urge to read more and more and more books

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
peleke4

urge to read more and more and more books

Post by peleke4 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:03 pm

The following is from a website called "theendofseeking.net"

When the end of seeking occurs the need and impulse to acquire further 'answers' dissolves.

When the end of spiritual searching occurs the urge to read more spiritual books, go to more satsangs, go to more retreats, find exciting new teachers or get the latest from a particular teacher, is not there any more.

You will know when the end of seeking occurs. This one is not difficult.

You know that it has ended. You notice that you are not seeking any more.

There has been times when that "urge" to read more books dissolved totally. But the "urge" to read another book comes up again. I'm not even gaining anything new. It's always the same stuff, just from a different angle. Even though I know that, I'm still so drawn to books. I guess my ego latched onto this after letting go of other stuff.

You see, the past four years, I've been immersed in selfhelp/personal growth.. the past year has been strictly spirituality. I got so deep into it that I neglected other areas of my life. When the "urge" to read another book or check out another audio/dvd program dissolved, I actually had the drive to focus on other areas of my life. But rather than take action and move forward in those areas, I find myself reading another book instead. I identified myself as a self-help/personal growth/spiritual book junkie.

Lately, I have been "watching" my urges to read books and stuff. I read about how a member on this site felt it was time to move on (the "I'm Out" thread). There was also another interesting thread on this site that relates to this; it was entitled something like, "Isn't discussion generating more thought?" I know it's all thought-based mental gymnastics.. but I'm still so drawn to reading books! Also, Tolle says the following about this:

"Observe in yourself the mental tendency to seek more. It is a characteristic of the human mind to always want more. The mind makes it seem that it is not always quite enough. This could also manifest in the seeker as needing to read more books. 'Maybe the answer is in that one.' See when it is time to stop. At times, the teacher may point this out to you. It's time to stop the seeking process of the mind. Look more deeply at what is already here, not analytically. Just be with one signpost with one statement and see where that takes you. It then works as it should."

I should read the above as an affirmation ten times daily. I guess my ego's latching onto this. The most important thing is for me to be aware of my urges. I won't fight it. I'll just let it be and see how things go from there.

But damn.. just like what Tolle said above ("maybe the answer is in that one") I just love reading stuff that gives me that "AH Ha!" moment. Here's a recent example:

Sri Atmananda pointed out that the pleasure one experiences

on achieving a goal or acquiring an object of desire is

wrongly ascribed to such an achievement or acquisition.

The joy does not come from fulfilling the desire, but causeless

joy, which is our true nature, shines unobstructed when

we are momentarily without desire.

This one gave me that "Ah-ha!" moment. Just like everyone (well mostly everyone), I love sex. And when I get some, the desire's no longer there during the refractory period. And because desire (which was like a huge wall preventing anything from coming through) was no longer there, a sense of contentment/satisfaction/joy shined through.

kiki

Re: urge to read more and more and more books

Post by kiki » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:49 am

Sri Atmananda pointed out that the pleasure one experiences

on achieving a goal or acquiring an object of desire is

wrongly ascribed to such an achievement or acquisition.

The joy does not come from fulfilling the desire, but causeless

joy, which is our true nature, shines unobstructed when

we are momentarily without desire.
Great quote - thanks for posting it.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:59 pm

What is wrong with you people?? You all get me to thinking and thinking!#$%#$%$#%!! :)

I'm always on the lookout for more books on nonduality. Do I expect to "learn something new?" Nope. I just like to have a good library for reference when someone asks a question, and also to have books to give away. My current favorite is by Scott Kiloby, called "Love's Quiet Revolution." SK is another damn lawyer :) . His history in form is pretty rough (drugs and wandering, etc.) But his use of language is quite effective. His site is kiloby.com.

Sometimes I will spend ten minutes flipping through a book, sometimes ten days.

It's all fun, and I can toss out the whole bookcase in a heartbeat...unless someone wants it :)

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Javonni

Post by Javonni » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:19 pm

I know it's all thought-based mental gymnastics.. but I'm still so drawn to reading books!

Me too and I am not ready to give them up. I want to absorb as much as I can for now; besides, I enjoy it and I have no guilt about it.

Maybe when I am in the nursing home and too old to read(and have sex!), then I can say I don't need that stuff anymore-I am enlightened!
:mrgreen:

J
When someone asks me who they are or what God is, I smile inside and whisper to the Light: "There you go again pretending."
~Adyashanti

doug

Post by doug » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:44 pm

would the tell here be if the reading of the books had an agenda or motive...more clothes for the Emporer?

In a nursing home "too old for reading and sex"...what about food?...and by then we will all have controlled doseage psychedelic cocktails to assist us very, very old people with the ultimate transition out of form... these days referred to as death. :mrgreen:

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:57 pm

Sighclone wrote:What is wrong with you people?? You all get me to thinking and thinking!#$%#$%$#%!! :)

I'm always on the lookout for more books on nonduality. Do I expect to "learn something new?" Nope. I just like to have a good library for reference when someone asks a question, and also to have books to give away. My current favorite is by Scott Kiloby, called "Love's Quiet Revolution." SK is another damn lawyer :) . His history in form is pretty rough (drugs and wandering, etc.) But his use of language is quite effective. His site is kiloby.com.

Sometimes I will spend ten minutes flipping through a book, sometimes ten days.

It's all fun, and I can toss out the whole bookcase in a heartbeat...unless someone wants it :)

Namaste, Andy

Hi Andy,

What do you think of my long time friend John Sherman. I love the guy when I lived in Ojai, CA I would open up my home and John would come in and do weekend Satsangs.
John to me has a way of saying very complex things in a very simple way..
I have all of Ramana Mahashri and Nisargadatta Maharaj books on my hard drive.
So if you ever need one of those let me know. The great thing about eBook like this is that they are in PdF searchable text so you can be reading I am That or Prior to consciousness or whatever and you have a cool search field so if you want to see how many places Ramana talks about ego you just type it in and there you go..
Have a nice day
Namaste
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:17 pm

John Sherman is the ultimate self-inquirer! His story about "self-discovery" in the prison shower is amusing, candid and re-affirming of the direct path, ala Ramana. I had not spent much time with him before your lead, his website is johnsherman.org - worth a visit for sure!

I'm so old school - sure I have some ebooks and even a Kindle. But you need electricity for those...etc... just gimme a battered old text and a shade tree.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:27 pm

Sighclone wrote:John Sherman is the ultimate self-inquirer! His story about "self-discovery" in the prison shower is amusing, candid and re-affirming of the direct path, ala Ramana. I had not spent much time with him before your lead, his website is johnsherman.org - worth a visit for sure!

I'm so old school - sure I have some ebooks and even a Kindle. But you need electricity for those...etc... just gimme a battered old text and a shade tree.

Namaste, Andy
Yes but the beauty of keeping the books electronic is so space saving. I have every book of Ramana and ones written about him at my fingertips but the feature I like best is they are all searchable..
John is a amazing guy
Namaste
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana