Loss of interests with new found inner peace

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
piercej

Loss of interests with new found inner peace

Post by piercej » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:22 pm

Hi everyone. A particular question has me searching for your opinions/experiences...

Eckhart's pointers have completely healed every flawed thought and habit of my consciousness. A ceaseless and complete peace and joy have settled here, and it seems now that it can never be any other way. To say there is gratitude is an immeasurable understatement.

With this transformation, motivations for many of life's "normal" pursuits have diminished or disappeared entirely. While this causes few concerns, I wonder if it is common.

For instance, almost all desire to meet a significant other has gone, partly because there is no vacancy of intimacy, and partly because finding someone who shares our views would be unlikely at best. This change comes as quite a neutral surprise.

Also, money has lost all meaning beyond the means of comfort. Buying and wearing second hand clothes, and driving an old, inexpensive car have no negative attachment. Having a respected career or advancement have lost all meaing as well. Trying to impress anyone or return to those pursuits seems pointless. At one point, this was not the situation.

Lately, there is no particular desire to socialize at places that promote the illusions that have blocked conscious awareness. This eliminates almost all places. The need for human interaction seems to be dramatically less.

Traditional concerns have seemed to narrow to a focused point, and very little of it is outside of now. While some time is spent maintaining an awareness of world events and other issues, there is no longer an emotional response other than compassion and peace.

This may sound like a passionless existence, but tremendous passion does come, usually while meditating, but can be felt during any particular conscious moment. The overall question to you the reader is of course... what is your opinion? Is this description one of balance? ...because it feels like one, but I am quite inexperienced in this new life. There must be experiences that can shed some light. Thank you very much.

One very imperfect follower of Eckhart's message,
Pierce

Webwanderer

Re: Loss of interests with new found inner peace

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:03 pm

Welcome to the forum piercej. Awakening does have a way of exposing existing priorities for the egoic persuits they are. Still, we are here in the world of form. What is your sense of purpose now that the old has been washed away? This question is a bit rhetorical, as it may not yet be clear. You may just be in a period of grounding in this new/eternal perspective. Look for clarity and guidance in your moments of deep stillness. I suspect you are here for something more than just breathing the air in solitude.

LIfe is fraught with adventure and opportunity. The same pursuits engaged in egoically may be perceived as well through awakened consciousness. Who knows that these activities may reveal something of value latent within us, and within the conditions at hand?

WW

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:08 pm

Welcome to the board, pierce. Your post could have been written by me. It shows that what is considered "normal" doesn't bring about the peace or fulfillment that is found in resting in your essential nature. Once that is found there is a natural shedding of behaviors and activities that are now seen as rather meaningless because they no longer hold some sort of promise for a payoff. One can leave those activities now without feeling you are "missing" something, or they can be engaged without any sense of gain from them. It's a curious thing isn't it?

When I look at others sometimes I get the feeling that everyone is in this gigantic bumper car race, with nobody understanding what's going on. Still, we continue to conduct our lives, but now with a greater sense of clarity and compassion for those we encounter.

Once again, welcome aboard.

kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Javonni

Post by Javonni » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:16 pm

Pierce, I am experiencing the same thing. You have expressed exactly what I have been feeling for the past year.

The way I see my life now is resting in awareness.

Javonni
When someone asks me who they are or what God is, I smile inside and whisper to the Light: "There you go again pretending."
~Adyashanti

piercej

Post by piercej » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:50 pm

Thank you for the replies and support.
To answer the question that was asked about purpose... which was a great question btw... my humble opinion and one that brings me a lot of contentment and fulfillment, is that my purpose is to experience consciousness from this particular body's point of view, while learning how to transcend life's illusions, while hopefully spreading inner peace in the process. That comes closest to what I would call my primary purpose. I agree with Eckhart that my secondary purpose is to do whatever it is I am doing in the moment, and right now, that is typing to finish this post :)

It is wonderful to finally experience the happiness that comes with this interaction. Until now, the study had been unshared, so again, thank you all. :)

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:00 pm

It is wonderful to finally experience the happiness that comes with this interaction. Until now, the study had been unshared, so again, thank you all
One of the things I've found through this board is that the sharing that takes place here from consciously putting words to "this" has a way of deepening presence for me, and hopefully for the reader as well.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

eagle2phoenix

Post by eagle2phoenix » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:09 pm

I must be so lucky. I am married to a man who shares the same interest as I do in terms of spiritual development. Both of us are into meditation, ET and Osho. Both of us believe in all things good, in the Supreme Being. Both of us believe that we are light beings born to this world, destined to meet and share our lives. We have time for intimacy as well. After all, it is about 2 people becoming one.

Of course, we have our disagreements but we accept that we are 2 different people with differing views about some things, most of the time it is the material stuff that cause us to disagree. I like to spend, he likes to save.

I like gardening (he trims the big trees while I tend to the rest), he likes cooking, both of us like vermiculture (composting) and fishing (catch and release).

All in all, it is about affinity and destiny. If one is to share a life with another, so be it. If one is to live alone, so be it.

We have 3 wonderful sons - Jordan 10, Johan 8 and Joey 4. :D

Love & Light
Life is fascinating. Nature is beautiful. Live life with nature.

Tara

Post by Tara » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:07 pm

Thanx for this post Piercej...it really helped me to see this is somewhat of what I feel or where I am at right now. But I have this nagging all the time that I need to be doing something...or something to help others...or giving...hopefully with more consciousness I will find that purpose.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:07 pm

Thanks for joining piercej, and for your comments here and elsewhere. I am married and there are lots of egoic activities all around me (angry stepson and his child, investments needing attention (or not), and a career in decline (mostly by choice)). There is not the slightest doubt that my experience in Being has been refined by reading widely and posting here. My concerns for egoic pursuits have also fallen away. I garden, I maintain my car and my wife's car, both over ten years old. I volunteer in a Kindergarten and elementary school and I pound away on a novel. Am I a Frequency Holder? Maybe. Do I have a "consciousness compass" (as opposed to a "moral compass")? I think so. Is my life simpler? Yes. Might I end up on a park bench? Probably not.

On page 204 of PON, ET mentions that "...the teaching of enlightenment [is] your main purpose..."

So, like kiki, I think my experience is much like yours. Thanks for coming on board... :)

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

garuda

Post by garuda » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:18 am

piercej wrote: With this transformation, motivations for many of life's "normal" pursuits have diminished or disappeared entirely. While this causes few concerns, I wonder if it is common.

While some time is spent maintaining an awareness of world events and other issues, there is no longer an emotional response other than compassion and peace.

This may sound like a passionless existence, but tremendous passion does come, usually while meditating, but can be felt during any particular conscious moment. The overall question to you the reader is of course... what is your opinion? Is this description one of balance? ...because it feels like one, but I am quite inexperienced in this new life.
Piercej,
This has always been a tough issue for me. I too have had passionate interests, then lost all interest while in bliss, then regained interest; back and forth. I too questioned whether what is happening, the experience, and my behavior around it, is the real McCoy. And what do certain things mean in its context. Not knowing these things can be frustrating. But the one thing I noticed on my journey was: “You don’t know, what you don’t know.” It made me ask the question thereafter: “Each time I reach another breakthrough level of Consciousness marked by bliss/wisdom/insight/equanimity/etc. — is this the Real Ultimate mere-Consciousness? Or some other blissful state in between? Is this the sought after stateless-state of Ultimate Wisdom beyond any other? How can we know for certain unless we have reached the next state above this one – in order to look back and say “Yes” that was it. But if we are looking back from that higher state to assess it, does that not confirm that that former state we are looking back at, obviously was not the highest state of achievement. Because we now are looking from the higher state....... which then begs the question again: “is it the Highest state? And do my interests, attitudes, and behaviors, or lack of, reflect this state or level appropriately?

Hence the quandary of vicious circles: “How you know when you know that you don’t know you have that Zen-like ‘Don’t-know’ knowing that you can’t know whenever you truly know that you don’t know?” (ughhhh.... that sounds like Dick Chaney trying to explain why we went to Iraq only to find no weapons of mass destruction). It’s exhausting! Then we see the obvious whipsaw of the mental gymnastics involved here, just before we reach the edge of going nutso!

This has been my learning experience so far: During those specific moments of absolute mere-Consciousness, the Consciousness Itself just KNEW absolutely that It knew! Independent of my personal thinking about it. It knew only of it’s Own Present existence; and there was absolutely no questioning or doubt of that Knowing Itself to Be Only Consciousness — just as in the case of Consciousness during deep dreamless sleep! Then I conclude from all this — that, if I have to question the state of consciousness or state of present-awareness, then that ain’t IT! When unquestioned and merely when awareness is aware of being awareness itself (the Awaring Only) — then that is IT. But you still don’t know it personally because the ego-mind is absent. If my ego-mind tries to assess or derive some gain from the Presence-Awareness moment, then it is missed. When I remain focused on the present moment awareness, then the rest will take care of itself. That is my understanding and also the “no-experience” experience of IT. I just can’t say anymore about it than that. I hope this is helpful.
Recognize present awareness......... rest in that awareness..........don’t become distracted.

Foxtrot

Post by Foxtrot » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:50 am

This thread reminded me of one of my favorite Adyashanti writing/teaching. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :D
The Awakened Way

What is it like to live an awakened life?

While the world is trying to solve its problems and everyone around you is engaged in the same, you’re not. While everybody around you is trying to figure it out, trying to arrive, trying to “get there,” trying to be worthy, you’re not. While everyone thinks that awakening is a grand, noble, halo-enshrouded thing, for you it’s not. While everybody is running from this life right now, in this moment, to try to get there, you’re not. Where everybody has an argument with somebody else, mostly everybody else, starting with themselves, you don’t. Where everybody is so sure that happiness will come when something is different than it is now, you know that it won’t. When everybody else is looking to achieve the perfect state and hold on to it, you’re not.

When everybody around you has a whole host of ideas and beliefs about a whole variety of things, you don’t. Everyone on the path is getting there; you haven’t gotten anywhere. Everyone is climbing the mountain; you’re selling hiking boots and picks at the foot in the hope that if they climb it and come back down, they may be too exhausted to do it again. When everybody else is looking to the next book, to the next teacher, to the next guru to be told what’s real, to be given the secret key to an awakened life, you’re not. You don’t have a key because there’s not a lock to put it in.

When you’re living what you are in an awakened way, being simply what you’ve always been, you’re actually very simple. You basically sit around wondering what all the fuss is about.

When everyone is sitting around saying, “I hope that happens to me,” you remember when you did that. You remember that you didn’t find a solution to that. You remember that the whole idea that there was a problem created all of that.

When you’re being what you are, when you’re living the awakened life, there’s nobody to forgive, because there’s no resentment held, no matter what.

The truth of your being doesn’t crave happiness; it could actually care less. It doesn’t crave love, not because you are so full of love, but because it just doesn’t crave love. It’s very simple. It doesn’t seek to be known, regarded highly, or understood. When you’re living what you are in an awakened way, there’s no ideal for you anymore. You’ve stepped off the entire cycle of suffering, of becoming; you’re not interested.

It’s a curious life you find yourself in. You find yourself… where you are. Not where I am, where you are. Where you really are. Where we really are. It’s a curious place to be (especially in the beginning) not to be driven by anything—pleasure or displeasure, helping or hurting, loving or hating. The only thing that will move you (and I don’t mean to be too poetic about this) is the same thing that moves a leaf hanging from a tree. It’s simply because the breeze blows that way. So you always know what to do: The breeze blows that way, and that’s the way you go. You don’t ask questions anymore. You don’t evaluate why the breeze is blowing that way because you know that you don’t know why. And you know you can’t know why. There’s never been a leaf anywhere that knows why the wind blows that way on that day at that moment. That breeze changes the orientation of your life, moment to moment to moment, simply because that’s the way life’s moving. And when you’re living in your awakened self you have no argument with the way it’s moving because it is the same as you are.

And you know that the breeze was always there, from the very beginning, and that it wasn’t reserved for special people. If you didn’t notice it at some point in your life, you know it was because you weren’t listening, or because you thought you had to figure something out before you could listen, or because you thought there had to be some conclusion before you could just listen so deeply, so without agenda, so without hope of a better future that you would feel the movement.

Many of you know what I’m speaking of.

Truth never explains why it’s moving that way at that moment. And if you ask, it won’t give any information. It would be like a leaf asking the wind, “Why are you moving that way right now?” The question doesn’t make any sense to the wind.

But your argument with the way the truth would move—whatever that way is—is no longer there for you. You’re no longer arguing with it. You’re no longer trying to figure it out. Mother Mary didn’t figure it out. Buddha didn’t figure it out. Ramana didn’t figure it out. None of them figured it out. They just became That. Simple. Ordinary—in the same way a leaf is ordinary.

When you’re living in your awakened being and living in an awakened way, power on any level is not an issue for you. It’s not interesting. The power to control another human being is not interesting. Intellectual power is not interesting. The power to control yourself is not interesting. The power that people want to give you is not interesting to you—not because it shouldn’t be; it’s just not. What would you want to do with it? You see that there’s nothing you want to do with it.

You realize, in the truth of your being, that you are the totality itself, but you have no interest whatsoever in doing anything with that knowledge, with using that knowledge.

Finally, you realize that you really don’t want to change anybody, not because you shouldn’t want to change them, because you just don’t. You might not want to be around everyone, but still you don’t want to change them.

None of this is an ideal—it’s the end of ideals. None of this is holiness; it’s the end of holiness. It’s the beginning of wholeness. None of this is something to achieve, because it’s not achievable. It’s simply what is in the truth of your being. It’s just what is. You can’t attain what’s naturally so. And nobody anywhere can ever tell you when or why, or to what degree you’ll let go of untruth; you will let go when you let go, usually when nothing else works.

When you’re living in the awakened way, in the awakened being that you are, you’re alone, and you’re finally comfortable with it. You’re alone, but you’re not lonely at all, because the only one who was ever supposed to meet you where you are—the only one who ever could meet you where you are one hundred percent—was you. Nobody else could ever fully meet you where you are—maybe ninety percent, maybe ninety-five. Nobody can meet you fully but you. When you finally do, then you don’t need anybody else to do it for you. Then you’re alone, more alone than you could ever imagine. And strangely—very strangely—you are more connected, more intimate, more at one with everything. More. And you would have never thought that those two could in any way be together: total aloneness and total oneness. You would have never guessed that that’s the way it would end up. But it does, and it always has.

And finally, when you’re just living in the awakened way that you really are, you’ll never form an image again of what it’s like. Even as it’s happening, you won’t form an image because you’ll know they’re all images, dust. The way it was yesterday won’t be the way it is today.

Adyashanti.

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:06 am

Exactly - Great Quote Foxtrot - Thanks :)

There is no reality in words or wordthoughts.
None.
That said, the Human Experience is glorious!
Peace

Javonni

Post by Javonni » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:47 am

Foxtrot, I enjoyed Adya's teaching. Thank you!

Javonni
When someone asks me who they are or what God is, I smile inside and whisper to the Light: "There you go again pretending."
~Adyashanti

Larryfroot

Post by Larryfroot » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:13 pm

Hello Pierce,

But first I must thank Foxtrot for the wonderful quote.

Right, lets try that again.

Hello Pierce,

Yep, been there myself. Months of bliss, freedom and joy. Very nice. Until one morning I awoke and it had gone. Something had sort of snapped back out of place inside me. But then I felt a voice (no other way to describe it) say 'just accept'. So I did. And whilst the same degree of release and freedom has yet to return in any extended period, still, I really don't care. It can come, it can go. What really matters now is the acceptance of its coming and going. That is where my deeper peace and practice lays. To be at peace when peace departs is to be at peace. The Buddha spoke of four noble truths, There is suffering, suffering has causes, there is an end to suffering and there are paths to take us there.

Please note that the end of suffering is not the end of the formula that the Buddha is prescribing here. The end of suffering is followed by paths, and not the other way around. Of course, there are many interesting and valid ways in which the Buddha cake can be sliced, and this take on it is just that, a take. But it seems to me that we reach an end to suffering, and then create paths to bring the light within us to every situation or environment we find ourselves in.

As for being with others, if I may quote from a Course in Miracles, (this is not verbatim, so I will not use the quotes function) "As you see your brothers you will see yourself". Recognise the truth within them and you will establish the truth for all of us.

But enjoy! What you have is absolutely wonderful! But one day you might (or might not) find yourself gravitating back to a more mundane experience. It can happen. The question is then, can you accept and be at peace about that? That peace is such a profound peace that arises in the battlefield, in the messiness of the human condition we offer peace, love, understanding not in spite of the pain, but because the pain asks of us a response. Usually we reply with the ego. Other times though, we can consciously choose to relate to the human condition in a different way. We can accept, forgive and relinquish what has been crying out for love but has only ever met our condemnation and resistance.

So that really is my experience of peace - in the longer term - to be at peace when peace departs is truly to be at peace.
Many a mickle muches a markle.

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:05 pm

"We" are Pure Awareness playing the "game" of - "having" - a "Human Experience".
While this "game" - this "experience" - may "end" the infinite potential for experience (the "True Self" of Pure Awareness) remains.
As such "I" find it impossible to take seriously - to "care" - how it all (the "Experience") plays out - since nothing affects in the least "our" "Being" - which is Pure Awareness.

With great curiosity "I" watch - and "play" - the "game". :D
Peace