs (and doesn't need) and prevents me from overeating.
  • I've noticed that when I feel my inner energy field the most, people respond to me differently. The most interesting example is something a random stranger said to me outside the post office. She said "you look young". She had a curious look on her face like she wasn't quite sure what she was seeing, and "young" was the closest term to it that she could think of.
I'll probably add more posts in this topic as I continue to become more conscious.

+Jim+

Re: It's Only Been a Week

Post by +Jim+ » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:50 am

WOW! What a wonderful post....... Welcome to your new life Joy Image

Life just keeps getting better and better Image
Intellectual understanding is totally inadequate for meeting daily life.
It's like attempting to nourish yourself on the memory of yesterday's lunch!

http://simplyenlightening.wordpress.com/about/

Joy

Post by Joy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:41 pm

Thanks! :D

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:12 pm

That's quite a week - congratulations. :D
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Joy

Post by Joy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:29 pm

It's weird... It doesn't feel like a week. I can't say it feels like it's been longer than a week, but it doesn't feel like it's been only a week (if that makes any sense).