"withdrawal" symptoms due to presence

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
peleke4

"withdrawal" symptoms due to presence

Post by peleke4 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:59 am

I really didn't know what was going on until I listened to Adyashanti's "The Energetic Component of Awakening." (from The End of Your World)

I've been identified with mind pretty much all my life. Thought activity was non-stop. After dis-identifying from mind and thus thought significantly quieting down the past year, I've noticed some issues with sleep and memory.

I could sleep okay at night, but I tend to wake up around 0430am in the morning. In that half-asleep/half-awake state, thoughts have so much more pull. It's as if it's recess time for thought... it plays and runs around rampant. I focus on my breathing and inner body at times but quickly thought takes over. When I'm half-asleep, thoughts have an ansty high-strung quality to it.

When I'm fully awake on the other hand, consciousness is in the picture; thus, thought can't really run around the place because I'm "watching" it. Moreover I've been much more present-oriented than any other time in life as opposed to thinking constantly of past and future. I've also had short-term memory issues. For instance, a person would give me a seven digit # and I'd have to ask a second time because I'd immediately forget.

Adyashanti said that this is actually a normal process. It's like an alcoholic who's been abusing alcohol for years. The alcoholic's body has grown accustomed to having a steady stream of alcohol in his system through the years. When the alcoholic quits his habit, it's a shock to the system; withdrawal symptoms occur as a result.

Now consider person who has been totally identified with mind/incessant thought activity all life. In a period of time (months, years) the person dis-identifies, becomes more present-oriented, and thought activity drastically goes down. Just like the alcoholic, wouldn't this person also experience "withdrawal" symptoms of some kind?

In "The End of Your World," Adyashanti says he went through a "withdrawal" process like this. His wife performed accupuncture to help. It wasn't until four years that he was balanced out. This is an interesting phenomena

kiki

Re: "withdrawal" symptoms due to presence

Post by kiki » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:57 pm

Maybe that half asleep/half awake state is being fed by some element of the night time dream state. Be patient, accept it when it happens, and in time it will change. Whatever arises in awareness always does.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

paridiso

Post by paridiso » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:07 am

I've been experiencing something similar as well, although not as intense. Every day it gets a little bit better.

It came as a really intense disassociation with the environment, so much so that the fear it caused actually made me nauseous. Now it's not nearly as bad, it only comes a momentary panic attack like feeling. It disappears pretty quickly, it seems like whenever it arises I immediately identify it as what it really is and it doesn't affect me anymore.

Soul Seeker

Post by Soul Seeker » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:50 pm

When I first started with Tolle and the Now my memory was terrible - I would go into a room to get something and not know why I was there - that sort of thing - went on for a good 3-4 months and then eased off.
The other problem that I had was most of my life I had always looked forward to something - going out - going on a holiday - meeting a friend etc. When I read Tolle I could clearly see what I was doing - living in the future. When I gave that up everything went flat, I had become so addicted to it. I am still having some issues with it from time to time.
Though I think the hardest thing was that almost nobody could understand what I am on about. I rarely talked about it any more - I don't find the need.