Higher thought energy

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
letitgo

Higher thought energy

Post by letitgo » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:40 pm

For quite some time I've been attempting to understand how to move forward after releasing all my old tools for living. It seemed I had released and released and brought so many egoic habits, thought processes and belief systems to presence, that they either didn't work anymore or I found them so unappealing that it was impossible to bring them back into my awareness. This left me in a void where nothing made sense anymore. It was literally impossible to function like I had in the past. Everything from how I made a living to how I interacted with others, there was no stone unturned, and no part of me that didn't experience a complete overhaul.

This dilemma is waaay under-explained and under-investigated within the non-dualist community of writers and teachers. It may be because of their clearness of consciousness on the other side of enlightenment, but I can't see from that perspective either by design or by inability. In the mean time, the advice to a person struggling with worldly issues, and how to remain present during the process of moving closer and closer to awareness is usually the metaphoric equivalent to, "There is no spoon". In other words, "Why are you having that problem? Everything is perfection!" True... but incomplete.

By way of an example, look at the post and responses on this forum, which is probably the best resource available for real information and real problems regarding the attempt to live in presence. But in my opinion the best help and information comes from those few special people here who see themselves as "not quite ego free". I think it's entirely possible that the real enlightened ones are never heard from. They are wandering in bliss and have no need, and possibly no capability, to come to this forum or any other modality to share with or help others. And the few who do, like ET and others, are walking a tight rope and very special indeed.

Now that I'm done ranting, I'll share my experience, which is more in the form of a narrative...

When we begin to lose our old habits through becoming more present, something has to replace the energy and structure of what was there. When this happened to me, it became a void which couldn't be filled with energy or thoughts or beliefs which were at the same level or lower than the vibration of energy which previously occupied this area. There was no way to go back, and this is where I was left alone and confused. Eventually, I began to comprehend that I was in a loop of repetitious energy which was based on past history. No matter how well I connected and became present, I had to come back to reality, to what I had created, which was the energy of my thoughts that still carried the habit of how to think and how to live. It wasn't attached the way it was before, but it had every intention of continuing what it was doing which would have eventually drawn those same energies back into my body had I not been able to recognize and create new habits to draw new and higher energies in order to fill the void that awareness had created! I believe this is why I, and many others, drift back and forth from bliss to suffering, and are never quite able to affirm our permanent position in presence.

What I recognized was the process of a thought that reviews any given situation or scenario and comes to a conclusion. This I viewed as an energy loop which comes back to itself after gathering all pertinent information on the subject at hand by scanning all past information. Upon completion of this loop, my mind would make a decision and the decision usually was based on an information gathering system which was predominantly negative in order to protect me from having anything bad happen. So the conclusion was usually negative. This was the old repetitious energy loop which needed to be changed. So all I had to do was recognize the process, bring it to the light of consciousness, and it would dissolve like all other thoughts and beliefs. But it didn't go anywhere. It wasn't a thought or belief or a pain body, it was somehow wired into my hard drive as a habit. For some reason, this had to be handled differently.

This went on for weeks. Then one day I was helping a friend understand why she couldn't let go of her old dense energy and habits and I saw so clearly a visualization of this loop of energy and how it has no other ability than to do what it has always done. I saw it as the energy of pure ignorance. Only operating out of instinct and habit. It was so primitive, so... dumb... for lack of a better description, and I recognized that it could be superseded with such ease. After seeing this I asked her if she could just simply ask, at the end of the loop of thought, "I wonder if there's another possibility?" Or, "I wonder if there's a higher, lighter, easier way?" It took the ability to overcome a strong resistance to release, but she did it.

Since then, I have began to fill my void with higher and lighter energy. A form of manifesting which tacks infinite possibility to the end of every thought. This visualization has helped me more that you could imagine. I certainly do hope that this story helps those of you attempting to move higher, to keep steady solid earthly ground under your feet as you go.

Sincerely, Norm
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.

domokato

Re: Higher thought energy

Post by domokato » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:54 pm

I have found that observing something does not make it go away by itself. However, observing something does allow you to regain control over it in that you can change it without resisting it (since we know resistance doesn't work). In order to stop a thought process in its tracks, the surest way I have found is to become completely present and devote more space to your senses instead of your mind, which should cause your mind to stop. If not enough space is given to the mind, it will stop. No space for the mind means no energy for the mind to run on. This is how I recondition a thought process.
~housecat

tod

Post by tod » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:17 pm

No matter how well I connected and became present, I had to come back to reality, to what I had created, which was the energy of my thoughts that still carried the habit of how to think and how to live. It wasn't attached the way it was before, but it had every intention of continuing what it was doing which would have eventually drawn those same energies back into my body had I not been able to recognize and create new habits to draw new and higher energies in order to fill the void that awareness had created! I believe this is why I, and many others, drift back and forth from bliss to suffering, and are never quite able to affirm our permanent position in presence.

What I recognized was the process of a thought that reviews any given situation or scenario and comes to a conclusion. This I viewed as an energy loop which comes back to itself after gathering all pertinent information on the subject at hand by scanning all past information. Upon completion of this loop, my mind would make a decision and the decision usually was based on an information gathering system which was predominantly negative in order to protect me from having anything bad happen. So the conclusion was usually negative. This was the old repetitious energy loop which needed to be changed. So all I had to do was recognize the process, bring it to the light of consciousness, and it would dissolve like all other thoughts and beliefs. But it didn't go anywhere. It wasn't a thought or belief or a pain body, it was somehow wired into my hard drive as a habit. For some reason, this had to be handled differently.

This went on for weeks. Then one day I was helping a friend understand why she couldn't let go of her old dense energy and habits and I saw so clearly a visualization of this loop of energy and how it has no other ability than to do what it has always done. I saw it as the energy of pure ignorance. Only operating out of instinct and habit. It was so primitive, so... dumb... for lack of a better description, and I recognized that it could be superseded with such ease. After seeing this I asked her if she could just simply ask, at the end of the loop of thought, "I wonder if there's another possibility?" Or, "I wonder if there's a higher, lighter, easier way?" It took the ability to overcome a strong resistance to release, but she did it.

Since then, I have began to fill my void with higher and lighter energy. A form of manifesting which tacks infinite possibility to the end of every thought. This visualization has helped me more that you could imagine. I certainly do hope that this story helps those of you attempting to move higher, to keep steady solid earthly ground under your feet as you go.
Thank you very much for this Norm. It has helped bring to consciousness here what I have been grappling with for a while.

By not coming to a conclusion or making a decision after the loop of thought you speak of, there is no coming back to the old reality - wonderful.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:47 am

Yes, thanks indeed, Norm. While I don't connect with it in its entirety, as I am not at that level of experience, I do appreciate your reports from the edge. It is good to know that there is solid footing when one gets stuck. I think I am still in the "ignorance loop" and will try to add the "infinite possibilities" to my thinking. I have been working with Byron Katie's four questions and I think this may do same thing, as the questions dig deep into my energy and dredge entrenched loops and belief sludge to the surface. Then I spend time in quiet awareness letting my mind burn hot and then cool into being.

(then I get all riled up at work....)

Keep posting as you are someone who has helped me with your honesty and relevant experience...
Be present, be pleasant.

James

Post by James » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:38 am

Hi Norm
I can relate to some of what you are saying, but not all. I am not sure my perspective will resonate with you, but here goes anyway, i'll give it a try.

First let me say that In the 1990's For about 7 years or so, I was in a tradition that emphasized mystical healing and manifesting. But unlike your experience, I can't say that I was all that good at either healing or manifesting. That in itself led to frustration and to look for another approach.

You said:
This dilemma is waaay under-explained and under-investigated within the non-dualist community of writers and teachers. It may be because of their clearness of consciousness on the other side of enlightenment, but I can't see from that perspective either by design or by inability. In the mean time, the advice to a person struggling with worldly issues, and how to remain present during the process of moving closer and closer to awareness
I have certainly struggled with worldly issues as have most people I know on the spiritual path. Perhaps it seems that the problems are glossed over by talk of perfection; but I feel that is sometimes because attitude is a huge part of awakening. When we stop seeing problems as problems, but instead welcome them as opportunities to surrender or awaken, it creates an opening in consciousness. I don't know how you feel about Adyashanti's teaching, but he is always discussing the problems of awakening with his students, and it is not all peaches and creme; sometimes it is a bloody mess. Adya has a free clip I like called "Achieving Total Failure", at this link http://www.adyashanti.org/index.php?file=listenonline it is found about 3/4 of the way down the page. He talks about how at some point we find that nothing we relied on works anymore, and this is actually a blessing. Really what it boils down to is relinquishing control. The frustration is a result of wanting our own will to be done or expecting things to unfold in a certain way. So when everything we relied on begins to fail, we are ready for a deeper surrender.

Also the last Radio show of Adya's was very good. Near the end of the live show, there was a woman caller from Oregon that made me think of your situation. She was very oriented towards energy flows in the body and identifying with them. Adya showed her how she had made a false identity out of her capacities, and how that created back and forth swings from euphoric experiences to frustrating ones. He made the analogy of identifying with say the "foot"; just because we have a foot, we don't say "I am a foot". We may have capacities or abilities, energies etc. but we are not those, they are incidental and happen through us.
Here is the title description:
Adyashanti Radio - Nov 20 2008 $ 10.00
Living from Intuitive Wisdom ~ Adyashanti explores how to move from being to action, where the intuitive wisdom that comes from wholeness informs your day-to-day existence.
Date/Time : Nov 20, 2008 (6:00 PM - 7:30 PM)

If interested you can download it for $10 here:
http://www.adyashanti.org/cafedharma/in ... c&stitle1=

Eckhart also addresses the challenges of awakening in some of his recordings from classes or retreats, but not nearly as much as Adya. Perhaps this is because Tolle's awakening was of a very rare variety, sudden and abiding, while Adya's was more gradual, and often un-abiding. He tends to relate better to students that drift in and out of Presence; as most of us do (including myself). Giving up concern about whether I am in Presence or not has made a huge difference for me, I find that the expansion of the "aperture" (opening of awareness), naturally occurs again if I don't become concerned about it or struggle after it has contracted or closes. Another way of saying that is "not resisting the resistance." This is very helpful, that and giving up any notions of how things should unfold, not having any goals, agendas or time tables etc.

Your last paragraph:
Since then, I have began to fill my void with higher and lighter energy. A form of manifesting which tacks infinite possibility to the end of every thought. This visualization has helped me more that you could imagine. I certainly do hope that this story helps those of you attempting to move higher, to keep steady solid earthly ground under your feet as you go
If that is working for you then enjoy it.

Hope my remarks helped, If they don't resonate with you, that is OK too; take what appeals to you and discard the rest.

J.

Marcel Franke

Post by Marcel Franke » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:29 am

James:
> http://www.adyashanti.org/index.php?file=listenonline it is found about 3/4

Thank you James, for pointing that one out.
---ooOoo---

Izumi

Post by Izumi » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:22 pm

Great post by James. I can only add The emphasis on Adyashanti - he has answered so many of my long running problems, just by listening to those free clips.
Several of the video clips may also clarify things, being relevant to what you describe - http://www.adyashanti.org/index.php?file=watchvideo

Best wishes.

letitgo

Post by letitgo » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:15 pm

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I feel this forum is a good outlet for sharing my experiences, not only because of the specific personal guidance given by so many of you, but because other "mystical" forums and groups aren't the proper sounding board for my situation. In some ways I'm a fish out of water. I'm drawn to and appreciate the ego-free advice, it keeps me grounded, but I have the constant exterior manifestations of healing, creating a situation which the ego can readily identify. I believe this is why I get such wild ungrounded advice and comments from the metaphysical community, because it really is so difficult to have such exterior stimuli and remain ego free. This process however, will now be put to the test. After over a year of receiving nightly healing energy, I believe my understanding has reached the level to where I can go public in my local area, and see if this energy will be as beneficial and miraculous to others as it has for me and my family over the past year.

James said, referring to Adya;
He talks about how at some point we find that nothing we relied on works anymore, and this is actually a blessing. Really what it boils down to is relinquishing control. The frustration is a result of wanting our own will to be done or expecting things to unfold in a certain way. So when everything we relied on begins to fail, we are ready for a deeper surrender.
I completely agree with the analogy that when we reach the point where nothing works anymore, it's a blessing. However, I don't believe my frustration stems from wanting my own will. I believe my frustration stems from the empty void I mentioned in my above post. I believe there are many tools to use when we reach this point which can eliminate the wandering in and out of awareness that we all seem to go through. Actual tools and visualizations that fill in the blanks between bliss... and your checking account balance. I liked Byron Katie's four questions but for some reason it was a little cumbersome for me personally. I think much more along these lines would be well received by all who seek awareness.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:14 am

Norm...hello again! What an honest expression of progress. Others will surely benefit. I also had a period of disorientation. I never had a problem getting stuck, and "infinite possibility" has been a mental mantra for me too. You sound very clear these days. Surely it's time to try the healing. Start small, of course. I have a friend with a back problem who has read Eckhart and resonates with it. Please let us know how your healing efforts are progressing - you may PM me also...I may send him out. He has tried several modalities.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

letitgo

Post by letitgo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:33 pm

Hello again!

I was thinking last night about my response to James and thought I had better crawfish. (Ozark slang for back up).

I believe I jumped ahead to my "frustration with the void" without adequately relating the process of exposing the belief systems. This may have erroneously given the impression that what James said about surrender creating an openness to consciousness could be somehow sidestepped. That certainly isn't true! It's the time period immediately following that has given me fits. And if you'll indulge me for just a bit, I'll relate my experience with a process which will eventually become obsolete.

My experience with the identifications of a belief or attachment has been broken down into four categories. It is kind of like a mourning process. Each category has to be gone through to varying degrees. Any attempt to skip a part of the process would bring me back to square one. Here's the categories;
  • Denial
This is the immediate response upon seeing the belief. "I don't feel that way!" "I'm not that person!"
  • Acceptance
This area is usually broken down into sub-categories depending on how deep the belief goes. First; My acceptance would be in the form of embarrassment or humiliation at the awareness that I actually did feel this way and I actually was this person. This could be a huge step because my ego is not willing to admit that it's not perfect. Second; I would accept the belief in all it's harshness and bring it into presence and feel myself energetically dissolve the negative energy. This could also be quite intense because presence would take me deep into the emotions attached to the belief and very strong negative energies would come to the surface. Sometime acceptance of heavy beliefs would take a week or more.
  • Surrender
After the negative energy is gone, and the attachment is severed, and I'm completely present, I'm able to surrender. This allows me to completely accept without judgement who I am, and who I was. This surrender to what just left my aura allows me to be transparent to it's return. So when this thought or belief roams back through, I'm not attached to it in any way. It can come and go as it pleases, but it can't stick.
  • Frustration
You would think that all would be bliss... and it's this thinking process that causes all NOT to be bliss. We're still on this earth and certain laws do apply. I created a system of thinking that doesn't work anymore. I created a belief of the world around me that doesn't apply anymore. Those habits have to be changed. So it's not quite like Byron Katie's work which exposes the belief system, it's finding a way to rewire myself at the end of the repetitious loop of thought which will allow me to consider infinite possibilities as outlined in my original post.

Therefore, the new though process added to the end of the old redundant loop of thought, is in addition to, not a replacement of, the process of being present.

I hope I haven't bored you, but I thought I needed to be more specific. Thanks again, to everyone who replied.

Sincerely, Norm

innerhike

Post by innerhike » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:30 am

Something I focused on in your most recent post:
Therefore, the new though process added to the end of the old redundant loop of thought, is in addition to, not a replacement of, the process of being present.
and
Those habits have to be changed.
----

There are two schools of thought on anything: one school that believes it's the only school and the other school that believes that there are more schools. :-)

I think the key is to feel your way through your process instead of trying to compare your process with that of others, be it mystics or nondualists.

If you feel something is helping you, use it, work with it.

I find that few "wake up" completely and instantaneously, if there is even such a thing in the first place.

---

It is one thing to talk cogently about waking up, and it is another to be completely woken up.

---

The one feeling or idea that I pick up on in your recent post is that you are still thinking that you are to do something, that you are in control, or that you are responsible.

Do we really have to replace bad habits with good? Bad energy or patterns with good?

Can we really go on a diet (war against obsessive eating) or a war against drugs/terrorism and be "successful"?

Replacing one kind of activity with another kind of activity is still activity. It is tiring. Who is doing it? Is it being done through me or by me?

In my case I can try to reason myself out of an obsession or pattern but the quickest way out for me is not by forming new habits or collecting better ideas, but simply collapsing into the Now, not resisting anything, not having any idea or hope. In what would seem to be a completely hopeless void, there arises the recognition that there is only peace, bliss, stillness, healing, love. This recognition then fuels new behavior instantly, not the thought of acquiring new behavior.

I guess I could call my so-called meditation practice an attempt to create a new habit or pattern. But this so-called meditation practice is simply an attempt to get to the stage, that ever-present place in us where no attempts are needed to achieve anything.

Once I am clear, and at peace, then everything flows well, including paying bills.

"Not through me, but through my Father, all is possible".

This is not duality. This is recognition that not me, the ball of resistance, but Life, is taking care of everything.

Who after all is causing your heart to beat or the earth to rotate?

----

Perhaps we need to clean the pot repeatedly before it breaks.

I understand that.

But it does not have to be strenuous and characterized by struggle.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:24 am

Good posts. You all are way out of my leauge, but I do appreciate the discourse. I agree with Inner hike, Norm, and say forge your own way through this. It sounds like you know what to do, and as you do it it will be the right thing. How could it be otherwise?

Take care,
Be present, be pleasant.

letitgo

Post by letitgo » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:14 pm

Thanks innerhike and Onceler,

I get it... but I don't know if I can do it...
"Not through me, but through my Father, all is possible".
This is "close "to my favorite quote. My constant thought, mantra and desire is "Not my will, but thy will be done"... But through me...seems to be an integral part of the equation.