Depression...

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
kmlittleton

Depression...

Post by kmlittleton » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:16 am

I've been suffering from terrible depression and anxiety since November... I was hospitalized twice, once in December and once at the beginning of January. I was shaking and convulsing with anxiety, over-analyzing everything and so worried I was going to hurt myself if I didn't get relief... A man gave me Eckhart Tolle's book "A New Earth" and for the first time in my life, I felt like there was hope. I didn't need to suffer and worry. I read the whole thing in 2 days and by the time I was done reading it, I was ready to be released from the hospital. That book became my Bible, through it I found meaning and stability in my life and it was the best feeling in the world. It was what I was looking for.

Now, about a month has passed since I left the hospital... I just read "The Power of Now" as well. I know I'm a lot better than I was in January, but I'm still feeling uneasy. I'm trying to just focus on the Now and be concious, but I find it difficult at times. Sometimes I just feel hopeless and that my thinking patterns will never change... I don't have much motivation and sometimes I can't help but think "what's the point?" I know that I need to just be aware of my feelings, but sometimes it' so hard to accept them. I don't want to live like this. I want to be happy. I want to enjoy life and stop thinking about death. I know what I need to do, I just don't know how to do it.

What are some ways you get out of your head? Has anyone ever felt like this and gotten through it? How do I truly become concious and aware of the Now? I'm just so bored with life and I want to just accept it and enjoy it again like I used to.

DWBH1953

Re: Depression...

Post by DWBH1953 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:15 am

kmlittleton wrote:I
What are some ways you get out of your head? Has anyone ever felt like this and gotten through it? How do I truly become concious and aware of the Now? I'm just so bored with life and I want to just accept it and enjoy it again like I used to.
Well first to do nothing is like a death sentence when you have depression you need to be active, get out and take walks even if you think you will die if you do you need to do it.
Your brain will not supply you with enough endorphins unless your active in your body.
Second make sure your diet is good lots of protien and try to stay away from a lot of carbs, The carbs may feel great when you first load up and then you will crash. Reading anything that is postive is always a good thing and ET books are very good just do not let any kind of pressure build up on reading books that may offer you a challege.
The last thing is if they have you on meds and they are working do not stop and never stop cold turkey on depression meds. Oh and always remember you are not alone millions of people just like you get depressed and make it through just fine.

Then later when your feeling fairly strong but maybe still a little depressed you can try just to be in the present moment right here and now you know just be and when your just being see if you can find any depression there in the moment. It is a good excercise but I would wait until everything is more stable before you try.

Oh I almost forgot one of the best authors I have ever read on depression and spirituality is
Pema Chodron, she is a Buddhist Nun and is really amazing when dealing with depression.

DWBH
Dont worry be happy
Randji
Last edited by DWBH1953 on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana

piercej

Post by piercej » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:18 am

kmlittleton,

"My story" can completely relate... completely, believe me. Millions are in the same process with you, including everyone here. There are no absolute answers for you here, because no one has an answer better than the one waiting inside you to be discovered, but consider a suggestion...

If the books had such an impact in such a short time, try some of Eckhart's videos. Go to http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=e ... aq=f&dur=3 The top 3 videos are like the books come to life. There is a form there we perceive as a person, but it is stillness, peace, connectedness,(and some humor :) ) which you will experience, and it will point to the answers.

If you practice what you are studying, you will look back on this period of depression as a gift because it led you to the experience and knowlegde which brought immeasurable inner peace. You will look back on this period and inwardly smile.

I just spent 3 paragraphs trying to explain even my limited understanding and experience of true inner peace, but after reading it, I realized how inadequate the words were, so I will just end here.

Hang in there. Millions are pulling with you, and yet we are one. :)

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:29 am

Diet and exercise are vital to optimizing the organism for healing, in my opinion. Get on a vigorous exercise plan. Just find one which is approved by your medical people and do it. Daily. I echo the praise for Pema Chodron. You might also like Byron Katie's thework.com and her book "Loving What Is." She offers a cognitive practice to shake down some debilitating thoughts and beliefs.

Invite your fears into your Presence. They are powerless against it.

Learn a meditation technique, too. Check out Adyshanti's "True Meditation," and Eckhart's older CD "Gateways to Now." Spend some time walking in nature without labelling anything.

And to feed your ego a bit...it is OK to feel good about your progress. Remember how you were before. You are better now. That fact is very very significant. Own it. Unless it disintigrates spontaneously, like ET's, sometimes an ego needs to be built up a bit (ultimately replacing one self-story with another, briefly)...it is kind of like loving yourself at whatever state of consciousness you are in. Take a deep breath and investigate your inner body...it is a very special place and a powerful gateway.

And hang around here, km. There are some wonderful members with lots of helpful things to say. You are on the path to full release. It is unrealistic to expect it to happen overnight. Please stay in touch, and welcome to the forum.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

peleke4

Post by peleke4 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:04 am

sometimes when I get really caught up, I play around with the images in my head. when you feel depressed/hopeless, find out the SPECIFIC thoughts/images that cross you mind. Awareness is key. those thoughts/images are what triggers the negative feelings within. You're already aware of the idea of "watching" thoughts. But once you discover those specific thoughts/images, do only one thing differently; it's quite simple and fun: slap the following in big bold letters on the top or bottom or wherever you feel it's right: "THOUGHT #1.." sort of like how people post a lame caption underneath their posted pix on myspace.

Next, become aware of the inner voice within that judges "THOUGHT #1." What does the voice say? In your case, you think, "What's the point?" Visualize an image of yourself with a "thought bubble" above you; just like how it is in comic books. In that thought bubble, see the words, "What's the point in?" inside. This image/visual is "THOUGHT #2." you're doing the same thing you did earlier.

Now, you have two images: thought #1 and thought #2. Picture both images at the same time. And when you see those two images, separate them with the corresponding captions: "THOUGHT #1" VERSUS "THOUGHT #2." see the caption in bold letters "THOUGHT #1" VS. "THOUGHT #2" on either top or bottom of the images (there is no right or wrong way to do this.. but you may want to playfully follow these steps initially.. and then later, you'll do it your own creative way that feels best for you)

Playing around with the thoughts/images in a creative manner like this will distance you from them; whereas before you were identified. It makes me "see" that the negativity isn't from the outside situation or whatever; it makes me "see" that the negatity generates all from within.. "THOUGHT #1" AND "THOUGHT #2" are in opposition to one another and this is going down all inside my head. This format allows me to "see" that all the negativity is thought-based.

Sometimes when I do this, I'll ask questions as I see the "THOUGHT #1 VS. THOUGHT #2" format: "What are those thoughts?" "Is there anything more to those thoughts than thought itself?" "Is there any substance to that?" "Does it exist in any way other than thought?" While you ask the questions, it's not supposed to be answered conceptually; it's more a feeling than anything else. Thus, place attention on how you feel and whatever feelings you feel, it's key to ALLOW it fully regardless of good or bad.

It may sound crazy playing around with images in your head. But it's just as crazy to be identified with thought and cause your own suffering. Give it a shot and see how it makes you feel.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:55 pm

I like that exercise, p4. I used to get stuck in a negative thought pattern and then arbitrarily ask: "How would a healthy person feel about xyz (the problem)?" I would ust go through the exercise of imagining that person with just the opposite response. Of course, that wasn't my real egoic response, but the exercise of imagining the opposite response was enough to defuse the energy I was throwing into the first one. I'd really get an image of this other person, like an actor visualizing a role.

The point you make at the end is the real vital one - you get to distance yourself from the big fighting thought stream... :)

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

peleke4

Post by peleke4 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:32 pm

Sighclone wrote:I like that exercise, p4. I used to get stuck in a negative thought pattern and then arbitrarily ask: "How would a healthy person feel about xyz (the problem)?" I would ust go through the exercise of imagining that person with just the opposite response. Of course, that wasn't my real egoic response, but the exercise of imagining the opposite response was enough to defuse the energy I was throwing into the first one. I'd really get an image of this other person, like an actor visualizing a role.

The point you make at the end is the real vital one - you get to distance yourself from the big fighting thought stream... :)

Namaste, Andy
are you familiar with NLP reframing? because that totally reminded me of a particular reframe method called "allness outframing." it also reminded me of anthony de mello.. he points out in his book "Awareness" that whatever issue you have, you know it's your own doing if you see the fact that other people have the same issue but aren't phased

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:23 am

I have not studied NLP, but just stumbled on this cognitive technique. I have read de Mello's "Awakening" but think I missed that part - it's a temporary energy stop post for the ego, not really a spiritual exercise...but who knows?

Namaste, Andy