Airport Bookstore

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Airport Bookstore

Postby MatthewCromer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:20 am

I've been interested in the topic of "spirituality" for some time now, increasingly after a crisis in my marriage caused by unconsciousness which lead to an opportunity for consciousness. I even write a blog on the subject (poorly qualified as I am to author it!)

I was recommended Tolle a number of times, and basically felt that anyone "selling" spirituality didn't have anything to offer me. I remember reading his phrase "can a book bring about enlightenment" and dismissing it as fodder for people in need of a guru to show them the way. And that I was too far along the path for that. Yeah, not a very self-aware train of thinking, eh?

I saw the book for sale, and I wanted something to read on the last leg of a flight back home after a business trip. To be honest it has felt like I've been spinning my wheels on this spiritual journey for a few months. And this business trip was very difficult for me, away from my family, and feeling a compulsion to go out and get drunk (very uncharacteristic for me). So I stood there, looking at Tolle's smiling visage and thinking "he has a weak chin". And for some reason I bought the Power of Now anyway, despite my ego's annoyance at someone making their money selling spiritual enlightenment, despite my ego's criticism of his picture, despite my ego's dislike of the concept of "now" and the responsibility that promised to entail. I don't know why, but I bought it, and started to read.

The first half-page or so made it clear that I needed to read this message. By page 2 my mind had calmed more than it had in months. And I re-entered the state of consciousness I've been missing for a while. Great book, and very helpful in seeing the causes of the timeless state and re-membering it. And it is very cool to find a community of people dedicated to maintaining this "higher frequency vibration".
mc
MatthewCromer

Postby singh » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:19 am

Tell that to my father, for him, my interest or maybe better said effort in spirituality is just an escape from reality-how can i make him realize that my true intentions are just the other way araound?

Best of luck for you tough, my experience in spiritual literature is similiar as yours, 3/4 of it is just bull shit (excuse my language, but i think it's true) and if E.T. writing would be the only book you read on this topic it would be enough-he is totaly NEVTRAL!!!, no religious stuff, no rituals and so on, just plain simple true-I guess:)

Keep on going buisnesman!
When I can not speak my mind, I can only sing my heart...J. Lennon
singh

Postby spatialbean » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:23 am

Welcome!
spatialbean

Postby heidi » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:18 pm

Hi Matthew, and welcome - I laughed when I read your story. I, too, pooh-pooh most spiritual commodities but find Tolle just says it like it is and I'm glad he's making a good living doing it. I find myself quoting him a lot when friends whine about their situations while I go about my happy business of acceptance and fulfillment. ;) Meanwhile, my husband walks by the computer and says similar things about Tolle's appearance, as we both are strapping and extremely handsome and beautiful in comparison, as are our egos. :lol:
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby Wings » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:16 pm

Hi Matthew,

So I stood there, looking at Tolle's smiling visage and thinking "he has a weak chin".

It’s said that those with elfish appearances, posses enchanted magic from a far away land that can visit your life forever. It’s said, the magic within the pages of his offering inspire a life of presence and well being. But the secret is, one must look deep within the well of ones self to find treasures of untold richness that have always been.........

Welcome aboard Mathew and bon voyage………… :D
Wings

Postby Clare » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:24 am

Yeah, I was put off by his apprearance too. I mean, how shiny is that hair? About as shiny as ....not shiny.

And that chin. I have a magnificent chin - a jaw that is a lantern to the world. Why am I not as enlightened as him?

I'd tan better than he does, too.

He wears specs - how 'far seeing' is that?

Actually it amuses me more than I can tell you. The whole idea of the 'master race' revolved around people who look like me - blond, fair, good bones and skin. And yet we know that no true genius - world changing energy, is ever borne of good looks. They have bad teeth and table manners, like Van Gogh. They are confined to wheelchairs with degenerative diseases, like Stephen Hawkins. They look like old maids, like Theresa. Or they're long nosed Jews, like Jesus.

So with regards to perfection - what is wrong with this picture?

He should get contact lenses,. though.
:)
"The day is full of birds.
Sounds like they're saying words."

Kate Bush - "Aerial"
:)
Clare

Postby summer » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:23 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You guys are funny.

And I mean this as a compliment. What attracts me the most about Eckart has never been anything that he has written in a book. Or even said in a tape.

I just love the way he laughs :lol:

He giggles just like a little child. Right up there, on stage as the supposed "Master" or "Guru". With hundreds of spiritual seekers, paying $100 a ticket just to be close to him. He sits there, and says "my message is not in my words. It is in this silence."
And then he giggles :lol:
summer

Postby spatialbean » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:46 am

He has a GREAT laugh! Infectious. :D
spatialbean

Return to Personal Experiences